• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stupid luggage question... ALSA buses

StuartM

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
Hi Folks,

I've only ever used trains or local buses in Spain so stupid question...

What do you do with luggage on ALSA buses? Do you need to check it or get a sticker/label like you do in some countries or is it like the UK and you just turn up at the bus and sling it in the hold underneath?

Cheers,

Stuart

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sometimes on the long distance buses the driver will organise the load - when you show your ticket . Some stops go in the hold at one side, others the opposite side. Then he only need open one hatch, and not have you in the middle of the road :) if it is not a bus station.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, should the bus have several stops. The luggage hold is vaguely divided up into sections, so that at each stop its easy to offload the bags, without having to move luggage around that is for another destination further along the route. Anne

Just before the driver starts taking tickets from the passengers queuing at the door, he'll open both sides of the luggage compartment or 'bodega' as it's sometimes called in Spanish. I like to push my luggage to the middle even if it means reaching over suitcases or pushing them aside to get my pack out later. The trick is to take on board all that you need, reading material, notebook, maps and of course a bottle of water. There's usually not a lot of storage space overhead, just enough for a coat but not for a case, so if you want to carry something small but bulky onto the bus, it'll have to sit between your legs. In this photo you'll see my group of 'bicigrinos', biking pilgrims loading saddlebags onto the Alsa bus at Salamanca bus station in May this year on our return from the Via de la Plata. We'll be back there next year!

Attachments

• salamanca-bus-station-alsa-bus.jpg
    salamanca-bus-station-alsa-bus.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 30
  • salamanca-bus-station-alsa-bus.jpg
    salamanca-bus-station-alsa-bus.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 27
....and at intermediate bus stops I like to check that my backpack is not "inadvertently" removed from the hold (bodega), particularly at stages where there are large numbers of leaving travelers, collecting their belongings.;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back