• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the camino from sjdp on 27 August 2013

Kiwicamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Hey there
We are a couple from NZ in our 40's who are planning to start our Camino from SJDP on August the 27 2013. Is it recommended that we book accommodation or will the albergues usually have space at this time?
How busy is it in the last week of August on the camino ?
Are there any others starting their camino in this day?
Regards
Nicola and Jaimie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There were 2,406 compostelas issued today! Of course, the pilgrims left one month to one week ago. Expect August to be pretty busy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you can get to SJPDP around 4:00 to 5:00PM, go straight to the Pilgrims office first and get your credential stamped and registered, and they will be able to offer you a bed for 8 euros with breakfast included.

G'day fellow Kiwis
If you've got a booking it doesn't matter how busy it is does it?
I started last year form SJPDP on 31st Aug.
I booked great accommodation there at
http://www.aubergedupelerin.com/
(Use Google Chrome if you need a translation)
Being a slow starter I stayed the first night 8ks up the mountain at Orisson. You may be lucky to get a booking at this late stage if you decide you wish to stay there.
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/
The second night at the monastery at Roncesvalles.
http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/

Buen Camino
Gerard

Kiwicamino said:
We are a couple from NZ in our 40's who are planning to start our Camino from SJDP on August the 27 2013. Is it recommended that we book accommodation or will the albergues usually have space at this time?
Welcome to the pilgrims' round table :wink: You will be running into September, which can be busy at times, though not comparable to July and August. We have done this Francés several times during the same period and basically found that a) one should avoid the "classic" stops and b) there always was a bed available or directions to an available bed. :D
The main issue of accommodation scarcity starts from Sarria, the last approx. 100 km to Santiago. By the time you reach this town, crowds might have reduced a bit. There are so many alternative albergues, hostals, private accommodations, that you shouldn't worry too much at the first "no space" notice. Ask for help at albergues, hostals, bars, restaurants, and you'll get fixed up, even late in the evening. After all, everybody living along the Camino is used to meeting pilgrims in these situations and is very willing to help. And you'll not spend an arm and a leg :lol:
Should you feel more comfortable, you can book at private albergues but not municipal ones. Hostals often can be an inexpensive alternative.
Buen camino :!:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's really helpful thank you. We arrive in SJDP at 7.30pm. What time does the pilgrim office close? Or open in the morning?
We are a bit worried that we will
Be arriving too late to get a bed somewhere or our passports..

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The Pilgrim Office is open until 2130, or until after the last train has arrived, if it is late, which it rarely is. They are accustomed to aiding the late arriving pilgrims, but your 1930 arrival will give you plenty of time. Click "dormez" on this page, and you can see your opportunities to make a reservation:

http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasq ... isme.com/#

Hi, great advice given already, we stayed at Gite Azkorria in SJPP, it was super and the food divine.
You may want to look at the lower route via Valcarlos, it is much more historical and cynics say the Orrisson Route is a marketing ploy for the person who owns the accommodation along this route...who knows! I walked the Napoleons in dense fog...not much of an experience and found Orrisson cold, miserable, damp and tedious to spend the afternoon in...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Valcarlos, it is much more historical
Romans and pilgrims never took a tougher route when an easier one was available! The original route is probably under the asphalt. The usual sequence of development was footpath -- cart track -- Roman road -- automobile route -- paved route.

The Roncevaux Pass is located between the towns of Roncesvalles and Luzaide/Valcarlos in Navarra, and was the site of Roland's defeat by the Basque. Battles often were away from the main roads, and were selected by commanders for the advantages of terrain and surprise. There is a monument at the traditional place said to be the site of the battle on the Valcarlos route.

I walked valcaros route only once, good walk and very doable in one day, option to stay in valcaros alberge always there, I have walked napoleon route 5 times, enjoyable , but it's your camino, Buen camino

Since I am old and walk slowly I have only followed the Valcarlos alternative through the mountains as opposed to the Napoleonic route over the mountain. Valcarlos it is the ONLY way open in snow. The new municipal albergue is VERY comfortable with good heat, blankets and showers. You can reserve in advance if you wish. For more info see http://www.luzaide-valcarlos.net/. Last October two other pilgrims and I spent the night there before tediously climbing up to Ibaneta and Roncevalles the next day. That stretch is NEVER easy! Be prepared with trail snacks and water since there is only one fountain along the way. You can read other pilgrim comments on the Valcarlos alternative here >> el-camino-frances/topic16075.html

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Nicola and Jaimie,

I am setting off from SJPDP on August 31st, you never know maybe ill catch up with the two of you by the time we get to Santiago! Ill keep my eyes peeled. Buen Camino! Dave.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back