• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Teens and early twenties on the camino?

barbaravan

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy en Velay, Arles, Future plans Vezelay
I am part of a group here in Silicon Valley hoping to encourage more students to walk/run trails and possibly even try a camino -- both for the joy of walking and also for the experience of being in their own thoughts. I would be so appreciative to hear from teens and early twenties about their camino experiences or their experiences with walking/running trails. I will share your thoughts with the students here. If you have a longer letter not appropriate for a thread, please send it to me directly. Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,whilst neither teen not twenty,I have to comment on your thread.On Camino in 2013 I met two groups of young U.S pilgrims,one late teens,with some parents "in tow", the others were mid teen in care of a couple,who were retired teachers who had spent a long time preparing the teens for the Camino.Both groups were a credit to their paarents and nation,and I did tell them so.Go for it,God speed and Buen Camino

I am part of a group here in Silicon Valley hoping to encourage more students to walk/run trails and possibly even try a camino -- both for the joy of walking and also for the experience of being in their own thoughts. I would be so appreciative to hear from teens and early twenties about their camino experiences or their experiences with walking/running trails. I will share your thoughts with the students here. If you have a longer letter not appropriate for a thread, please send it to me directly. Thank you.

I believe that each persons experience is just as individual as the person, and that age is not the issue nor important. What I believe important, and this may not be the view of you or others, is that there is a desire, determination and volition. I would not push any one into attempting the Camino, though sowing the seeds of the idea and seeing if they germinate can do no harm.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I believe that each persons experience is just as individual as the person, and that age is not the issue nor important. What I believe important, and this may not be the view of you or others, is that there is a desire, determination and volition. I would not push any one into attempting the Camino, though sowing the seeds of the idea and seeing if they germinate can do no harm.

Barbaravan just wants to share the views of teens with her students. So yes, in this case age is important. The view of a teen/early twenty on life and on something like a camino is totally different from the view of a 40-50-60 ect year old. It better be!

"Being in your own thoughts" is sure one of the most valuable things about the Camino - for older people. I encountered quite a few youth groups on my walking Camino (boy scouts, schools, church groups). Most had lots of fun, some were singing, others were just loud and rowdy, but nobody seemed to be absorbed by their own thoughts. I think that's not the sort of thing teenagers appreciate, certainly not if they walk in a group. If they walked alone some of the time, this could be different.
It might be a good idea to make sure that the teens don't use their smart phones WHILE they are walking...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think one has to be absorbed in their own thoughts in order to appreciate walking the Camino.
If I was 18-22 again I think walking the Camino would be quite cool, especially if I hooked-up with some others my age, and even more if some of them were young ladies in the same age group. And yeah, I'd probably have an iPhone with me and using it, and wondering why the older pilgrims look so serious all the time, ha ha.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't think one has to be absorbed in their own thoughts in order to appreciate walking the Camino.
If I was 18-22 again I think walking the Camino would be quite cool, especially if I hooked-up with some others my age, and even more if some of them were young ladies in the same age group. And yeah, I'd probably have an iPhone with me and using it, and wondering why the older pilgrims look so serious all the time, ha ha.
I sooo second this!!!! :D

And i still enjoy walking and talking with the younger ones.

Another older person here, writing what I think some of the younger ones I met might say if they were looking in on the forum...
On the Norte, August 2013, somewhere between Aviles and Mondoñedo some people who walked about the same speed started to walk together more, pick a set of bunks together, have breakfast together, cook communal meals and look out for each other. By the time we got to Sobrado we were six - two german girls aged 17 and 18, and trainee policeman in his early 20s also german, two women in their 30s (english and spanish) and me.
When we reached Santiago the teenagers headed for Finisterre and I did the Ingles. We met by chance five days later in Santiago (as you do). I was really taken by how they had changed since first meeting them - now with so much more self-assurance, able to appraise other adults and the world eye-to-eye. I think that was partly their sense of achievement, but also from being part of a group of all ages where they were equals, not typecast as kids or teenagers, but as people with views and contributions that were equally valued in our joint enterprise. I think the dynamic of a group of more than four or five young people travelling together would typically work against this kind of dividend.
Barbara, I don't know whether it's feasible to try and orchestrate this kind of mix and experience, but it's worth considering!
rgds, tom

Can I second what peregrino-tom says? We found that our kids (aged anywhere from 6 to 18 when we have walked) have been treated as PEOPLE rather than just kids. We didn't need to encourage them to mingle with others - they just did it. But at the same time I can imagine a bunch of kids walking together might form their own special relationship and that would be no less of an experience than meeting with strangers.
As for early twenties....I think gollygolly hits the nail on the head. Plant the seed and leave them to it. (Disclaimer: I've always been very independent and was married at 20 and travelling from NZ to live in Poland. I find it hard to imagine needing someone to guide me along the camino at that age!)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you everyone for replying. If any of you who walked with teens and those teens kept a blog or are willing to write a letter, I would love to hear from students. I am looking at Perks (rewards) and Gamification (mostly geo-cahching) just to get kids out the door -- so not really taking their smart phones away. I really have appreciated all your ideas.

Thank you everyone for replying. If any of you who walked with teens and those teens kept a blog or are willing to write a letter, I would love to hear from students. I am looking at Perks (rewards) and Gamification (mostly geo-cahching) just to get kids out the door -- so not really taking their smart phones away. I really have appreciated all your ideas.
Hi! I understand I'm very late coming into this thread- but I recently walked the camino with my friend (we're both 21 years old). I wouldn't mind sharing any of my experiences if you're still looking!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think teens and young adults should be a welcome addition to the Camino. I met only one group of students after Sarria, yes they had music blaring and yes they were chatty and loud but what a breath of fresh air they were. As the adult that was travelling with them said .. the young people must be allowed to enjoy the Camino too and I whole-heartedly agree. Sometimes the older pilgrims (and I am one of them) were far to serious and at times seemed to lack any joy for the journey they were on. Many of the people I encountered were walking with such heavy burdens and I found myself being bound up in their burdens. I would welcome the joyful exuberance of adventuresome teens over the morose conversations of all things wrong in the world or on the Camino. Just my humble opinion.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back