• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Desktop Computer Availability in Albergues

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing, but it turns out it’s heavier than I thought. I tend to be a prolific writer (or at least, nobody has ever accused me of being a man of few words, LOL). So my question is, are there desktop computers in Albergues (even if only on a few) that would let me use it to type my entries and upload them? I’m too clumsy for typing into my iPhone. I’ve seen lots of fabulous You Tube videos and blogs made by pilgrims and would like to do something similar, but I dont’ want to carry unnecessary technology besides my iPhone. What can I expect to find? I certainly don’t expect a lot of availability, just a few and far between would suffice.
Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Almost none these days. I can only recall seeing one on my last Camino Frances walk. And internet cafes have also gone the way of the dodo. When this topic has been discussed before the most practical solution seems to have been to try public libraries which may have public access computers. Alternatively some hotels may have business suites with computers but they are now very rare in the age of laptops and near-universal wifi.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I write sci-fi stories when I have time, and last year I brought a small (1 kg / 2lbs) netbook for this, and it was also quite useful for general computer things as well. It's 15 years old, and cheap, and I didn't mind carrying it, but I was surprised I couldn't find anything more recent and lighter (and cheap) with a keyboard. I only have 2 weeks leave at a time to spend on camino, so it was OK to carry a small laptop to do some writing. But in future, I may just bring a small paper notebook, and type up my ideas later. But if you just want to edit video you might be able to use a tablet - without the keyboard, they are much lighter (about 1 lb); alternatively, just film on the iphone and edit once you get home.

You won't find computers.for public use in albergues...

Foldable keyboards are often fullsize and you'll prob have better luck going for a portable keyboard that isn't fullsize. It will still be easier to type on than your screen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks to all! I figured it was a long shot. I’ll probably bring the foldable keyboard anyway. I’m still trying to find an affordable travel cPAP, I think I found one and that will make a difference. Last weekend I went on a pilgrim hike 5 miles with a fully loaded backpack and I did just fine, I would have done even better if I walked slower instead of trying to keep up with the group. I barely felt the backpack (the trekking poles helped a lot), but who knows how I’ll feel after a 12 mile day, or several days! Good thing I can always unload optional items and ship them to Santiago!

I used FindPenguins app to create a daily blog w/ pictures and a few short videos, and vanity published them later. All from my Android, and most times, i didn't need WiFi.

Other vloggers use Relive, but I'm pretty sure that they needed WiFi

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@HBS60 Why not practice with a voice to text app? And just use your phone.
I love blogging too. Mainly for myself as it becomes like a diary to look back on in years to come.
Though I tend to do it with the use of video.
Where I want written blogs, for family and friends to follow, I confess to being a bit lazy.
I record an audio, then send it home for someone to transcribe ;)

But if I had to do it myself, I think I'd use a voice to text app.
That way I could just make minor edits rather than type the whole thing start to finish.
The added benefit of recording audio, is that it's easier to do on the spur of the moment.

Again, a reason I tend to use video.
I can just ramble on as the mood takes, whilst filming the scenery....

Thanks to all! I figured it was a long shot. I’ll probably bring the foldable keyboard anyway. I’m still trying to find an affordable travel cPAP, I think I found one and that will make a difference. Last weekend I went on a pilgrim hike 5 miles with a fully loaded backpack and I did just fine, I would have done even better if I walked slower instead of trying to keep up with the group. I barely felt the backpack (the trekking poles helped a lot), but who knows how I’ll feel after a 12 mile day, or several days! Good thing I can always unload optional items and ship them to Santiago!
Best idea, from my point of view, would be to do a voice recording rather than typing. Then either use voice to text conversion or leave as an audio log.

Here's a useful thread about lightweight folding keyboards
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/portable-keyboard-for-phone.69537/
On the strength of it bought the one that was most talked about, which weighs 138g.
Actually I could never adapt my typing style to deal with the big gap between the two sides, so it hasn't been used much.
The great thing about writing a journal in a notebook is that when you come back it can go in your Camino Box along with the Credencials and Compostelas and other mementos and it's all there years later whenever you want to show someone or reminisce. More user-friendly than having to locate it somewhere in your computer filing system and read it off a screen etc.
Making voice recordings in an albergue might raise a few eyebrows, but making them out of doors while walking can be fun. A lot of mine early ones are spoilt by wind noise, so if you are serious about it take steps to mitigate that.
Actually I think writing or quietly typing in a corner of an albergue diner/lounge after 9pm with a mug of Té Rojo is one of my favourite occupations. Some people have already drifted off to the dorms, a few others sitting around chatting, and there maybe a couple of pilgrims who have recently met, swapping life stories, staring tentatively into each other's eyes.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The great thing about writing a journal in a notebook is that when you come back it can go in your Camino Box along with the Credencials and Compostelas and other mementos and its all there years later whenever you want to show someone or reminisce. More user-friendly than having to locate it somewhere in your computer filing system and read it off a screen etc.
Agreed! A few months ago I had to put all my stuff into storage while major building work was done on my house. In the process I discovered my credencial, Compostela and diary from 1990 which I thought I had lost years ago. A lot of pleasure in reading it again and discovering how many of my memories had been jumbled up over the years! :)

@HBS60 Why not practice with a voice to text app? And just use your phone.
I love blogging too. Mainly for myself as it becomes like a diary to look back on in years to come.
Though I tend to do it with the use of video.
Where I want written blogs, for family and friends to follow, I confess to being a bit lazy.
I record an audio, then send it home for someone to transcribe ;)

But if I had to do it myself, I think I'd use a voice to text app.
That way I could just make minor edits rather than type the whole thing start to finish.
The added benefit of recording audio, is that it's easier to do on the spur of the moment.

Again, a reason I tend to use video.
I can just ramble on as the mood takes, whilst filming the scenery....
Thanks!
I haven’t considered voice to text because I have a very strong accent in English and I gave up on apps like Siri because it NEVER understood me. In Spanish I have a speech impediment (I can’t roll my R’s and I’m a native speaker), so I have been typing all along.
Out of curiosity I took my iPhone this morning, using the Notes app tried to do some dictating, and it understood me!!! (I guess technology has improved a lot if it can even understand me). I tried switching to Spanish, and it also understood me even with my speech issue. I tried taking a pic from my phone app and it inserted nicely into the note, I also did a selfie video with the camera app and was able to also import it into my entry in Notes, so I think I found my answer. The one catch is that it’s hard for me to speak straight Spanish because where I come from (PR) we have LOTS of Spanglish terms that neither language recognition software would recognize, but I figure it will help me improve my own Spanish.

I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing, but it turns out it’s heavier than I thought. I tend to be a prolific writer (or at least, nobody has ever accused me of being a man of few words, LOL). So my question is, are there desktop computers in Albergues (even if only on a few) that would let me use it to type my entries and upload them? I’m too clumsy for typing into my iPhone. I’ve seen lots of fabulous You Tube videos and blogs made by pilgrims and would like to do something similar, but I dont’ want to carry unnecessary technology besides my iPhone. What can I expect to find? I certainly don’t expect a lot of availability, just a few and far between would suffice.
Thanks!
My portable keyboard weighs 196 grams and works quite well for me for blogging. Not sure how much the one you have which is too heavy weighs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My portable keyboard weighs 196 grams and works quite well for me for blogging. Not sure how much the one you have which is too heavy weighs.
Thanks! The one I ordered ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TW35H1Z?tag=casaivar02-20 ) weighs 10.5 ounces (297 grams if I’m converting units correctly). It isn’t all THAT heavy, but adding a power bank, a power plug converter, a charger, it begins to add up. It’s a bit bulkier than I thought so that’s yet another issue. I might still take it along and I suppose I can always ship excess items to Santiago if need be.

I always carry plug converters, which weigh almost nothing, and a power bank, so all I need in addition to the keyboard is a cord, which only weighs a few grams.

Your keyboard is much larger than mine and might be easier to type on, but does weigh 100gr more.

Thanks!
Have you considered using your Camino as a reset to your routine? Instead of writing spend your time listening. Communicate with individuals that you can actually touch in front of you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have you considered using your Camino as a reset to your routine? Instead of writing spend your time listening.
I’ve been a quiet introvert most of my life. I’m sure that there will be plenty of times and opportunities for quiet introspection, which is something I do a lot, maybe for too long. I do want to document not only for my own reminiscing in the future, but to hopefully help others who might resonate with my journey. I see this as a balancing act, not either/or. Being that balancing can be difficult, it takes a lot of wisdom to know when to speak, and when to listen. I think we all grapple with this to a greater or lesser extent.

Thanks to all! I figured it was a long shot. I’ll probably bring the foldable keyboard anyway. I’m still trying to find an affordable travel cPAP, I think I found one and that will make a difference. Last weekend I went on a pilgrim hike 5 miles with a fully loaded backpack and I did just fine, I would have done even better if I walked slower instead of trying to keep up with the group. I barely felt the backpack (the trekking poles helped a lot), but who knows how I’ll feel after a 12 mile day, or several days! Good thing I can always unload optional items and ship them to Santiago
I am a real technopeasant, and don't take anything more sophisticated than a flip phone. I've had good luck at public libraries, ayuntamientos, and even a couple of times at a hotel where I bought a drink and they graciously allowed me to use their guest computer. Good luck!

Thanks!
Hello and best wishes for an amazing Camino. I dictated on my phone (on notes)) throughout my day, as interesting and noteworthy things happened, thoughts, people I’ve met, curiosities, etc.
After 40 days of walking the entire Francais, I was surprised at the detail I expressed each day and had forgotten later. With Life changing journeys and being so present for everything around you those are special moments in time. We were gone for 90 days in total and had documented each day on notes. Blogged/Vlogged each day via my phone in bed each night.
Goid Luck! Buon Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The great thing about writing a journal in a notebook is that when you come back it can go in your Camino Box along with the Credencials and Compostelas and other mementos and it's all there years later whenever you want to show someone or reminisce.
The heaviest item in my backpack each Camino is my journal. I do not enjoy writing using my laptop/ipad/Remarkable as much as on paper with my special pen. My journal was soaked through on Camino #6. Flipping through those pages now, seeing how the ink spread across those wet papers, and feeling the bumpy texture of those long-dried surfaces recall experiences even my words on those days failed to capture.

Almost none these days. I can only recall seeing one on my last Camino Frances walk. And internet cafes have also gone the way of the dodo. When this topic has been discussed before the most practical solution seems to have been to try public libraries which may have public access computers. Alternatively some hotels may have business suites with computers but they are now very rare in the age of laptops and near-universal wifi.
Or use the voice feature to transcribe for you.

Thanks!

I use my iPhone a lot for journaling etc and have moved from typing to the audio to text function- which has rapidly improved over the past few years.
I do prefer typing because it encourages me to be succinct in my thoughts. However my fingers don’t like screen tapping any more, hence the move to audio to text.
It’s great to get thoughts down quickly - that I can edit later, or deliver a more slow and considered text that usually requires less editing.
There are functions like - comma - full stop - and new paragraph - which make things easier. By the way I had to type so those words because the text did just what I asked, created a comma and a full stop and a new paragraph.
Anyhow, have a play around. I think you might find this is the most lightweight solution to your problem. And you do get better at it.
Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Voice to text on iPhone works really well. You can always do any edits later on when you have access to a PC.

Thanks!
The times I have found a desktop computer in Spain, I had a lot of problems using the Spanish keyboard. I couldn't figure out how to type some pretty common punctuation marks, etc. (I speak Spanish, but was writing in English). I got a portable keyboard, too. Haven't used it yet, but it is very lightweight. Would be interested to know of others' experiences.

So my question is, are there desktop computers in Albergues (even if only on a few) that would let me use it to type my entries and upload them?
There won’t be any in albergues. There used to be, in some but that was years ago. There might still be computers in libraries in bigger towns and in flash hotels in the business room but I am not even sure of that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My own experience: We saw no public-use computers in albergues on Camino del Norte last spring. Before we left home, I purchased a foldable bluetooth keyboard. My wife and I blogged regularly; she did most of the writing. I did most of the photography, created Relive videos and edited. It turned out that using thumbs and dictation worked well. After a week, neither of us had bothered to use the portable keyboard; I left it and the instructions in the "leave-something-take-something" bin at an albergue in Gerekiz. I hope somebody found it useful.

In effect you'd be asking for office space. In a busy albergue, not very practicable.

Then having to contend with the gamer who's is on it till 3 am?.......

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks!
Use voice to text, you can do it as you walk, or record notes, then use AI (Chat GPT, prompt---Turn this into an infotmative or funny blog post) you can also NOT USE AI, and cut and paste instead of having to write it all, just maneuver what is on there, delete what you want out, and add some thoughts.
This will be easy on the fat finger problem and you don't have to stop to write everyday, as memory will fade the feelings of each etapa. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please don't! We are getting plenty of vapid AI-generated posts that we would prefer to eliminate.
No worries! I am no fan of AI or ChatGPT, the dictation technology is over my head as it is… (dictated response.)

Another keyboard alternative is the laser-projected keyboard. You can find a variety of them on Amazon. The one linked below weighs 4.8 oz (136 grams). It costs ~$42
Product Dimensions5.5 x 4 x 1.5 inches
Item Weight4.8 ounces

Another one adds to the keyboard a mouse function. It costs $55 at Amazon. Walmart has it for $29.99
Product Dimensions1.6 x 0.8 x 3 inches
Item Weight4.6 ounces (130 grams)

In a word, no. Your best bet would be public libraries or resign yourself to the weight of a laptop. Alternatively write by hand and transcribe it when you get home. Or stay at private albergues
I had an iPad Pro with Apple’s smart keyboard. Almost the same as a laptop plus it has a touch screen. “Apple Pencil“ for a mouse. Much lighter and thinner than a regular laptop. My sister had “Microsoft Surface” which was similar—significantly bigger and heavier than the iPad Pro but still lighter and smaller than most laptops of those days. But now (2024) there’s the “iPad Air” and several manufacturers make similar things.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back