• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting back at Pamplona.

pilgrim22

Time of past OR future Camino
June 9th 2015 . June 14th 2016
Hi folks, Last June myself and my daughter flew from Ireland to Biaritz, walked from SJPP to Pamplona, Bussed to Madrid and flew home from there after a day and a half of sightseeing. We want to start again in 2016 in Pamplona where we stopped in June. My question is where is the best place to fly into that has the easiest access to Pamplona from Ireland. All suggestions will be taken on board. thanks in advance.
Regards Denis.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi folks, Last June myself and my daughter flew from Ireland to Biaritz, walked from SJPP to Pamplona, Bussed to Madrid and flew home from there after a day and a half of sightseeing. We want to start again in 2016 in Pamplona where we stopped in June. My question is where is the best place to fly into that has the easiest access to Pamplona from Ireland. All suggestions will be taken on board. thanks in advance.
Regards Denis.
Hello Denis,

Fly direct from Dublin to Bilbao and you can catch a direct bus from Bilbao to Pamplona.

There is a bus at 6pm which should dove tail nicely with the flight from Dublin.Last time I flew to Bilbao from Dublin with Aer Lingus the flight arrived at about 3.30pm in the afternoon.

Buen Camino
Peadar

Attachments

• Bilbao-Pamplona.pdf
    306.4 KB · Views: 2
It's 20-30 minutes on the airport bus to Bilbao Bus Station (it's the last stop so you can't miss it!).

The bus to Pamplona takes 2 hours and costs around €15. You can book this online in advance at http://www.autobuseslaunion.com/en/

There's a decent cafe at the bus station; I was most impressed with the large glass of very pleasant vino tinto for €0.90! Also a good luggage storage facility if you have time to explore a bit of the city - the metro and tram are both very close by.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Denis
Fly from Dublin to Biarritz, bus then to Pamplona with a change in San Sebastian. I can’t remember how long the wait in San Sebastian was but we didn’t mind. We had time to have something to eat and have a stroll around what looks like a beautiful city. We did that in ‘reverse’ 2 years ago after walking from St Jean to Estella. Some forum members have probably the exact bus timetables. If you are doing the Camino in stages (like me) you can then fly back to Dublin from Bilbao as there are loads of bus connections from any part of the Camino that you may finish at. In this way you get a taste of many different places!

Thanks so much for the advice and sorry for such a delayed reply but I have not had a chance to log on for a while ( very busy planning.) Well here it is. On Monday June 13 we catch an afternoon flight from Dublin to Bilbao and get to Bilbao bus station to get a bus to Pamplona. We start walking on the following morn and make our way over the next week to Santo Domingo. On Monday 20 june we get an early bus for Madrid where we get a 5 o clock flight to Dublin. Flying out with Aer Lingus and back with Ryan air. (all going well). Still have a few more questions for other threads but I think we have the Logistics worked fairly well, thanks to my Camino buddy who worked it all out in no time.
Buen Camino
Denis

Hi, I'm also hoping to start from Pamplona and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get there. Are there any other options flying from Ireland which get you into Pamplona earlier in the day? I was hoping to spend a little time there looking around on the day I arrive and then start walking the next day. Flying to Bilbao and taking the bus to Pamplona means I wouldn't get there until about 8pm. Then by the time I get to accommodation etc there's not a lot of time to wander around. Or perhaps it would be best to look around the next morning and have a short first day walking. I just know the next day I'll want to get started straight away :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I'm also hoping to start from Pamplona and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get there. Are there any other options flying from Ireland which get you into Pamplona earlier in the day? I was hoping to spend a little time there looking around on the day I arrive and then start walking the next day. Flying to Bilbao and taking the bus to Pamplona means I wouldn't get there until about 8pm. Then by the time I get to accommodation etc there's not a lot of time to wander around. Or perhaps it would be best to look around the next morning and have a short first day walking. I just know the next day I'll want to get started straight away :)

Best way to get from Bilbao is hourly PESA bus from Bilbao Loiu Airport BIO to outdoor bus station Plaza Pio XII San Sebastian/Donostia. ALSA has hourly bus from San Sebastian to Pamplona.

Madrid MAD has ALSA bus connections (several with stops at airport T4) and several Renfe trains to Pamplona. Pamplona has an airport with flights to Madrid.

There is San Sebastian Airport EAS located near Irun Renfe Station with flights to Madrid and Barcelona. Renfe operates trains from Irun to Pamplona. Or you can take Renfe Cercanias to San Sebastian to catch a bus to Pamplona.

Barcelona BCN. Vibasa bus (Monbus) and Renfe train leave from Sants. ALSA leaves from estacion Nord and requires transfer at Zaragosa.

Biarritz BIQ has connections to San Sebastian via Irun. Transports64 #816 bus hourly from BIQ airport to Hendaye/Irun (some terminate at Irun Renfe station). Donostialdea Metro (Euskotren) from Hendaia to San Sebastian Amara every half hour. ALSA has hourly buses from San Sebastian to Pamplona.

Aena manages Spains airports
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/aeropuertos/en/Page/1237548207921//Airport-Network.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back