• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

clothing for the Ingles

WanderingUKCZ

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles - 2024 planned
Hi!

Im walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on the 8th May, arriving in SdC on the 14th (and staying til the 17th :) )

Ive not walked a camino before, nor have I ever really done any multi day hiking and am trying to decide on clothing. At the moment, I am unsure if Im packing enough / packing warm enough / packing too much etc

Looking for some input from you more experienced folk :)

For clothing I'm considering :
(this list includes what i would travel in)

2 x SS t shirts (1 CMP merino, 1 Nike drifit)
1 x LS t shirt (Patagonia trail)
1x light fleece (Dare 2b Substratum Core)
1x TNF explorer convertible trousers
1 x TNF explorer trousers
Either TNF Dryzzle jacket OR decathlon poncho
1x Cap
1x Merino buff
3x merino socks
3x under armor tech 9in boxers

Footwear: Nike Pegasus Trail 4 and a pair of slides/flip flops for Evenings.

Am I on the right track here? Too much? Too little?
Should I add a light down (or synt) jacket or not worth it?

Thanks for your inputs!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@WanderingUKCZ , welcome.
I walked the Inglés last year at the beginning of April, so an entire month earlier than you. I had a lightweight puffer and was very glad of it some mornings, literally Frost. However I was not carrying a fleece - my puffer was lighter than my fleece.
I did have a pair of long johns (to double as sleepwear in need). I used them on two mornings, they came off after a couple of hours.

I also had a Merino beanie and lightweight Merino gloves, used four out of my five mornings for the first hour as I, & and the world around me, warmed up.

A month is a significant difference. Check the forecast perhaps? The rest looks pretty good - I , too, have a Decathlon poncho, it was great.

@WanderingUKCZ , welcome.
I walked the Inglés last year at the beginning of April, so an entire month earlier than you. I had a lightweight puffer and was very glad of it some mornings, literally Frost. However I was not carrying a fleece - my puffer was lighter than my fleece.
I did have a pair of long johns (to double as sleepwear in need). I used them on two mornings, they came off after a couple of hours.

I also had a Merino beanie and lightweight Merino gloves, used four out of my five mornings for the first hour as I, & and the world around me, warmed up.

A month is a significant difference. Check the forecast perhaps? The rest looks pretty good - I , too, have a Decathlon poncho, it was great.
Thank you! Btw really enjoyed your YT vids over the last few weeks :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Ingles a few years ago (2017) in early May and found the weather to be generally colder than I anticipated. Your list sounds fine— I am assuming you’ll be wearing some of the items and carrying the rest(?). I would advise bringing good rain wear. We encountered a lot of rain in May, but there is a lot of pavement walking so not a lot of mud, except for a couple of parts. The people are really nice along the ingles. One day we were in the middle of a major downpour and we took shelter under the roof overhang of someone’s house. The woman who lived there opened the garage so we could escape the rain for a bit. When her husband came home he drove our muddy selves to the nearest village where we planned to spend the night.

Hi!

Im walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on the 8th May, arriving in SdC on the 14th (and staying til the 17th :) )

Ive not walked a camino before, nor have I ever really done any multi day hiking and am trying to decide on clothing. At the moment, I am unsure if Im packing enough / packing warm enough / packing too much etc

Looking for some input from you more experienced folk :)

For clothing I'm considering :
(this list includes what i would travel in)

2 x SS t shirts (1 CMP merino, 1 Nike drifit)
1 x LS t shirt (Patagonia trail)
1x light fleece (Dare 2b Substratum Core)
1x TNF explorer convertible trousers
1 x TNF explorer trousers
Either TNF Dryzzle jacket OR decathlon poncho
1x Cap
1x Merino buff
3x merino socks
3x under armor tech 9in boxers

Footwear: Nike Pegasus Trail 4 and a pair of slides/flip flops for Evenings.

Am I on the right track here? Too much? Too little?
Should I add a light down (or synt) jacket or not worth it?

Thanks for your inputs!

From Spring to late Fall, maybe this will give you an idea of what might work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack for early spring thru late fall.. In addition to it being used during my Caminos, it is about the same inventory that I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- Running shorts with liner
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- zPacks or Frogg Toggs Ultralite Poncho
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds/1.54 Kg
The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a lightweight, long-sleeved synthetic shirt.

All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 30 f / -1 C to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going over the Pyrenees and Galicia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You’ll be fine with what you’ve got. It’s personal opinion (and there are many with a different point of view) - jacket rather than poncho. I am a ponchophobe.

It’s generally warming up in May and although you can’t discount rain in Galicia, it’s not likely to be torrential. Use a sack liner (a sturdy bin bag).

It it turns unexpectedly cold you can layer up to and including ss shirt, ls shirt, fleece, rain jacket. That’s ample as you’ll not be sitting still.

Add a cheap woolly hat, just in case.

Again it’s personal, but I’d ditch the convertible trousers. Unsatisfactory trousers and unsatisfactory shorts. Walk in shorts and save the trousers for the evening. Skin dries faster than cloth.

It’s a great route.

You’ll be fine with what you’ve got. It’s personal opinion (and there are many with a different point of view) - jacket rather than poncho. I am a ponchophobe.

It’s generally warming up in May and although you can’t discount rain in Galicia, it’s not likely to be torrential. Use a sack liner (a sturdy bin bag).

It it turns unexpectedly cold you can layer up to and including ss shirt, ls shirt, fleece, rain jacket. That’s ample as you’ll not be sitting still.

Add a cheap woolly hat, just in case.

Again it’s personal, but I’d ditch the convertible trousers. Unsatisfactory trousers and unsatisfactory shorts. Walk in shorts and save the trousers for the evening. Skin dries faster than cloth.

It’s a great route.

Ponchophobe. .😱 And here I thought you feared nothing, my friend. 😁😁

Ponchophobe. .😱 And here I thought you feared nothing, my friend. 😁😁
I would kneel before my God, my King and Mrs HtD - nobody else and probably not in that order. I’m not frightened of much usually.

Ponchos, though. Different kettle of fish. I get a bit shivery when I even think about them. I bought one once, looked at it, tried very hard but couldn’t reconcile myself to wearing it.

Best wishes Dave.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would kneel before my God, my King and Mrs HtD - nobody else and probably not in that order. I’m not frightened of much usually.

Ponchos, though. Different kettle of fish. I get a bit shivery when I even think about them. I bought one once, looked at it, tried very hard but couldn’t reconcile myself to wearing it.

Best wishes Dave.
Hmmm! gotta change the reading glasses. I thought clothing for the English would be variations of Morris Dancer gear! :)

Samarkand

Best wishes Dave.
ROTFLOL!!!!

Poncho, (Decathlon or Altus as the sleeves are not going to flap about.)
One pair of pants, zip off is your choice.
Hat with a brim, 'cos skin cancer's a bugger !

Enjoy the trip, I hope to be there in the (northern) autumn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey all Ingles Pilgrims,

Wondering what season boots are best for the Ingles in April.

Noted quite a lot of tarmac sections on this route, and thinking my Scarpa 4 season boots will not have enough 'give', however also note the likely April weather and more rural trail sections for grip.

Thoughts?

Hey all Ingles Pilgrims,

Wondering what season boots are best for the Ingles in April.

Noted quite a lot of tarmac sections on this route, and thinking my Scarpa 4 season boots will not have enough 'give', however also note the likely April weather and more rural trail sections for grip.

Thoughts?
You really don’t want winter boots for the Ingles in any season. I habitually wear Zamberlan ultralites all year round at home and ‘on Camino’ but many on here would suggest trail runners.

Last edited:
You really don’t want winter boots for the Ingles in any season. I habitually wear Zamberlan ultralites all year round at home and ‘on Camino’ but many on here would suggest train runners.
Ye Gods! TRAIN RUNNERS? Are these not more fitting for legging it down the platform to catch that goddam tube? :)
Samarkand.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You really don’t want winter boots for the Ingles in any season. I habitually wear Zamberlan ultralites all year round at home and ‘on Camino’ but many on here would suggest trail runners.
Trail shoes? - no ankle support in those.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Trail shoes? - no ankle support in those.
Well they’re not my chosen footwear but, as I said, many multi-repeat Peregrinos who post on here, and whose views I respect, swear by them.

The Ingles is almost entirely on tarmac, constructed tracks or decent footpaths.

I habitually walk in lightweight leather boots, because that’s my daily footwear of choice.

Do you have weak ankles?

It seems an Altus is the marrying of a poncho and a raincoat. I've wondered if it is possibly the best of both.🤔

With a front opening and long sleeves I put Altus-style rainwear into the category of raincoat that incorporates a design allowing the garment to be worn over a backpack. I've never thought of it as a poncho :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
trying to decide on clothing. At the moment, I am unsure if Im packing enough / packing warm enough / packing too much etc
Looks about right. It´s only a few days so don´t get obsessed about techy stuff. Rain is more likely to be a problem than cold in May, but you´ll survive. You´ll even have a good time.

Post Ingles trip, I now have the following tips should you be wondering what to expect/first time out on this short camino:

1. Carrage of equipment. Pack light, and then pack repack lighter. Essentially you do not need to carry hardly anything as there are ample places to eat and resource any thing you may require. A reasonable quality 10-12 litre day pack (Osprey etc) will do you with waterproofs, warm top, spare food and small first aid kit etc (spare kit waterproofed of course). We (initially) carried too much equipment and regretted it. Generally, sleeping bags are not required as there are ample quilts and blankets in the albergues - see below.

2. Terrain. The trip is benign and the ups are not demanding at all, certainly nothing to be concerned about. Carry a hiking stick/pole and

3. Accommodation. Steer clear of the municipal in Pontedeume. Its a hole and 6.10 euros for a reason. Also if you are wet (as we were) there is no where to dry kit in the one dorm of the entire building they had open + no hot water if you arrive late. Avoid unless you are on a tight budget. We found the private Albergues much better at an average of 5-10 euros pp, per night.

4. Footwear. Approximately 70% of this route is on metalled road/tarmac (far too much IMHO) and you need to be wearing trainers with enough support and enough give. Do not wear boots as you would in the UK or you will regret it. We were told the route has been altered in recent times to have walkers go through more of the towns and villages for commercial reasons. This means more road walking.

5. Money. Always have some cash on you. Not everywhere has card facility and you need the odd euro coin or two for the buses etc.

6. Public Holidays. Do not arrive on a bank holiday (as we did) and expect anything to be open other than (oddly) vets, and male barbers! The Tourist office was closed in Ferrol and we had to go back the next day to purchase the Credential, and then do two legs of the walk to keep us on track. Not a massive issue, but best avoided as the Neda to Pontedume section is definitely the worst for road walking. Purchase your Credential prior and keep things fluid.

7. Safety. You are very unlikely to encounter an issue in this area of Spain. Just watch out in Siguerio as there were some latino/mexican gang banger types hanging around in the town centre last week eyeing up the Pilgrims are they filtered through. Easy to spot and avoid, but worth taking note of especially if solo. Dogs encountered on route were generally well behaved, walking to heel and on leads, not untrained/running amok as widely seen in the UK these days.

8. Finally. If you are able, attend mass at the Santiago cathedral @ 1200hrs. A fitting end to a good walk and the cathedral interior is spectacular, even allowing a glimpse of the silver tomb holding the bones of St James himself. Well worth attending.

Go do it!

With a front opening and long sleeves I put Altus-style rainwear into the category of raincoat that incorporates a design allowing the garment to be worn over a backpack. I've never thought of it as a poncho :)
You are right, and it kind of bugs me that people call it a poncho. I usually describe it as an oversize rain coat with room for a backpack.
On the Altus site they call it a "comfortable and compressible rain jacket."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back