• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying in Bayonne without pre-booking?

LizArmstrong

Time of past OR future Camino
1st: August 2013
Hi all,

In my excellent preparation for my first Camino, I have somehow left booking my accommodation to the last minute and have now discovered that seemingly every hotel and hostel in Biarritz and Bayonne is full or well out of budget.

If I get the bus from Biarritz to Bayonne, am I likely to find a room somewhere near the station? Has anyone done this before? I want to avoid wandering Bayonne all night waiting for the train but equally just can't run to the costs of the guesthouses I've found online. I arrive at 21.30 on Tuesday (6th) Aug.

Thanks for any advice. I have planned better for the rest of it, I promise!

Liz

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I tried expedia.ca ... and its quite expensive (cheapest $117 though only 1 km from station) ... it doesn't look like there are other options.

Can you delay your arrival so you don't have to stay there?

Hi try using this link http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/ when you get through look at the heading Accueil et Hebergents and one of the subheadings there will take you to pilgrim related accommodation in Bayonne. The website belongs to the friends od St Jacques in the Pyrenees/ Atlantique region. You will have to provide a credencial to stay at any of the places listed and that your first stamp will come from there.

Buen Camino

Mike

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Liz
What a predicament.

You may want to email Caroline apcaroline@hotmail.com at Express Burricote to see if there is room to share or contact the site at http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/contact.html.

There maybe someone on your flight who wants to share a taxi. At this point it would be cheaper than staying in Bayonne because of all beds full. Even if you had to do a taxi yourself the cost would still be cheaper at 80 Euro? Hopefully you will find someone to share. I'm guessing there would be a few taxi's outside the airport waiting for customers.

You will get to St Jean in about an hour. I've read that the pilgrims office doesn't close until after the last train gets in and that is around the same time you would arrive. I would go directly to the office so they can help you find a bed at regular pilgrims prices. Whew!!

Wait, I just found this post from Margaret who really knows her stuff.

"In SJPdP the Pilgrims' office ie the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle In season is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. Telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. They can provide you with a Credential or Pilgrim Passport and lodging assistance.

These volunteers also help run the municipal albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay, but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find lodgings when you are on site. Margaret"

May the Lord be with you Liz and Buen Camino,
Angela :D

Liz,

All the above answers are helpful. I trust that you are arriving at the Biarritz airport. If all else fails from the airport CALL the pilgrim office in SJPdP of the Amies du Chemin de St Jacques. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09 and ask them for help. Explain your situation. Their volunteers speak many languages.

Do NOT try to wander the streets alone during the night.

In Bayonne the Monte Carlo, 11 rue Hugues, is a small, inexpensive place which is conveniently opposite the rr station (Gare SNCF). Slightly off the expensive tourist grid they might have rooms. Here is their web >> http://hotel-montecarlo.allcommerces.com/. Next morning you could easily catch the early TER line 62 train to SJPdP.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

If you are trying to book in Bayonne or Biarritz in August you are definitely going have a hard time finding a place available. August is the height of the tourist season and there are more people here than ever before in my memory, even finding a place park is next to impossible.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, Mike & Jean-Luc, for these links! I'll be arriving in Bayonne 22 Sept - how busy are these places likely to be?
Terry (68-yo female)

OTH86 said:
... how busy are these places likely to be?
Terry (68-yo female)

Terry,

I don't think it should be a problem considering that September is a quieter month and that St-Leon can accommodate up to 100 persons.
Have a good one,
Jean-Marc

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One thing I will add is that the Maison Dicoesaine in Bayonne does not usually accept guests on a Sunday, one of our forum members(FatmaG) managed to stay there on a Sunday when she walked the Batzan route but they are normally closed.

Oops - sorry Jean-Marc! I gave you a new name! :oops:

Thanks to both of you for the additional info!
Terry

Quite right! The school holidays end on 2 September so a large number of tourist will probably have gone home over the last weekend of August. Granted there are still some tourists visiting here until the middle of September and for whatever reason there are many, many young backpackers wandering around town right now.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm arriving Bayonne, 2013-09-07 at 20h44 after 8 hours or more on the train, and after a long flight from the west coast of Canada ....... so far I'm flummoxed trying to find an Albergue for a bed for the night.

Any helpful suggestions as to how to find a hostel, and secondly, how to contact them by email.

I read somewhere that there was one in the centre of Bayonne next to the cathedral, but I can't find anyway to contact via email or a website.

thx

Old Koot,

In Bayonne there is no albergue as such but the Maison Diocesaine Saint Leon provides simple accommodation for pilgrims. See >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/maison-diocesaine-saint-leon . The site lists an email address.

Also the Monte Carlo, 11 rue Hugues, is a small, inexpensive hotel conveniently close to the rr station (GareSNCF). Here is their web which also lists an email address >> http://hotel-montecarlo.allcommerces.com/.

Next morning you can easily catch the early TER line 62 train to SJPdP.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I tried expedia.ca ... and its quite expensive (cheapest $117 though only 1 km from station) ... it doesn't look like there are other options.

Can you delay your arrival so you don't have to stay there?
much info, but no one answers the question. Is there an albergue/gite in Bayonne for pilgrims?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back