• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting CF in Astorga?

jenner

Time of past OR future Camino
first camino, possibly 2022
If I start CF in Astorga, is it easier to access from Santiago or Madrid? Looking at options online, it seems like it would take about the same time from either city. Is that right? Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Alsa bus from Madrid airport T4 to Astorga.
Different daily buses with longer and shorter routes but all direct.
Thank you. By the way, how do the Alsa busses compare to the trains, seating/comfort wise? Curious.

Have you looked at Rome2Rio.com?

It would really depend on where you can fly into. It sounds like you are looking at flights to Madrid or Santiago, and trying to decide which is best.

Astorga is easiest to access from León.
Yes, trying to decide which city to fly into. It looks to me like the bus travel times are about the same from either.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not sure about Santiago, but we have accessed Astorga from Madrid and it was very easy.
Nice fast train with lovely views, with a quick change in Leon.
Literally one platform to the next.
On the way into Astorga the train goes along next to the Camino :)

Just looking through train timetables. Not sure that fast train connection still runs though.

Last edited:
Buses are pretty comfortable and some have wifi. Almost always cheaper than the train and often leaving more often. Trains are usually pretty comfortable (some exceptions of course) and some have wifi and some don't. Usually more expensive. This summer I took eight different trips during my 6 wks in Spain by train and bus. Some were train/bus connections, others just bus or just train. If I were going to Astorga from Madrid, I would probably take the bus from the Airport. It is just easier than getting to the train station from the airport when you are tired after a long flight to catch a train. However, if you plan to stay overnight in Madrid the first night then the train could also be a good option.

Going on to Santiago or Leon adds another leg to your flight and sometimes that is the next day and then you still have to get to the bus/train station to take a bus or train to Astorga.

However, all these options are usually possible and it just is up to you. I am always very jet lagged when I arrive from the States and need a couple of days before I can start walking. I like to stay overnight in Madrid, travel to where I will start walking by bus or train and then stay another night to help me overcome the jetlag.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another question is how easy is it to fly into Sarria or León vs Madrid?
Usually there aren't as many options when flying into small airports, and there are often more connections that need to be made.

If I start CF in Astorga, is it easier to access from Santiago or Madrid? Looking at options online, it seems like it would take about the same time from either city. Is that right? Thanks!
I found the bus from the Madrid airport direct to Astorga to work perfectly for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks like you are from the US. I suspect you will be flying through Madrid to get to Santiago. In that case going to Santiago is an extra step.
I suggest you train from Madrid to Leon. Spend a day or two recovering from jet lag and seeing this beautiful city. You can then go on to Astorga. Keep in mind that they don’t post bus and train schedules far in advance, so it may appear that this isn’t possible. It is.

Next october I'll fly into Bilbao (from Amsterdam) and then take a direct train to Astorga.
Normally I take a bus. Is very good.

I am flying from Madrid to Santiago on August 31st. On Sept. 2nd I am taking the 8.00AM train to Astorga, arriving about 1.00 PM. I am staying that night at Albergue Las Aguedas in the village of Murias de Rechivalda, some 4 KM from Astorga on the way to Rabanal del Camino. Las Aguedas is on of my all-time favourite albegues, and have stayed there 3 times before.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will will take the AVE train from Madrid-Chamartin. It was suggested to me on this forum that I might opt to take the Confort class (1st Class), which is just a few dollars more, and provides more space and some solo seats. I was able to purchase my ticket just the other night. There are a few trains following that one should I miss it due to delays, but am hoping that 3+ hours will be enough time to get through Customs and to the station.

Thank you. By the way, how do the Alsa busses compare to the trains, seating/comfort wise? Curious.
I am 6'2". I have more legroom on the bus if I sit on the aisle than the train. They are both comfortable but I have always been on a train where the seats face each other so if it is crowded I can't stretch out anywhere near as well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back