• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Surplus Gear

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
American Science and Surplus is one of my favorite sources for all sorts of travel supplies - tiny bottles, assorted storage bags, miscellaneous containers and all sorts of things you didn't know you needed!
Oh great - another website to drool over! 😄
(yes, it's pretty sad when I'd rather look at tiny containers than jewelry!)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh great - another website to drool over! 😄
(yes, it's pretty sad when I'd rather look at tiny containers than jewelry!)
@ trecile. Your comment reminds me of a postcard I bought at a gite on the Le Puy Way (one in a series) - now framed - which says -

‘j'aurais jamais cru qu'un jour je m'occuperais plus de mes pieds que de ma frimousse,’

Rough translation

‘I never thought the day would come when I’d take more care of my feet than my face’.

Attachments

• 175564C4-BFEA-4394-9D43-C906F3E4B990.png
    175564C4-BFEA-4394-9D43-C906F3E4B990.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 33
@ trecile. Your comment reminds me of a postcard I bought at a gite on the Le Puy Way (one in a series) - now framed - which says -

‘j'aurais jamais cru qu'un jour je m'occuperais plus de mes pieds que de ma frimousse,’

Rough translation

‘I never thought the day would come when I’d take more care of my feet than my face’.
when you git to my age, it comes natural :)

samarkand

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
American Science and Surplus is one of my favorite sources for all sorts of travel supplies - tiny bottles, assorted storage bags, miscellaneous containers and all sorts of things you didn't know you needed!
An Aladdin's cave of curiosities! If only the postage from the US to the UK wasn't ten times the cost of the item!

Surveying the embarrassment of surplus gear in my house, I have to concede that if I didn't know I needed the stuff then, I almost certainly didn't and still don't!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My nephew introduced me to these, you cut the tops off of drinks bottles sand down the rough ends and superglue them together.
I have dozens now storing everything from harvested seeds to white glue.

View attachment 110254

Edit: see cola cap containers on how to make these.
I LOVE this idea. Fewer "things" that will eventually end up in a landfill!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Rough translation

In 2017, about 6 weeks before my Camino I walked into a glass wall while exiting a parking garage that was so clean that I didn't realize it wasn't simply an opening. The impact knocked me to the ground, stunned. As I was lying there in a crumpled heap I realized that my face had taken the brunt of the impact, and I was so relieved that it was only my face and not my legs!

My nephew introduced me to these, you cut the tops off of drinks bottles sand down the rough ends and superglue them together.

View attachment 110254

I love that YouTube channel! I normally don't like to watch many diy YouTube videos because they spend too much time on flashy intros and often use too many words to say too little. But this guy's videos are very well edited, and he explains things well in a calm manner.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wish I had saved more 35mm film canisters.
You can buy them by the dozen on eBay - you can also get empty 35mm cassettes to reload if you buy your film in bulk. Who said analogue photography was dead?

The real holy grail is the screw top aluminium ones Kodak put out before the scourge of plastics!

The store is too far for me to buy from, but whoever is writing descriptions is doing an excellent job! Is it weird that I want to read every single one?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
While on the topic of gizmos, a friend gifted me with a wonderfully useful one that could save my life one day -- an automobile emergency escape tool. It has a seat belt cutter and window glass breaker and it is inserted into the car's 12/24 volt auxiliary outlet. It is placed there not only so it can be found in an easy accessible spot but also to have its blue LEDs shine when the car's power is on to make itself even easier to find. Also to charge its battery which can be used as a detachable power bank or to power the flashlight that is part of it (high and medium power white and flashing red).

Somostel Automobile Emergency Escape Tool described on Amazon

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
While on the topic of gizmos, a friend gifted me with a wonderfully useful one that could save my life one day -- an automobile emergency escape tool. It has a seat belt cutter and window glass breaker and it is inserted into the car's 12/24 volt auxiliary outlet. It is placed there not only so it can be found in an easy accessible spot but also to have its blue LEDs shine when the car's power is on to make itself even easier to find. Also to charge its battery which can be used as a detachable power bank or to power the flashlight that is part of it (high and medium power white and flashing red).

Great info and help if driving, but I don't drive a vehicle on the Camino. 🙂

But is it small enough to fit inside a rice cooker?

€60,-
I sit down with a cup of tea when the new catalog arrives.
Wait - there's also an actual physical catalog?! I know what I want for Christmas! Just the catalog.

That does look great. I've added to my Amazon Christmas shopping list. Everyone is getting one in their stockings.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 110254

That is soooooo cool! I bought similar small containers from Boots for the Camino (for toothpaste or whatever) but this is recycling at its very best, so much better 😎
Now I know how I am going to spend those long Winter nights in England 👍😁

Rough translation

My face is a lost cause but my feet can still take me places

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is soooooo cool! I bought similar small containers from Boots for the Camino (for toothpaste or whatever) but this is recycling at its very best, so much better 😎
Now I know how I am going to spend those long Winter nights in England 👍😁
There's a hack for smaller toothpaste tubes as well . . .
I never seem to be able to buy "travel sized" tubes of toothpaste any more and I don't always want to carry a 100ml tube with me on a short trip so was pleased when I came upon this video

Roman's reusable toothpaste tube

I’ve got an analogue one of those 😉

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.