• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sunday travel conundrum

moranz

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, March to April 2014
Camino Portuguese June 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some advice regarding my arrival to SJPP.
I land in Barcelona on March 1st, a Saturday, at 13:15. I've checked numerous possibilities and it seems that I won't be able to reach SJPP the same day. It wouldn't be much of an issue, but I am afraid that wherever I may end up I will be stuck there during Sunday!
Does anyone have experience traveling on Sunday in Spain? I thought about taking the train to Pamplona the same day that I arrive, but I will get there around 7pm and won't be able to catch the bus to Roncesvalles.
Any ideas?

Thank you!
Moran

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Falcon,
That's probably the smartest solution :)
But for some crazy reason, I really want to start at SJPP. I know that if I won't, the thought will nag me constantly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ahh .. so landing in Barcelona? Will you have jet lag? If you do need to take a pre-day off before you can get to St Jean, well, Barcelona is a great city! You could go and visit the Sagrada Familia for a start ... poke around the tiny winding streets of Las Ramblas and eat where the locals eat .. only downside of Barcelona is that it is renowned for its pickpockets - really, beware!!!!

I understand your desire to start in St Jean - if you do and you don't then you will regret it.

But - rather than going to Pamplona and getting the bus, have you thought that you could take a train to Bayonne (via Irun) and then jump on the local train to St Jean. Stay over Sat night in Barcelona and travel all day Sunday. There seems to be a Sunday service 07.45 from Barcelona, arrives Bayonne 15.56 and .. I think there is a late train to St Jean .. but may be wrong (I often am).

check this page - http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/trains_barcelona_train_station_to_bayonne_train_station_6921_41.aspx

p.s. if you have spare cash you can do a one-way car rental from Barcelona to Irun, drop off the car, stay in the hotel right next to Irun railway station (cheap and friendly) and get the first train into France Sunday morning - you could be in St Jean by lunch time Sunday .... just a thought.
p.p.s - actually, if you do have the money you might as well drive to Pamplona and get the bus the next day, though there is something travellerishly romantic arriving in St Jean by the little train ;)

Last edited:
Hi David,
I will be jet lag free. Barcelona is wonderful. My only reason for thinking of skipping it is that I've visited before. But it seems that Barcelona and I are destined to meet again.
I think that your suggestion is best if I want to reach SJPP. I checked and you are right, there is a late train at 21:20 to SJPP from Bayonne, I miss the noon train. I suppose I will just have to find a nice French restaurant to pass the time until it's time for the train :)
I don't have a license or much money to spare, so I think that I will stick to the public transportation.
I assume that the pilgrim's office will still be open as they always wait for the last train?

Thank you!
Moran

Moran.

You might consider taking the train to Pamploma and then using the Curazon Puro shuttle/pension service to meet the train, house you overnight and deliver you to either Roncesvalles or SJPdP next morning after breakfast. See this Camino Resource notice for more info.

Margaret Meredith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Margaret,
I really wanted to use this option but the owner of Curazon Puro informed me that the only start operating on March 15th :(

Moran

The Pilgrim Office lists a closing time of 2200. The 2120 pm train arrives after that, so you may want to contact the Pilgrim Office to confirm their closing time on your date.

05 59 37 05 09

or you could take the train to San Sebastian/Donostia on Saturday. You'll arrive late, but still time for a few pintxos if you're peckish, which is not a bad thing:)

Then you can either catch the early train and start walking from SJPP, or the afternoon one, and have a fairly relaxing day before starting to walk on Monday

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
or you could take the train to San Sebastian/Donostia on Saturday. You'll arrive late, but still time for a few pintxos if you're peckish, which is not a bad thing:)

Then you can either catch the early train and start walking from SJPP, or the afternoon one, and have a fairly relaxing day before starting to walk on Monday

Yeah ... there are many travel options from San Sebastian to Irun/Hendaye. SNCF operates several trains per hour from Irun/Hendaye to Bayonne. There are 4 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP.

There are only 2 trains per day from Barcelona that terminate in Irun/Hendaye. An end run might include going to Miranda de Ebro which is a convergance point for trains heading to Irun from all over Spain.

Alternative is go SNCF Barcelona (Santos) to Toulouse and Toulouse to Bayonne.

If you have the bucks consider flying from Barcelona to San Sebastian (airport located spitting distance from Irun train station) or Bilbao.

There are not many travel options in the evening ... I'd say zero options (except taxi) to get to SJPdP same day as your arrival in Barcelona.

There is no bus service from Pamplona to SJPdP till 17 March 2014. The local bus service from Pamplona to Roncesvalles does not operate on Sundays.

Main bus and train routes operate Sundays. Some are on a reduced schedule from weekdays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for your help! it's greatly appreciated :)

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back