• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tent Vs. No Tent

Jordan Skidnuk

Time of past OR future Camino
(Camino Frances- Start- July 7, 2014)
Hello Everyone,

I have really enjoyed reading all of the conversations of the forum, what a great resource!

I do have one question; I will doing the Camino Frances starting on July 10, 2014. I just planned the trip on a whim (booked my flight last night) and just trying to get everything figured out! When reading my guidebook it indicated that it can be very difficult to get into Albergues (or other private accommodations) in the months of July and August. With this being said I figured perhaps brining a tent would be a good option if I had to sleep outside; but, many seem opposed to this idea (due to weight concerns).

Is it extremely difficult to get a bed in an albergues on Camino Frances during July/ August?

If so where did you stay if you did not bring a tent?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jordan: Jane and I carried a rather pricey tent (Hubba-Hubba) on our Camino Frances. We used it six times and loved it. We walked in Sept-Oct. As a rule, at that time of year, there are plenty of rooms, but we enjoy camping and being away from the snoring. Additionally, I like to throw a wire up in a tree and use my tiny ham radio and Morse code along the way, a tent is perfect for that.

When I hiked the Appalachian Trail I used a Hennessy Hammock and was thrilled with it. Of course I was alone, so a hammock was perfect. As we walked the Camino I was spying places I could hang the hammock and it should work there as well. We recently hiked the Ridgeway Path in the UK and I would have given my left arm for a tent (we didn't bring one.) Everything was sold out and we had to get stuck with a dumpy little room for 150 British pounds, it would have paid for a tent!!!

If you can carry a really compact tent, you might enjoy it. If you camp "discreetly," you shouldn't have trouble, following all the rules about cleaning up after yourself etc. There are plenty of farms along the way and one can always ask about camping. At several of the alberques they let us camp on their grounds and we then had a food, water and shower source.

It boils down to carrying extra weight, if you can do that, it will work out. If you don't really have the room to carry it, then it may be more bother than it is worth.

I am leaning toward taking the tent. I have a very lightweight tent and it's easy to put up and take down. The downside for me is I am a single woman and this makes me a little nervous. I generally prefer to split it up about 50/50. It's nice to have a break from the snoring and gives me the ability to walk my own pace and stop when I want. If you can handle the weight, it can be worth the extra effort.
Otherwise, I don't think there will be a problem especially if you DON'T follow Brierly's guide. I only say that because I witnessed many pilgrims glued to his stages and I think it causes overcrowding and there is the joy of spontaneity. I think a pilgrimage IS spontaneous. You said yourself, that you bought a ticket that way... So, there you go. Follow your dreams.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wouldn't take a tent unless you have some specific reason to. Lots of indoor sleeping options. There are many threads on here on the topics of how to decide where and when to sleep...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I wouldn't take a tent unless you have some specific reason to. Lots of indoor sleeping options. There are many threads on here on the topics of how to decide where and when to sleep...
I have a few specific reasons. 1) I'm a light sleeper and I do find the snoring troublesome. 2) Money. 10 nights in a tent is equal to about 100 Euros for me. That's a lot of food. 3) I like the outdoors and may make my way down to some warmer beaches as it will be near November when I reach Santiago. 4) It gives me more options.
But it's an extra 1100 grams in my pack. It is a consideration.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.