• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Surgical Spirit - The Elixir of Life

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
Ok, I admit the title was a bit random to generate some interest. ;)
My Camino is in May this year so most of my thoughts are to do with all things feet-related! One of my work colleagues treks quite regularly and has advised me to 'treat" the soles of my feet and in-between toes with surgical spirit nightly, for about a fortnight before my adventure begins. This will harden them up for the pleasures that lie ahead. Any thoughts/experiences with this??
Ps I've already bought it, so if its no good for feet it could be the basis of a fairly interesting cocktail!

Thanks in advance,
Frank :rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have heard of this before, it was very popular in my parents time but I have also heard that it can make you feet hard and prone to cracking of the skin. I do not know the real answers to this but I would recommend a product called "Gloves in a Bottle", available from Boots, and I have found this to be excellent for preventing blisters, for those coming from Australia, a similar, and in my opinion a better product, is SILIC15.
I have also been told that ordinary Vicks is as good as anything.
Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My daughter, who is a podiatrist, advised me to use moisturising cream on my feet nightly but in between toes use surgical spirit. It has worked a treat on many levels, preventing ailments and ensuring healthy, happy toes!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm lead to believe that Surgical Spirit was the 'go to' solution for foot sore squaddies doing their National Service back in the 1950s. I've tried it although I never quite did NS and can't say it helped me much.

Ultreïa

I've also heard to soak your feet in tea every evening and they'll toughen up. I've tried neither.
That's what I do. It certainly toughens up the feet. I've never had dry, cracked feet, but could be because I always use Vaseline on the feet each morning before starting out walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many moons ago in my previous life in the military we used to do this.

And I seem to recall always getting blisters :eek:. But maybe it was due to the awful boots ?

I thought about it for pre Camino preparation but didn't. I was fine. No blisters. Used lots of Vaseline.....double socks etc etc

Current thinking seems to lean more toward keeping the feet soft, rather than hard...

Hi Frank
Welcome to the Black Arts of Caring for your Feet... there are many potions and remedies available and they work differently on various people in varied situations. Over the years I've both seen and tried many methods and a few times used the tea and betadine skin toughener favoured by ultra marathon runners. It worked a treat.

One of my experiences with surgical spirit was watching a doctor pour it over a mate's horrendously blistered and macerated feet. Once the screaming and threats of litigation stopped, and with a day's rest, he was able to complete his walk. Effective but not recommended! Surgical spirit or any other astringent solution - witch hazel/tea/wine (leftover)/tincture of benzoin/vinegar - will all have a similar drying effect. If this works for you, do it. You have quite a bit of time to experiment before you go.

My bible is a book called Fixing Your Feet by Jon Vonhof now in its 5th edition.

Recommend it both for those interested and serious about foot care. It contains such gems as:
We are each an experiment of one and
What works for you may not work for the next person and what works for you now may to work for you next time.

That's the best advice that I can give you.

Wishing you happy and healthy feet and a Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Not convinced. I'd try to make a couple of practice walks of roughly the daily distance you are aiming for on the camino - wearing the boots and socks you plan to use. That should show up any problem areas. If there is only minor irritation you will probably form callouses over the hotspots very quickly. If there are big problems consider changing your socks/shoes/boots. Drying out your skin with neat alcohol sounds like a recipe for hard but brittle skin and deep nasty cracks at some stage along the way.

One of my experiences with surgical spirit was watching a doctor pour it over a mate's horrendously blistered and macerated feet. Once the screaming and threats of litigation stopped, and with a day's rest, he was able to complete his walk. Effective but not recommended!
My son spent many years rowing and methylated spirits was used on their hands for blister prevention. And, they also poured it onto their open blisters! Arrrgh!!
I'm with @jppreston, Trail Toes for me

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back