A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Summer Walking

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
I would in a heartbeat!

The infrastructure on CF allows for a camino on any day of the year. You’ll find water, food aplenty, and hopefully not too much of a bed race.

July may not be too busy.

August is the holiday maker month for Europeans.

So, buencamino.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
If you could only walk the Camino Francis in July, (warmest and busiest) would you still do it?
I did in 2016. I was walking with my teenage son who was in school before July and after August. It was still a great experience.

MarcelWals

Next: Camino SdC-Finisterre-Muxia-Sdc | April 2019
Camino(s) past & future
October 2016: Camino Frances
April 2018 : Camino Portugues
100% a YES! :)

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
I have always avoided June, July and August because they would be too hot, but after walking the Francés from Estella in Sept and Oct this year, when it was in fact hotter than in August, I have no worries anymore. As long as the albergues promise to keep the windows open at night ...

SusanH

Camino(s) past & future
Walked 2014
Did it cool down a wee bit at night?
Did you use a sleeping liner?
Thanks

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
July? Definitely. If the opportunity came up and that's when it was, I'd be booking my flights.

J F Gregory

Portugal Central - October 2019
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (March-April,2016) finished, (October 2019) Portuguese Central Route.
I don't do hot weather well. Our first Camino was in winter, we will walk October 2019 when it is cooler.

Samwatts1

Camino(s) past & future
Frances - SJPP - June/July 2017
Fisterre July 2017
Portugues - May 2018
Frances - SJPP - Sept 2019!
Yes, I walked the CF in July 2017. It was very, very hot, and crowded at the end. But I wouldn't change a thing!

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
Absolutely. I have walked it during that month more than once. I loved it. Would do it again.
Can it be warm? Yes, but that's the beauty of it. Almost no rain and when it did it was passing. Wore shorts everyday. Carried only a bag liner to sleep in. Backpack only weighed about five kilos. Warm albergue floors. Can even walk around barefoot. Your clothes dry so quickly outside after you launder them. No gloomy, overcast cold afternoons like I experienced during the colder months on the Camino, along with the damp albergues. Instead you have bright, blue sunny skies. Fields of sunflowers and wheat.
Also the beer tastes better in the afternoon on a warm day.
Mind you, proper clothes and hat a necessity as is hydrating. Cannot be over stressed.

Last edited:

Calisteve

Camino(s) past & future
June 16 CF
July 17 CF with my son (aged 14)
July 18 CP with my wife
Just to add that the last time I walked in July I commented on how quiet it was and was told by an albergue owner that May and Sept are the busiest months. Definitely do it again but early starts are advisable to avoid too much walking in the late afternoons when it can get a little toasty.

Roland49

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019 June/July/August
Hello!

I will walk the CF form 6/29 (Arrival in Biarritz) to 08/05, End of July in SJPdP to SdC early August this Year.
Most people will try to avoid the 2 hottest months in Spain (July und August).

Roland49

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019 June/July/August
I'm forced to walk to the given date, b/c I work in an public school in Germany. And have to be back to school 1,5 week before end of the summer holidays. So I hit the road one week before summer holidays, lucky me that I have many extra hours.

El Mayordomo

#MyLongWalk2019
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Invierno) 2019
Hello!

I will walk the CF form 6/29 (Arrival in Biarritz) to 08/05, End of July in SJPdP to SdC early August this Year.
Most people will try to avoid the 2 hottest months in Spain (July und August).
I am arrving Biarritz 21/7 then a couple of days in St Jean PP before setting off on 24/7 - as I love cycling in the high summer I am looking forward to the heat of the summer and less clothing to carry!

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 153 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 254 25.0%