• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Temperature inside Albergues in October

Time of past OR future Camino
planning for spring 2018
Hi all Buen Camino. I've been thinking about my sleeping bag options for my proposed Frances mostly in Oct. of this year. I saw a chart which said the average outside low temperature along the Frances is 45F (7.2C). I'm thinking it should be about 10F higher inside an Albergue even without the heat on. Is that the case?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On a scale of usual to extreme thats probably about right. Though averages for, say, Pamplona, Leon and O'Cebreiro may vary from that norm by a fair amount. (Subject to the number of Pilgs per cubic metre of occupiable space and whether the "open windows" or "closed windows" adherents are in the effective majority) ;)

You might want to look at averages and extremes for various key points along the Frances rather than an overall average. Bear in mind that, at Samos for example, the external temperature has no impact on the internal temperature which has been as cold and damp as the grave for well over a thousand years. Whereas at Serbal y la Luna in Pieros there will be so many, densely packed, pilgrims digesting a three course garlic feast that the internal temperature will reach tropical heights.

Take a two season bag and you'll be comfortable most of the time.

...outside low temperature... 45F (7.2C). I'm thinking it should be about 10F higher inside an Albergue even without the heat on.
The problem with averages is that they include daytime highs and night-time lows along the 800 km, at various elevations.

I carry a bag nominally rated down to 7C, which is usually fine. There have been a few occasions when I was cold (for example in Samos, as noted by @Tincatinker) and I had to layer up with clothes and blankets. Then in O Cebreiro where one might expect to be cold, I was roasted by a huge wall heater near my bed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Excellent question! It can be really really hot, AND/OR it can be really really cold. So take a good quality lightweight sleeping bag that you can snuggle up in AND/OR easily throw off in the middle of the night.

There was one night (in October) I was SO hot, I got up and opened the window. Back in bed, I was startled by a voice in my ear that said, “Shall I turn off the heater?” I had no idea the heater was on. “Yes please!” The dorm was ROASTING, yet only two of us were actually awake.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On a scale of usual to extreme thats probably about right. Though averages for, say, Pamplona, Leon and O'Cebreiro may vary from that norm by a fair amount. (Subject to the number of Pilgs per cubic metre of occupiable space and whether the "open windows" or "closed windows" adherents are in the effective majority) ;)

You might want to look at averages and extremes for various key points along the Frances rather than an overall average. Bear in mind that, at Samos for example, the external temperature has no impact on the internal temperature which has been as cold and damp as the grave for well over a thousand years. Whereas at Serbal y la Luna in Pieros there will be so many, densely packed, pilgrims digesting a three course garlic feast that the internal temperature will reach tropical heights.

Take a two season bag and you'll be comfortable most of the time.

The Samos Albergue must be buried in the ground catacomb style!

We are at about the same latitude here in Sacramento CA as the Frances route although we are only 300 ft. above sea level. It has been incredibly hot here this summer with many days over 38C although the humidity is low thank God. When I checked the temp along the El Camino this summer we were often hotter, so it will be nice to get to the El Camino and cool down!

The Samos Albergue must be buried in the ground catacomb style!

We are at about the same latitude here in Sacramento CA as the Frances route although we are only 300 ft. above sea level. It has been incredibly hot here this summer with many days over 38C although the humidity is low thank God. When I checked the temp along the El Camino this summer we were often hotter, so it will be nice to get to the El Camino and cool down!

It also cools down much more at night compared to Sacramento. When I walked the Francés in September there were some mornings with frost on the ground and it would not warm up until 11:00am then some days that reached 93-94 degrees (34c.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The problem with averages is that they include daytime highs and night-time lows along the 800 km, at various elevations.

I carry a bag nominally rated down to 7C, which is usually fine. There have been a few occasions when I was cold (for example in Samos, as noted by @Tincatinker) and I had to layer up with clothes and blankets. Then in O Cebreiro where one might expect to be cold, I was roasted by a huge wall heater near my bed.

Amen to roasting in the OC albergue!
A regular weight bag will suffice. Just remember to take one; unlike the OC, some albergues do not turn heat on.
Buen camino.

I finished in SdC Oct 9 start SJPdP Sept 3 just a silk liner did it for me kept the weight down and just layered up in Ocibero. but it's up to you.

Hi all Buen Camino. I've been thinking about my sleeping bag options for my proposed Frances mostly in Oct. of this year. I saw a chart which said the average outside low temperature along the Frances is 45F (7.2C). I'm thinking it should be about 10F higher inside an Albergue even without the heat on. Is that the case?

375ml+ of the local vino with dinner should render that question irrelevant.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My experience was that many pilgrims don't like to open windows even when it's roasting inside!

I had a +12 bag in May and it was too warm most of the time.

I will walk in the second half of September to early October. Got the advice to take a lightweight sharon for extra layer and can also be used for privacy. I will then also take my micro fibre travel sheet and very thin, long sleeve, thermal pajamas, also light weight. I am sure this will be enough?

I will begin my Camino in SJDPP on Sept 13th and will arrive in Santiago anywhere from Oct 15th-21st. I had a sleeping bag but returned it because the weight of my backpack was getting too high. I hope that was not a mistake. I heard it can get cool at night at that time of the year but I tend to be warm. I guess I could layer up in clothes inside the liner I am bringing. I, too, would welcome any suggestions. A thin fleece blanket or chance it?
I have been following the forum for many months as I prepare for the Camino. There has been so much helpful information! I really appreciate it all.
Getting very excited to get to SJDPP and begin!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back