• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking to the road November 13th

KristopherLeigh

Time of past OR future Camino
camino de santiago November 2014 solo
Hi all,
I'm looking to go solo from Nov to Dec as I wasn't terribly convincing getting my friends to join me.
I'm trying to asses just how bad the weather gets in the region this time of year.
Just seeing if I can get some direction or advice.
I'd be starting in St Jean however the night I arrive (11.11.14 at roughly 22.30) it would look as though there isnt accom available anywhere.
It looks to be same through most areas along the road during the 'off' season.

Am I mad or are there others walking the camino this time of the year?

thank-you in advance
Kris

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey Kris,

I'm also walking in November on my own. You're not alone - my friends think I'm crazy and nobody was interested to walk across Spain for a month. Anyways, from the number of conversations I've had, it seems like there will always be people on the Camino, so I don't think you should be worried about that.

Pauline

Hi all,
I'm looking to go solo from Nov to Dec as I wasn't terribly convincing getting my friends to join me.
I'm trying to asses just how bad the weather gets in the region this time of year.
Just seeing if I can get some direction or advice.
I'd be starting in St Jean however the night I arrive (11.11.14 at roughly 22.30) it would look as though there isnt accom available anywhere.
It looks to be same through most areas along the road during the 'off' season.

Am I mad or are there others walking the camino this time of the year?

thank-you in advance
Kris

Kris,

November 11 is a public holiday in France commemorating the end of WW1 and much will be closed. Nevertheless whatever the day or season there are always some pilgrims walking the camino.

Walking in late autumn/winter can be a solitary pleasure but you must be prepared .
Be sure to check out what others and I have written in these earlier Forum threads re camino expense and walking in winter. Both threads are filled with practical advice and helpful tips from veteran walkers re walking out of the busy spring/summer season .

Starting mid-October many pilgrim albergues and regular tourist accommodation spots will close for a well deserved rest. However, there is always a bunk available somewhere. In SJPdP the the office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle is open every day of the year. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. Call them BEFORE you arrive and they can provide trail/weather info as well as lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the municipal albergue which is also open throughout the year at 55 rue de la Citadelle. This is a fine place to stay, but they do NOT take reservations.

Similarly the monastery at Roncesvalles is always open for pilgrims although you may need to ring their bell if the great gates are closed. Every night of the year the traditional pilgrim benediction is also offered whether for one pilgrim or multitudes.

And so it goes. If by chance you arrive at some spot and all accommodation appears closed find an open shop and ask. You never know where or when a camino angel may offer you help.

Good luck and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Friends,
In November it is almost a given that the "high" or Napoleon road to Roncesvalles be closed by fog or snow. Remember, it is a mountain pass, and the weather is quite unpredictable. Ask for advice at the "accueil" or Pilgrim's bureau in SJPP. The alternative is the "low road". See threads here about the "Valcarlos option". You may consider breaking the stage in two, with a stop in the good municipal Valcarlos albergue (open all year round, it has heating).
Be cautious, plan carefully, choose good equipment, and enjoy it.
Buen camino!

A consideration is daylight. In particular there are stages in isolated areas (such as SJPdP to Roncesvalles) where you don't want to be stuck, tired wet and cold, trying to navigate in the dark.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back