• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying in smaller albergues

long trails

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012
I am only a few days into my Camino and already seeing some familar faces and also large groups forming. Understand this is the way, but sometimes the larger albergues can feel a little impersonal, particularly when these large groups are there.

I have found the smaller private albergues to be a little more sociable, but actually prefer the municipal ones, but they tend to be larger of course!

I think the issue is the large numbers of people on this Camino now, and while I am going to finish it, I think I will enjoy the quieter caminos in the future.

I travel a lot, and always find it easier to meet people 'off the beaten track'. Maybe it's just me, but when these large groups form, it can be a little hard to break in, unless you get in there early.

Would be interested what others think and if they have found the same.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If the social scene at the small albergues is what you like, why do you say you prefer the municipal ones? What's the appeal?

My experience is limited to a short time in 2012, but I don't remember anything I would call a group. We were alone or in pairs and occasionally formed a group for tapas or dinner, maybe six, but no group ever lasted more than a few hours. How large are the groups you are seeing?

Well money isn't too much of an issue, but I am paying €5 tonight when I could be paying €15 in a private one. That alone makes the municipal ones a better option.

Guess the groups are 5 and 6s. They tend to be either all Spanish speakers, or all in their 20s or 60s. I and speak no Spanish, in my 40s, a little introvert by nature, so it's not easy.

Just been one of those days, will probably be a little more positive tomorrow!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have travelled the camino alone in the past. I found that I often had to take the bull by the horns and simply ask people if I could join them. Once you do it the first time, it becomes easier. It won't be long before you are craving solitude again.

Don't overthink the whole thing. Just stay in whichever albergue looks best for you at the time.
On my first CF I stayed mostly in municipals. On the other two I stayed mostly in private ones. I just played it by ear when I got to each town.

I am only a few days into my Camino and already seeing some familar faces and also large groups forming. Understand this is the way, but sometimes the larger albergues can feel a little impersonal, particularly when these large groups are there.

I have found the smaller private albergues to be a little more sociable, but actually prefer the municipal ones, but they tend to be larger of course!

I think the issue is the large numbers of people on this Camino now, and while I am going to finish it, I think I will enjoy the quieter caminos in the future.

I travel a lot, and always find it easier to meet people 'off the beaten track'. Maybe it's just me, but when these large groups form, it can be a little hard to break in, unless you get in there early.

Just stay in the albergue that feels good. My wife did that on here Camino's and I did the same on mine. It worked fine for us.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yea all good advice, particularly forcing your way in, half a bottle of wine did the trick!

I have spent much of my life overthinking, something I am slowly shrugging. I think as you get older, you care less, which is no bad thing.

Buen Camino. I also think you are over thinking. Groups by nature are always a problem. 5 or 6 people can dominate a albergue. They take over kitchen, showers etc. On quieter Camino. Norte, Primativo seldom see groups so more friendly

They say the Camino is 3 journeys - the physical, mental, and spiritual, and it takes time to find and adjust to your own rhythm and way. I have stayed in both large and small albergues, municipal and private, and each night was different. Sometimes there was camaraderie and sometimes not. I was amazed on both my caminos to discover that certain pilgrims develop bonds with certain pilgrims and become "family or friends." Most of my camino friends I met while walking, not in the albergues. What drew us together? Why did I connect with them instead of the hundreds who passed along each day? It was not age because my friends ranged from 20s to 70s. In fact, a young pilgrim shared the wisdom that the best Camino magic seems to happen if you don't plan. So accept and let the Camino provide. Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a couple we tend to be our own little group and can sometimes feel isolated. Lately I've found that as people pass us or we pass them I ask where they are from. We had a delightful conversation with a Japanese gentleman today as we were walking. He shook our hands before he moved on, repeated our names several times so he would remember and hoped that he would meet us down the road. Also, we have Texas flags on our packs and that is often a conversation starter. We also have Camino Forum patches, but no one has commented on them! I guess not that many of us are on the Frances now.

Well money isn't too much of an issue, but I am paying €5 tonight when I could be paying €15 in a private one. That alone makes the municipal ones a better option.

Guess the groups are 5 and 6s. They tend to be either all Spanish speakers, or all in their 20s or 60s. I and speak no Spanish, in my 40s, a little introvert by nature, so it's not easy.

Just been one of those days, will probably be a little more positive tomorrow!

We solo walkers use to be more willing and open to meet others. It's easier to chat with us. And also easier to get a real friendship.

You can always walk one longer/shorter stage in order to change the people you see everyday. And maybe you will find yourself more comfortable.

Yea, to be honest since I started thread it's been easy to connect with people, and yes by taking a short or long day, you have a whole bunch of new folk. Seems silly now looking back at my original post!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Why silly? I don't think so. It was just what you were feeling.

As long as you respect others you have the right to feel good, uncomfortable, distant, lonely or whatever.

On the North Way, at Deba's albergue I didn't feel attracted (non sexual meaning, here :p) to anybody and I felt a bit lonely. However, at Bilbao's albergue I really enjoyed talking and having dinner with nine strangers.

There weren't large groups in Deba, but everybody seemed to know one other person at least and I was the only solitary. Moreover, as I said, I didn't feel attracted to anybody; maybe because of the way they talked, their body language or just because of the moment I was at. I don't know. None talked to me and I didn't talk to anyone.

We all have better and worse days.

Yea all good advice, particularly forcing your way in, half a bottle of wine did the trick!

I have spent much of my life overthinking, something I am slowly shrugging. I think as you get older, you care less, which is no bad thing.
Way to go. Onwards and upwards.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back