• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting In Burgos and questions about pilgrim passport

Cbee03

Time of past OR future Camino
Future - Camino Frances June 7th 2022
Hi everyone,
I'm starting my camino next week from Burgos, but will arrive in the city at 6.30am. I was hoping to get started with walking straight away, but don't have my pilgrim passport yet. Does anyone know if there is anywhere in Burgos I could get my passport that early? Is it necessary to have one before I start walking to get into Albergues?
Or do you think it would be better to spend a few hours on Burgos and have a shorter day of walking?
Thank you!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone,
I'm starting my camino next week from Burgos, but will arrive in the city at 6.30am. I was hoping to get started with walking straight away, but don't have my pilgrim passport yet. Does anyone know if there is anywhere in Burgos I could get my passport that early? Is it necessary to have one before I start walking to get into Albergues?
Or do you think it would be better to spend a few hours on Burgos and have a shorter day of walking?
Thank you!!
You will need a credencial to stay in most municipal and religious albergues. Private albergues may be less particular about it. The main albergue near the cathedral issues credencials and you may be able to get one there in the morning - though perhaps not at 06:30.

Should you set off straight away? Entirely up to you. But if you have been travelling for a long time and overnight you might be more tired than you are imagining. My own preference would be to take the first day very slowly and perhaps just walk a short distance so you can get some proper rest ready for longer stages ahead.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
True. But if @Cbee03 is there before the albergue closes in the morning (8am?) then it might be possible to pick up a credencial.
Good idea. Another early possiblity is the ticket office of the cathedral which years ago sold Credentials. They open at 8:30.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions!! It seems like there is lots of possibilities of what I can do so I will keep all of these in mind when I get to the city and decide what I feel like doing from there. Thanks again :)

You have options.
Stay the night. Walking a long day the next morning.
Leave after lunch, walking to Rabé or Tardajos - quite a bit shorter.

I love staying in this private alberge in Rabé. It's a special place:
Albergue Liberanos Domine
Plaza Francisco Riberas 10, Rabe de las Calzadas

One of my favorites west of Burgos but before the Meseta was La Fabrica in Tardajos. See more here

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
love staying in this private alberge in Rabé. It's a special place:
Albergue Liberanos Domine
Plaza Francisco Riberas 10, Rabe de las Calzadas
Exactly my own thoughts 💕

My all-time favourite small albergue.

Thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions!! It seems like there is lots of possibilities of what I can do so I will keep all of these in mind when I get to the city and decide what I feel like doing from there. Thanks again :)
The main pilgrim office by the plaza next to the cathedral opens at 9-4. and they have credentials. We got ours at the albergue municipal though. And we only walked to tardajos the first day staying at la fabrica. It was lovely ! And the grilled food was yummy too. Buen camino !

If you haven't visited Burgos before, I would strongly recommend spending several hours, if not the whole day in the city. There is so much to see! At the very least you should visit the Cathedral. Will you really arrive in the city at 6:30 a.m. or is that the time your flight arrives? If it's the latter, it will be much later that you get into the city itself. You may still have time to get a credencial from Ivar or the Confraternity of St James [csj.org.uk] If you do visit the Cathedral, I think there is a charge for admission, reduced if you present a credencial (I think), so get your credencial first if you can.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One more vote for staying a day in Burgos. I have passed through twice and each time there seemed to an evening festival. YMMV.

Hi everyone,
Thank you!!
I ordered a Pilgrim Passport at home to take with me as thought I might arrive too late to get one. Bit more expensive but I ordered through Etsy

I ordered a Pilgrim Passport at home to take with me as thought I might arrive too late to get one. Bit more expensive but I ordered through Etsy
And they can always be purchased right here on the Camino forum store.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back