• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Best Pilgrim Menu? - Vega de Valcarce

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
ok. We must have found the best value and quality pilgrim menu on the CF!

Now Pat and I like good food. And so we are always on the look out. Last night we stayed at the Parador in Villafranca del Beirzo purely because of the good reviews on the food. It was not that great sadly.

But today we hit the jackpot!

In Vega de Valcarce we are staying at the Las Rocas casa rural. We picked it based on the food reviews ;)

Opposite, is Le Meson Las Rocas. Same owners.

The meal simply was awesome! And 10e.

Never have we eaten a Pilgrim menu of such good quality.

Simple dishes, with quality ingrediants, cooked and prepared by someone who really cares!

I'm sorry but i told the owners to put their prices up :eek:

My main course was trout with chips and salad. Delicious. Even the chips were perfectly cooked....and hot for a change. And the salad so fresh and crisp.

This place is a gem. It's owned by husband and wife team Jorge and Ana. Ana is the magician in the kitchen.

Well done to you both!

20180528_204539.jpg

20180528_200341.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sounds delicious! I'm so glad to see someone else enjoying good food on the Camino. :) It's out there.

I had some great meals (and a few pretty blah ones, as well...). At La Morena on the Meseta (I'll have to look up the village) the 10€ pilgrim meal started with chickpea and ham stew served in a beautiful white tureen, followed by freshly grilled trout, and strawberries in chocolate sauce for dessert. Plus, pre-dinner amuse bouche (hope I spelled that right) of cheese and sardines on toast. And of course, vino tinto and the ubiquitous basket of white bread.

The little bar in La Faba is another -- artichokes with freshly grilled bacon, followed by a ravioli stuffed with cod, hardly your typical pilgrim fare.

Oh, wow, now I'm getting hungry...

@Robo, I hope you find some more great spots! Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One of our most memorable meals was in Bar Santiago in Castaneda. A family business and they make their own orujo. If I recall they have a dorm room though we stayed in a casa rural just down the road.

The lonely little bar across the tiny little creek from the even lonlier little municipal albergue in Logonde (just short of the 100km marker on the CF) : FABULOUS!!!! Truly a hidden gem that it seems no one stops at since we were the only dinner diners (plus the only inhabitants of the albergue!!!). I had bacalao and my wife ate pot roast; it was freshly made and delicious.

57826703-A586-4582-BDC2-D18A6FEDC2DC.jpeg

Sounds delicious! I'm so glad to see someone else enjoying good food on the Camino. :) It's out there.

I had some great meals (and a few pretty blah ones, as well...). At La Morena on the Meseta (I'll have to look up the village) the 10€ pilgrim meal started with chickpea and ham stew served in a beautiful white tureen, followed by freshly grilled trout, and strawberries in chocolate sauce for dessert. Plus, pre-dinner amuse bouche (hope I spelled that right) of cheese and sardines on toast. And of course, vino tinto and the ubiquitous basket of white bread.

The little bar in La Faba is another -- artichokes with freshly grilled bacon, followed by a ravioli stuffed with cod, hardly your typical pilgrim fare.

Oh, wow, now I'm getting hungry...

@Robo, I hope you find some more great spots! Buen Camino.
Yes the little bar in La Faba! I remember the most delicious chicken breast and fresh aioli sauce - my amigo and I had been telling the lady who owned it how much we loved aioli and we think she made it fresh for us.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I love this thread! Any suggestions for food along the Coastal Camino Portuguese?!

Now Pat and I like good food. And so we are always on the look out. Last night we stayed at the Parador in Villafranca del Beirzo purely because of the good reviews on the food. It was not that great sadly.

In Vega de Valcarce we are staying at the Las Rocas casa rural. We picked it based on the food reviews ;)

Simple dishes, with quality ingrediants, cooked and prepared by someone who really cares!

My main course was trout with chips and salad. Delicious. Even the chips were perfectly cooked....and hot for a change. And the salad so fresh and crisp.

This place is a gem. It's owned by husband and wife team Jorge and Ana. Ana is the magician in the kitchen.

Well done to you both!

Thank you for highlighting a gem on the way. Ana exemplifies hospitality and that the best meal has simplicity, local ingredients and is made with love.

View attachment 43076

View attachment 43077

Well done to you both!

View attachment 43076

View attachment 43077
Thank you for reminding us of this gem on the way. Ana exemplifies hospitality. The meal was simple, used local ingredients and served with love.

Well done to you both!

View attachment 43076

View attachment 43077

I couldn't agree more about how good this place is.
I dined here with Spanish amigos and the lunch was so good that we walked back from the albergue at Ruitelan to have our evening meal here.
The trout with chips and salad was absolutely perfecto.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe...
Hello, I have reserved a night in an Albergue and the confirmation says Fecha de entrada: 2024-06-05. In the UK we would write this as 05-06-2024, is that what this means, 5th June 2024, I am...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back