• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The best, stripped-down guidebooks (Le Puy and Frances)

ziggzagg

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning a Camino in late Summer of 2015.
Hello everybody,

I'm in the last planning stages before leaving to walk the Camino (Le Puy to Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia), and I'd like advice on guidebooks to take.

I had considered walking without, but I imagined the situation, and especially in France I think I would appreciate knowing what the next town is, and how far I would need to walk to get there, or whether or not I should stock up on food before carrying on. Whether I get that information in the form of a map or chart doesn't matter to me too much, though I do have a soft spot for maps. In general though, I would like to keep things compact and light, as I'm already brushing up against my weight ceiling.

I was also curious about some of the cultural information that one might find in more comprehensive guides. How useful or interesting is this stuff? I'm not religious, but I'm very interested in the history and cultural specifics of Iberia, and I'd prefer not to miss out on anything major just so that I can avoid a few dozen pages' worth of weight.

Superficially, I like the approach of the Confraternity of St. James stuff, though I've only ever browsed through their website, and I've never had the opportunity to see the actual guides.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello,

The Miam Miam Dodo guides are close to your wishes : maps, distances, detailed information about accommodation and retails (opening days and hours).
Sample page : http://www.levieuxcrayon.com/MMDDGR65/MMDDGR65.html

In French only (although the vocabulary is rather limited). No cultural information, apart from flashcodes leading to other sources.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
John Brierley does a couple of stripped down Map guides that contain only the essentials. I used it last year and was quite happy as the full guide is considerably larger with lot's of interesting but unnecessary (imo) details. You'll also meet people all a long the way with interesting information of places to go/see/stay so I wouldn't worry about missing out by not having a full guide with you.

Thanks for all of the advice! I also asked around on the Camino de Santiago subreddit, and got some good information.

For the Le Puy route, the Miam Miam Dodo seems like a good guide, though a little bit thick for my liking. I like the way the maps and information are laid out though, and it'll force me to learn a little bit of French, which is a goal for me.

For the Frances route, somebody on the subreddit advised me to check out http://www.caminoguide.net/. They make a stripped-down Frances guide that has the minimal amount of information necessary. For a little bit of money they also provide one with more cultural information. I'll be putting it on my e-reader and hoping I don't lose/break it before I start the Camino, and put a PDF copy on my other electronics as well.

I have both books from John Brierley, the compleet pocktetbook "the way of St. James and the one with only maps. I will use the book in the evenings for preparation and nice to know and from the mapbook I will tear a page a day for in my pocket to guide me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not a guidebook, just the story of our adventure from Le Puy to St Jean is now out on Amazon as an e-book. "My Camino in France" by Maggie Ramsay. It might help you to get the atmosphere of this fantastic pilgrim walk, which is very different to the Camino Frances in Spain.

For the Frances, look at the Kelly electronic guide (if you are taking some device anyway). Good, has the distances and accommodations with cultural stuff in a separate file that you can hyperlink to. And all of those electrons weigh surprisingly little.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.