• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The best laid plans ....

danielc

Time of past OR future Camino
SEPT '13 CF - SJPP to Santiago
OCT '14 Porto to Santiago
Having reached 69 in what I taught was reasonable health and fitness I was pretty satisfied. I had planned to do one more Camino in Oct 2017 - The Ingles – nice and short - However this allusion was shattered recently. I had a minor discomfort, went to my GP was referred to a cardiologist. The result was a diagnosis of coronary heart disease. My heart itself was sound, but several of my arteries were blocked, therefore a coronary bypass is required. It seems unmedicated diabetes 2 may be the culprit. Now I await the operation , and a long recovery process - not a good idea to take things for granted – as the old saying ‘People Plan – God Smiles ‘

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry to hear that but please don't give up. You have 6 months to get healthy. Both diabetes and heart surgery recovery will benefit from following your doctors rehab instructions. The worst thing you can do is think that just because you are next door to 70 and your body has rebelled that your plans all have to be scuttled.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wish you all the best Daniel and pray for a speedy recovery.

Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Daniel
You're now on top of it and able to do something about in plenty of time -
All the best for the coming op. You 'are' being watched over /God is smiling at you; as your goal can still remain and you can now head out in better nick! Take it easy but keep walking.
Buen camino
Annie

I walked and cycled the Camino Frances in August/September 2014 and despite having an aortic valve replacement got from start to finish without any drama.

In April 2015 I was diagnosed with having a 6cm aortic aneurysm (another was diagnosed in the brachiocephalic artery, but I digress :D) and in need of a double bypass. Considering the hills I'd climbed on foot and bike, I couldn't help but reflect on the potential lucky break I'd had that previous Summer!

Eight weeks after surgery - to replace 20cm of aorta and perform the bypass - I was walking twelve miles along the coastline of the Bay of Biscay. Never stop believing in the power of the human body to repair itself or in your own resilience and determination.

In July I will be back in Saint Jean and I, along with my partner Nicki, WILL walk the Camino again, all the way to Finistere this time ;)

Daniel C, if it's your will, you too will walk the Camino once more.

Take care.
Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Daniel, I have a feeling you're going to be doing the Ingles sooner than later. Two years ago at the age of 60 I was diagnosed with heart disease. The previous 4 years I had walked over 1500 miles of Caminos. I alway believed my heart was very strong. Turns out it wasn't. After months of testing I went in for surgery last year.
Six months after open heart surgery I walked over 200 hundreds of the back half of the Le Puy route to SJ. My surgery was complicated. A valve replacement, a double bypass, repaired an aneurysm, and repaired my atrial fibrillation. After my surgery I could barely walk 20 feet, but I did everything I was asked to do in recovery and recovery quickly. I was back walking over ten total miles a day a few weeks after surgery. I have always been physically active so i'm sure that helped.
My one year surgery anniversary was on April 4, 2017. In a few weeks I am going back to Spain to finish the Northern Camino which I started a few years back. That will also be over 200 miles. So now a year after surgery I am much better than before, I can walk many miles a day without any real problem. Consider yourself lucky for them finding this, and making you well before it got worst. I consider myself very lucky. My heart is very strong now that everything has been corrected. Below is the link to a blog I wrote before the surgery and during my recovery. We'll see you on the Camino soon.

Ray

mysocallednewlife.wordpress.com

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Having reached 69 in what I taught was reasonable health and fitness I was pretty satisfied. I had planned to do one more Camino in Oct 2017 - The Ingles – nice and short - However this allusion was shattered recently. I had a minor discomfort, went to my GP was referred to a cardiologist. The result was a diagnosis of coronary heart disease. My heart itself was sound, but several of my arteries were blocked, therefore a coronary bypass is required. It seems unmedicated diabetes 2 may be the culprit. Now I await the operation , and a long recovery process - not a good idea to take things for granted – as the old saying ‘People Plan – God Smiles ‘
Wishing you a speedy recovery Daniel

My dad is 88 years old. He was an iron worker/welder, smoker and developed type II diabetes in his 60s. He has had multiple bypass surgeries, lung cancer, bowl cancer, and skin cancer. A couple of weeks ago he had his first TIA (slight loss of vision that returned in a couple of minutes). Then last week he passed out, and the paramedics took him to the hospital. He came home yesterday the day after he had is carotid artery roto-ruddered. He was jazzed when he got home and was talking non stop. He was happy! This cat has more than 9 lives, and I think the secret to his longevity is his positive attitude. We all have or will experience some type of health issue as we age, but never give up the fight. I hope you have a long. healthy, and prosperous life.

Hi Daniel,
I too am in my sixties and I too have type II diabeties and in my opinion the best non medical treatment for it is to walk and walk and walk. Burn off all that excess sugar in a pain and stress free way. Sure pay heed to the medics and the advice and medication they give, but the more active you are the less medication you will need. As noted above the heart surgery, whilst serious, can be fully recovered from especially if your heart is sound. After that get right back to what you want to do; the Camino is waiting for your return.
Aidan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
god speed on your recovery
and I am glad that the Plan was for you to discover this now and not in a country with out familiar support around you
and who knows, October may see you on your way anc

Very sorry to read this danielc, but, do not despair......have the needed surgery, take time to recover, but, at the same time, keep your hopes and dreams alive......you will be fine once everything is once again put to rights......All good wishes and hopes of a very good recovery.

Having reached 69...... My heart itself was sound, but several of my arteries were blocked, therefore a coronary bypass is required. It seems unmedicated diabetes 2 may be the culprit. Now I await the operation , and a long recovery process - not a good idea to take things for granted – as the old saying ‘People Plan – God Smiles ‘

Daniel,

I walked the Camino Ingles last year, seven months after my second coronary bypass. If you start a year later than planned you will still be younger than I was when I completed it. Between the two bypasses I managed 2,200 Camino kilometres (four Caminos) and have plans for this September.

You have my very best wishes for your forthcoming op and for a speedy recovery.

Buen Camino

Liam

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Daniel,

I walked the Camino Ingles last year, seven months after my second coronary bypass. If you start a year later than planned you will still be younger than I was when I completed it. Between the two bypasses I managed 2,200 Camino kilometres (four Caminos) and have plans for this September.

You have my very best wishes for your forthcoming op and for a speedy recovery.

Buen Camino

Liam

Thank you for this message - this is very reassuring

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back