• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stage/off-stage

JulesfromKS

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2024
Newbie question here…. I keep seeing posts about lodging using the phrase “off-stage” and I’m not clear what this means. A less popular area? Without having been before, how would one know if a place is “off-stage”?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If on consecutive days your guidebook has suggested you walk from A to B and then to C there are two stages, A-B and B-C. In the context of lodging, towns B and C are stage towns. A lot of people using the same guidebook as you will end up lodging at B and C. Off stage means staying in towns before or after B and C.

All the standard guidebooks ( and www.Gronze.com) have chapters (stages) - start at an obscure French provincial town, walk to a Spanish monastery. Walk from said Spanish monastery to a small Basques town with lots of Albergues and so on, all the way to Santiago ( worth finding the Show of Hands song on Ubend if you like songs with Santiago in the lyric). Radicals have been known to avoid the towns that feature in the chapter endings. This is known, in French circles as “going off-piste”. There’s another meaning in English that is not relevant to this discussion.
@JulesfromKS traveling “off-stage” just means avoiding following the herd. And availing yourself of a Camino that is entirely your Camino

Enjoy it

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here is my old list of stages from Brierly, amis.fr, and Gronze. So this is a list of places to avoid. Stop earlier or pass on by in favor of the next city. Bold cities show up as end stages in all three sources,

DayBrierlyAmis.frGronze
0SJPDPSJPDPSJPDP
1RoncesvallesRoncesvallesRoncesvalles
2LarrasoanaLarrasoanaZubri
3Cizur MenorCizur MenorPamplona
4Puenta La ReinaPuenta La ReinaPuenta La Reina
5EstellaEstellaEstella
6Los ArcosLos ArcosLos Arcos
7LogronoVianaLogrono
8NajeraNavaretteNajera
9Santo DomingoNajeraSanto Domingo
10BeloradoSanto DomingoBelorado
11San Juan de OrtegaBeloradoSan Juan
12BurgosSan JuanBurgos
13Hornillos del CaminoBurgosHornillos
14CastrojerizHornillosCastrojeriz
15FromistaCastroJerizFromista
16Carrion de Los CondesFromistaCarrion
17Terradillos de los TemplariosCarrionTerradillos
18BercianosTerradillosBercianos
19Mansilla de Las MulasBercianosMansilla
20LeonMansillaLeon
21VilladangosLeonSan Martin/Villar
22AstorgaViladangosAstorga
23Rabanal del CaminoAstorgaFoncebadon
24MolinasecaRabanalPonferrada
25Villafranca Del BierzoMolinasecaVillaFranca
26OcebreiroCacabelosOcebreiro
27TricastelaVega de ValcarceTricastela
28SarriaAlto de PoyaSarria
29PortomarinCalvorPortomarin
30Palas de ReiPortomarinPalas de Rei
31RibadisoPonte CampanaArzua
32ArcaRibadisoOpedrouzo
33Santiago de CompostelaArcaSantiago
34Santiago

Newbie question here…. I keep seeing posts about lodging using the phrase “off-stage” and I’m not clear what this means. A less popular area? Without having been before, how would one know if a place is “off-stage”?

You will also hear the term 'off Camino'.

Whilst most Pilgrims will stay at accommodation right on or very close to the actual Camino route, 'off Camino', could refer to accommodation that might be 3-4 kms or more away from the route for example.

Usually not so popular as it involves extra walking or use of transport.

It might come about because you want to see a particular attraction, or that your preferred places to start are full, but I think more commonly occurs if using a tour company to arrange your accommodation.

Some seem to have a 'knack' for booking obscure places.
I met some Pilgrims last time out who were frustrated with it.

So you can think of it in terms of:

Off stage = before or after popular overnight stops.
Off Camino = out to the left or right of the Camino route.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here is my old list of stages from Brierly, amis.fr, and Gronze. So this is a list of places to avoid.
This appears to be a somewhat cynical view of the stage towns. For the OP, most of the end of stage towns were selected by various guidebook authors or web-site development teams based on factors like their facilities being suitable to support pilgrims, as well as the distances and difficulty involved in walking to them from the last stage town. What is clear is that this makes them popular as overnight stops, which can make them crowded and finding pilgrim accommodation becomes more difficult or close to impossible at certain times of the year.

While not the only reason, that is one reason to contemplate walking a little more, or less, on any day. As @Robo has hinted at, in these circumstances, it might also be a good option to consider somewhere off-camino, as he puts it. Some places that offer off-camino accommodation will also offer to collect you from and return you to the Camino, either within the cost of the accommodation or as a small extra fee.

And if you do select a place that is off-stage for some guidebook, it is now your stage end, so for your personal camino, it is now on-stage 😇

Here is my old list of stages from Brierly, amis.fr, and Gronze. So this is a list of places to avoid. Stop earlier or pass on by in favor of the next city. Bold cities show up as end stages in all three sources,

DayBrierlyAmis.frGronze
0SJPDPSJPDPSJPDP
1RoncesvallesRoncesvallesRoncesvalles
2LarrasoanaLarrasoanaZubri
3Cizur MenorCizur MenorPamplona
4Puenta La ReinaPuenta La ReinaPuenta La Reina
5EstellaEstellaEstella
6Los ArcosLos ArcosLos Arcos
7LogronoVianaLogrono
8NajeraNavaretteNajera
9Santo DomingoNajeraSanto Domingo
10BeloradoSanto DomingoBelorado
11San Juan de OrtegaBeloradoSan Juan
12BurgosSan JuanBurgos
13Hornillos del CaminoBurgosHornillos
14CastrojerizHornillosCastrojeriz
15FromistaCastroJerizFromista
16Carrion de Los CondesFromistaCarrion
17Terradillos de los TemplariosCarrionTerradillos
18BercianosTerradillosBercianos
19Mansilla de Las MulasBercianosMansilla
20LeonMansillaLeon
21VilladangosLeonSan Martin/Villar
22AstorgaViladangosAstorga
23Rabanal del CaminoAstorgaFoncebadon
24MolinasecaRabanalPonferrada
25Villafranca Del BierzoMolinasecaVillaFranca
26OcebreiroCacabelosOcebreiro
27TricastelaVega de ValcarceTricastela
28SarriaAlto de PoyaSarria
29PortomarinCalvorPortomarin
30Palas de ReiPortomarinPalas de Rei
31RibadisoPonte CampanaArzua
32ArcaRibadisoOpedrouzo
33Santiago de CompostelaArcaSantiago
34Santiago
My research shows there are few reasonable off-stage options in some of these areas. I'd appreciate info about off-stage places near Viana, Naverett, Najera.

My research shows there are few reasonable off-stage options in some of these areas. I'd appreciate info about off-stage places near Viana, Naverett, Najera.
Gronze is a reasonable source for this sort of information. I doubt any of us individually would be as complete as that, one of the apps or a good guidebook.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Based on the feedback I received from my previous posting I've been working away at producing an updated version, with the results available at https://de-calixtinus.org You can view the release...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.