• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stop Half Way between Pamplona and Puente La Reina

Vonnie

Time of past OR future Camino
French Way - 2015
Hi All, planning a return trip for May. As we will not arrive into Pamplona until afternoon time but wish to walk on Day 1 can anyone recommend somewhere half way to stay between Pamplona to Puente La Reina. Not sure we would make it all the way to PLR before dark, im assuming we would need 4,5 hours (good fitness levels)?
Thanks
Yvonne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was going to suggest what Dougfritz just did. When I walked this route in July I spent the night in the hotel in Zizur Mayor (there was only one; it had a bathtub and AC). The town is very much residential and there weren't many dining options. I walked to a nearby Burger King for dinner because the hotel restaurant was pretty expensive. The next day I continued on to PLR.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Zariquiegui - it is about halfway, probably a little less (11-12km), before Alto del Perdon. It has two lodgings - La Posada de Ardogi and Albergue San Andres.

Last edited:
We really enjoyed the Albergue Del Perdon in Uterga. Just 17km from Pamplona. If you are worried about coming in late and having no bed, they take reservations. They are below Alto del Perdon and because of this make sure it is not dark when you descend. I liked choosing my steps to avoid loose rocks on that descent.

I am another one who tries to get away from St John's recommended stage stops. SO try Uterga (about an hour down the western side from the Alto del Perdon). I stayed in Camino del Perdon but have good recommendations for Casa Baztan. Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Zariquiegui - it is about halfway, probably a little less (11-12km), before Alto del Perdon. It has two lodgings - La Posada de Ardogi and Albergue San Andres.
At last report last summer the albergues at Zariqiegui had not reopened. We stayed at San Andres in 2016 and really enjoyed it. Hope they will reopen this season.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Two good albergues in Uterga.
If you don't have a guidebook already I recommend you get one. They're quite useful for planning a Camino.
Gronze.com is also a very good resource.

Many years ago I stayed in the municipal in Uterga.
Just two beds.
It was a sweet experience.
Anyway, just reminiscing. Lots of good options mentioned above.
Just depends on how far you want to walk and if you want to stop before or after Perdon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
At last report last summer the albergues at Zariqiegui had not reopened. We stayed at San Andres in 2016 and really enjoyed it. Hope they will reopen this season.
And Gronze reports that one of the albergues in Cizer Menor closed last year. It will pay to confirm what albergues are going to be open before setting out from Pamplona thinking there will be a reasonable selection of choices before Uterga.

Gronze.com is also a very good resource.
I'm sure it is but good old fashioned book is hard to beat, especially for somebody new researching, and I can't stand apps. 😄 Detached human beings noses buried deep in a device.

Having recently walked through there, albeit in Winter and towards France rather than towards Santiago, I would personally suggest Uterga as a stopping point, though Muruzábal looks good too. Though for a stronger walker, I would assume that would lead to walking on further than Puente La Reina on the following day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All, planning a return trip for May. As we will not arrive into Pamplona until afternoon time but wish to walk on Day 1 can anyone recommend somewhere half way to stay between Pamplona to Puente La Reina. Not sure we would make it all the way to PLR before dark, im assuming we would need 4,5 hours (good fitness levels)?
Thanks
Yvonne
Albergue de Maribel Roncal, Cizur Menor? It's a pretty place. Take your time and enjoy Pamplona? Have a gentle first day? In fact have a gentle day everyday🙂

Reading on a phone or other device is no more detached than reading a book.
I saw a pilgrim just outside of Los Arcos so engrossed in their device he walked off the path, stumbled went down and did a great roll and recovery back up. He brished himself off and meandered down the path, nose still in device lol
I call them Camino zombies

That's true, but with a significant climb to the Alto de Perdon in the middle that needs to be factored in. I would add 4.5 km in equivalent distance for any walking time calculations.
Fair point, I always planned based on 2 KM/hr. That included all stops, eating, sightseeing, pictures etc and it worked well for us. Always made it to our stop when planned or early. I am a slow walker, many folks passed me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I saw a pilgrim just outside of Los Arcos so engrossed in their device he walked off the path, stumbled went down and did a great roll and recovery back up. He brished himself off and meandered down the path, nose still in device lol
That has nothing to do with preference of using a book over an app or website to plan your Camino, but more to do with knowing the proper time and place to use a book or an app.

They are below Alto del Perdon and because of this make sure it is not dark when you descend. I liked choosing my steps to avoid loose rocks on that descent.
An alternative, at any time of the day is this:

Having crested Alto del Perdon and admired the silhouettes, then:

1) turn right down the hill for about 2 km;

2) towards the bottom turn left (on the slip road) onto the NA-1110; or
2a) continue down on the bridge and around in a semi-circle to pass under the bridge;

3) about 1 km on, at a well formed and signed intersection, turn left on to the NA-6016
** (ignore pilgrim signage, unless you want to go Punta la Reina at this time)

4) a very short way on, see the sign to Uterga (ignore motorway details);

5) keeping to the left (facing oncoming) pass under the motorway;

6) at another roundabout follow the sign to Uterga, now less than 3 km away.

The total for this alternative is about 6 km.

The direct walkers route, from Alto del Perdon, loose rocks and all, is about 4 km

Either way one drops from about 800 m asl at Alto del Perdon to 500 m asl at Uterga. By road, the drop is quite gentle and no loose rocks are encountered.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last July, on my second Camino Francés, I went from Larrasoana to Uterga. It was Saint Fermin festivities in Pamplona so too crowded for my taste. In Cizur Menor, only the Albergue de Orden de Malta was open. In Zariquiegui, both albergues were closed. So I chose to stay in Albergue Camino del Perdón, in Uterga. Following day went to Estella, since Puente de la Reina was too close. Also decided to visit Ermita de Eunate (detour in Muruzábal).

I'm sure it is but good old fashioned book is hard to beat, especially for somebody new researching, and I can't stand apps. 😄 Detached human beings noses buried deep in a device.
As someone who dearly loves books (as the enormous number of bookcases in my domicile attest, along with the stacks and stacks of books that won't fit on the bookshelves) I still find myself wondering how one is more detached with a nose buried deep in a device than one is with a nose buried deep in a book (as mine often is).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And I have spent years of my life, probably, reading a book while walking down streets. I developed good peripheral vision, which almost always was enough to prevent mishaps.

As far as I know, one of the albergues in Cizur Menor reopened (Maribel Roncal has retired and her albergue is closed permanently). And in Zariquiegui there is zero accommodation and very likely zero bar too. I don't know much about caminosleeps, but it is not accurate for these two places.... Zariquiegui has not had an albergue for over a year now.

And I have spent years of my life, probably, reading a book while walking down streets. I developed good peripheral vision, which almost always was enough to prevent mishaps.
I'm sure you have 🤭

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I’ve seen people falling down the stairs of train stations and metros more times than I can count. I’ve helped a lost senior citizen on camino who was somehow still making use of an ancient Walkman to listen to music and got lost in the music…
I’ve seen overly trusting groups of pilgrims follow the arrogant leader 5K out of their way in the darkness of pre-dawn.
I’ve met a walker who refused to carry any guidebook at all because he wanted to ‘trust the yellow arrows’ but the reality was that he had to glean what he could from people who did have guides and maps and apps.
*Anything* can be a distraction. A tool is a tool and has no moral bearing on the character of the person using it.
Printed words are printed words.
Some of us would rather carry literally hundreds of books in our pockets than try to cart around the things we are reading.
Seriously… on a camino I am usually consulting two or more guides, and also reading at least 2 books at night.
I’m not going to carry 5 books around just to please some stranger’s assessment of my character based on *how* I access my materials.
If a person *wants* to carry that much paper (tearing out pages as they go!) that is up to them, but there’s no need to moralize about how people read.
As my own vision deteriorates with age, I like to increase the font size of my books and use other accessibility features not possible with paper.
Maybe another pilgrim simply prefers to read on a device.

If a person *wants* to carry that much paper (tearing out pages as they go!) that is up to them, but there’s no need to moralize about how people read.
On my first Camino someone ahead of me had been tearing pages out of Elias Valiña's guidebook for use as toilet paper. I assume from stages already behind us though for obvious reasons I didn't choose to verify that. The size and format of the book was very distinctive. One situation where paper has a real advantage over electronic formats.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And in Zariquiegui there is zero accommodation and very likely zero bar too.
There's a little shop, selling coffee, drinks, fruit and veg, some other snacks and foodstuffs. Quite pricey, cool drinks cost double the price of room temperature ones for example, but it does at least exist.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks
Yvonne
In my opinion, it’s all about the hill.
Your choice really comes down to whether you want to tackle the big hill at Alto del Perdon on your first day. I would recommend not since the shin splint I got on that hill almost ruined my Camino.

If you don’t want to tackle that, you should stop at Zizur mayor, even though it’s a relatively quick walk from Pamplona.

Whatever you do, in May, on your first day with a late arrival, you should probably make reservations. If your question was actually about specific accommodation reservations, I don’t have one. I stayed at Baztan in Uterga, which was fine.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good news! The Albergue San Andrés in Zariquiegui has reopened. Same name, different location but still with a bar and also a whatsapp number.

More details here.
Good to know. We stayed there in 2016 and it looks like they have grown a little in size. I remember staying in a room with 11 beds (5 bunks and 1 on the floor) plus there was also a smaller dorm.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back