• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in St Jean June 2021

Jeff Mayor

Time of past OR future Camino
French, Port, VDLP, Aragon, Levante, Ebro: 04-22
First time starting from St-Jean-Pied-De-Port: June 2021. Any recommendations on which route to take over the mountains would be appreciated. Also first night in SJ recommendations would be helpful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Saint Jean, I liked the albergue Kaserna... Used to be donativo, don’t know if it still is.
i have only walked the ‘Napoleon’ route so can’t advise on the other but this time, I am going to try Valcarlos 🙂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked both and like both. The lower route starts out on the paved road but eventually takes you through the glorious mountains. I also like the option of staying overnight at a private accommodation with a kitchen in Valcarlos (about halfway). There are good shopping options before you get there and also in Valcarlos. This allows me to linger for another day for a slower start if I'm still jetlagged.

Beilari in St. Jean is highly recommended if available. Book/inquire right away.

I too recommend Kaserna. It is not donativo anymore. 18 euros, with diner and breakfast included. Kind hospitaleros. In the current circumstances, you need to check previously if albergues are still open.
There are tons of info in this forum about SJPP and both routes; use the search function, as above mentioned.
The Napoleon route is the generally preferred, It is tough, but with breathtaking, unique views. The Valcarlos option is easier, more gradual (but with some steep sections, anyway), and much less crowded. It goes by farms, villages and woods (with a bit along a highway).
I enjoyed both routes. Basically it is up to your preferences, confidence on your fitness level, etc.
I stayed in the municipal albergue in Valcarlos; it is very comfortable, with a kitchen. It is a lovely Basque village.

€46,-
Beilari is as wonderful an albergue as you will find anywhere.
Both routes have steep ascents. The Napoleon route has your climb at the beginning and the Valcarlos has your climb towards the end. Both are pretty but the vistas of the mountains on the Napoleon route is something you should not miss. The Napoleon route also has a steep descent. There is an alternative path to the right of the camino that has a much mellower slope down to Roncesvallas. You can break up both by either staying in Orison or in Valcarlos. If you go the Napoleon and sleep in Orison the walk the next day is much easier.

I have only done the napoleon route. But I have done it twice and was awed both times. It has some special meaning for WWII buffs as it was the route used by the Basque to rescue airmen who were shot down in France.
Plan to stay in Orison. Great stopping point and you will meet your new friends at dinner.
Buen Camino -- Bob

First time starting from St-Jean-Pied-De-Port: June 2021. Any recommendations on which route to take over the mountains would be appreciated. Also first night in SJ recommendations would be helpful.
Either route is good. I have walked them both.

The Napoleon route is steeper in the beginning and has an Albergue in Orisson 8km up the path and now a new one another km past that.

The Val Carlos route is less steep in the beginning and has a village with accommodations and food @ at the 11km mark. If rainy weather, this route allows for road walking.

Buen Camino
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too recommend Kaserna. It is not donativo anymore. 18 euros, with diner and breakfast included. Kind hospitaleros. In the current circumstances, you need to check previously if albergues are still open.
There are tons of info in this forum about SJPP and both routes; use the search function, as above mentioned.
The Napoleon route is the generally preferred, It is tough, but with breathtaking, unique views. The Valcarlos option is easier, more gradual (but with some steep sections, anyway), and much less crowded. It goes by farms, villages and woods (with a bit along a highway).
I enjoyed both routes. Basically it is up to your preferences, confidence on your fitness level, etc.
I stayed in the municipal albergue in Valcarlos; it is very comfortable, with a kitchen. It is a lovely Basque village.
Kaserna is listed as 20 euros on the Gronze website and also on the Au coeur du chemin forum.That tariff does include an excellent breakfast and evening meal.Kaserna is a very popular gîte .From my experience it's possible to book the day before preferably in the morning as it books out very quickly.

Either route is good. I have walked them both.

The Napoleon route is steeper in the beginning and has an Albergue in Orisson 8km up the path and now a new one another km past that.

The Val Carlos route is less steep in the beginning and has a village with accommodations and food @ at the 11km mark. If rainy weather, this route allows for road walking.

Buen Camino
Joe
Thanks Joe for your advise. I'll be there in 3 weeks and it is currently raining from what I have observed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kaserna is listed as 20 euros on the Gronze website and also on the Au coeur du chemin forum.That tariff does include an excellent breakfast and evening meal.Kaserna is a very popular gîte .From my experience it's possible to book the day before preferably in the morning as it books out very quickly.
Thanks for your detailed advise; much appreciated.

I enjoy the Napoleon route. However, where it turns off the road onto the dirt, I just continue on the road. The views are just as nice, and I don't miss trekking through the mud.
Also, at the summit, I also take the road down these days.
Less slippery and just as pretty imo.
Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated.

I have only done the napoleon route. But I have done it twice and was awed both times. It has some special meaning for WWII buffs as it was the route used by the Basque to rescue airmen who were shot down in France.
Plan to stay in Orison. Great stopping point and you will meet your new friends at dinner.
Buen Camino -- Bob
Thanks Bob; great bit of history.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Beilari is as wonderful an albergue as you will find anywhere.
Both routes have steep ascents. The Napoleon route has your climb at the beginning and the Valcarlos has your climb towards the end. Both are pretty but the vistas of the mountains on the Napoleon route is something you should not miss. The Napoleon route also has a steep descent. There is an alternative path to the right of the camino that has a much mellower slope down to Roncesvallas. You can break up both by either staying in Orison or in Valcarlos. If you go the Napoleon and sleep in Orison the walk the next day is much easier.
Thanks, good to know.

I walked both and like both. The lower route starts out on the paved road but eventually takes you through the glorious mountains. I also like the option of staying overnight at a private accommodation with a kitchen in Valcarlos (about halfway). There are good shopping options before you get there and also in Valcarlos. This allows me to linger for another day for a slower start if I'm still jetlagged.

Beilari in St. Jean is highly recommended if available. Book/inquire right away.
Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

Kay,
Do you remember the name of the private accommodation you stayed at in Valcarlos?

€46,-
Has anyone heard of the BOE (Boletin Oficial del Estacdo)? There is a notice on it (haven't seen it myself but saw something on FB) stating that the date to open Spain to EU and USA has been moved (tentatively) to June 30.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back