• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ear Plugs - Sleeping

ejg1890

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-Oct 2023
I am picking up the final items I need for my Camino. I know there will be issues at the albergues with people snoring, so as a light sleeper I need to get ear plugs to sleep at night, but don‘t have any idea. Can people recommend types of ear plugs? Will the silicone ear plugs work? I have concern how well many of these ear plugs actually eliminate or at least reduce the snoring noise. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have had wide misfortunate experiences with ear plugs. I tried them all. Silicone, foam etc. Unfortunately sometimes these styles would burrow deeply into my ear canal and could not be removed except with forceps. Yikes!

In the end my go to plugs are the wax ones used by swimmers. A 3 pack is cheap. Use a pair until they’re gungy and then throw them out. They work for most noisy roommates. It also helps to be exhausted at the end of the day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use the Macks foam earplugs which work amazing for me. I make sure to roll them up and insert them far enough so you can’t see them coming out of your ears from a frontal position. I had a roommate in college who’s snoring got to 80 DB and these helped. Another thing is to get noise canceling headphones or ear buds and play calming sleep sounds through them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All the "premium" earplugs from the pharmacy did not really work for me, including the wax ones.
Then i tried the cheap ones from work, which we buy in packs 1000 each, and they work like a charm.
Model is "Honeywell Laser Lite" and i think they are also sold in smaller packs, but likely at a not so cheap price compared to bulk.

I have been using the Anker Soundcore A10 Sleepbuds. They are pricey and will need to be recharged everyday but have found them to be really great. They are tiny so they don't cause any pain in my ears (I am a side/stomach sleeper) and can be programmed to play a variety of sounds. They have a snoring brown noise option that I fine great, it completely blocks the sound of snoring neighbors (however you can still hear creaking beds etc).

All the "premium" earplugs from the pharmacy did not really work for me, including the wax ones.
Then i tried the cheap ones from work, which we buy in packs 1000 each, and they work like a charm.
Model is "Honeywell Laser Lite" and i think they are also sold in smaller packs, but likely at a not so cheap price compared to bulk.

I'll try them -- thanks for the recommendation. I know the wax earplugs work great and get the best ear coverage, but I've always had trouble with them falling out at night (maybe I have a small ear canal?). I've been using earplugs for 40 years and am always looking for a new one that might work better for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Lmccue let me know how they work for you. (and I'm a bit shocked they are 10$ for 5 pair, but i guess thats the advantage of buying bulk)

I am picking up the final items I need for my Camino. I know there will be issues at the albergues with people snoring, so as a light sleeper I need to get ear plugs to sleep at night, but don‘t have any idea. Can people recommend types of ear plugs? Will the silicone ear plugs work? I have concern how well many of these ear plugs actually eliminate or at least reduce the snoring noise. Thanks.
We used the brand 'ear' and they worked very well.

I'll try them -- thanks for the recommendation. I know the wax earplugs work great and get the best ear coverage, but I've always had trouble with them falling out at night (maybe I have a small ear canal?). I've been using earplugs for 40 years and am always looking for a new one that might work better for me.
If you have a small ear canal then the Mack’s slim fit foam earplugs are great- they are made for small ear canals.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like the wax ones too. You can cut them to size, plus shape them with the heat from your fingers. Take a few more than you think you'll need, because if you drop one on the floor you'll likely not want to be sticking it back in your ear.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.