• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing shake down requested - Camino Frances - Oct/Nov

mr. frodo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - 2015 (sjpdp-sdc)
CP - 2019 (porto-sdc)
Hi friends,
I'm super happy to be packing my bag to hit the camino once again! I'll be starting in st jean october 4th, and following the arrows to the ocean, I'll be staying in albergues along the way. This is my 3rd Camino, but I'm always happy to have eyes on my packing. Currently (no water or snacks) the bag is weighing around 15lbs and is *full*. What do you think? Thanks!

Packing List

Backpack - MEC 30L and rain cover
Sleeping bag - lightweight down
2.5L bladder

Clothes

socks - 3 pair merino
undies - 3 pair
sports bars - 2
shirts - one lightweight button up for sunny days
- 2 long sleeves - merino
- 1 short sleeve - merino
- 1 sweater - cashmere
pants - 2 pair hiking pants
- 1 pair long johns
- 1 light weight "bike" shorts

Outerwear

light weight puffy jacket
rain pants
rain jacket
buff (merino)
gloves
pair of worn in Keen hiking boots
sandals for shower/ evenings
hat and sunglasses

toiletries

tooth brush/paste
hand sani
soap
sunscreen
lip chap

Art supplies

sketchbook
watercolour set
4 brushes
3 pencils
3 pens
eraser and pencil sharper

Miss.

6 laundry detergent sheets
2 hankies (1 pee rag, 1 for nose)
phone, cord, charger, adaptor, headphones
wallet & passport
sewing kit, safety pins
2 carabiners (light weight)
towel (quick dry)
3 sets of ear plugs
1 spork

Poles- to be purchased in France

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That is a lot like my list for October-November, except for the art supplies. I do like to be comfortable, warm and well prepared.

You probably have a shirt or two more than you need, and a pair of pants as well. What is your idea about the second pair of hiking pants and the bike shorts? If for sleeping, I suggest using your long johns instead. However, if your second pair of hiking pants can worn under the first, or for sleeping, then you don't need long johns. Remember than in cold weather you can always wear your long johns (or hiking pants) under rain pants for walking.

Start with a normal walking outfit and then think about what to add/remove for different conditions. Then what to wear in the evenings and night, and whether the evening things can double as wear for special situations like extra cold or laundry time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Agree, pretty good list. Maybe lose one long sleeve merino shirt and one pr of hiking pants. Not sure about the bike shorts? Are they for sleeping or biking or what? I would also not fill up a water bladder that full and just carry one 500 ml bottle of water. Can get a second one for the one or two long stretches on the CF.

Packing List

2.5L bladder

Clothes

socks - 3 pair merino
undies - 3 pair
sports bars - 2
- 1 sweater - cashmere
- 1 pair long johns

Outerwear

rain pants
rain jacket
buff (merino)
gloves
hat and sunglasses

toiletries

tooth brush/paste
hand sani
soap
sunscreen
lip chap

Art supplies

sketchbook
watercolour set
4 brushes
3 pencils
3 pens

Miss.

wallet & passport
sewing kit, safety pins
towel (quick dry)
3 sets of ear plugs
1 spork

Assuming that is inclusive of what you would typically be wearing whilst walking; it’s good.

I agree with the suggestions offered with regards to clothing.

But I was struck by your comment that your 30L bag is *full* without snacks or water in the bladder. How are you going to accommodate these additions if the bag is already full? Personally I find a bag that is stuffed to capacity is not a comfortable carry and it becomes a burdensome puzzle trying to fit everything in each day.

Something to think about.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi friends,
I'm super happy to be packing my bag to hit the camino once again! I'll be starting in st jean october 4th, and following the arrows to the ocean, I'll be staying in alburges along the way. This is my 3rd Camino, but I'm always happy to have eyes on my packing. Currently (no water or snacks) the bag is weighing around 15lbs and is *full*. What do you think? Thanks!

Packing List

2.5L bladder

Clothes

socks - 3 pair merino
undies - 3 pair
sports bars - 2
- 1 sweater - cashmere
- 1 pair long johns

Outerwear

rain pants
rain jacket
buff (merino)
gloves
hat and sunglasses

toiletries

tooth brush/paste
hand sani
soap
sunscreen
lip chap

Art supplies

sketchbook
watercolour set
4 brushes
3 pencils
3 pens

Miss.

wallet & passport
sewing kit, safety pins
towel (quick dry)
3 sets of ear plugs
1 spork

I agree with others, you can lose a pair of pants, a long sleeve top, and possibly the cashmere. Surely the puffy jacket will cover you for warmth. I also think don't take the water bladder, you can buy a hose that fits into an ordinary drink bottle on amazon if you like to keep sipping. Buen Camino, I'm mentally gearing up for a third camino in the next year or so.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi friends,
I'm super happy to be packing my bag to hit the camino once again! I'll be starting in st jean october 4th, and following the arrows to the ocean, I'll be staying in alburges along the way. This is my 3rd Camino, but I'm always happy to have eyes on my packing. Currently (no water or snacks) the bag is weighing around 15lbs and is *full*. What do you think? Thanks!

Packing List

2.5L bladder

Clothes

socks - 3 pair merino
undies - 3 pair
sports bars - 2
- 1 sweater - cashmere
- 1 pair long johns

Outerwear

rain pants
rain jacket
buff (merino)
gloves
hat and sunglasses

toiletries

tooth brush/paste
hand sani
soap
sunscreen
lip chap

Art supplies

sketchbook
watercolour set
4 brushes
3 pencils
3 pens

Miss.

wallet & passport
sewing kit, safety pins
towel (quick dry)
3 sets of ear plugs
1 spork

I am currently day 16 on the C Frances. I brought a thickish cotton sleeping bag liner only. It is absolutely adequate. Most pilgrims have a sleeping bag, but they are too hot in these warm albergues. So they open the bags and use them as quilts, or sometimes just lie on top. A bag is an unnecessary weight, and bulky to carry, in my opinion.

I say ditch that water bladder and carry two plastic bottled water water bottles. Typically super lightweight(7-8 grams per .5 liter bottle), refillable(just like a fancy Kleen Kanteen or whatever), easily and cheaply replaced if you lose one. I prefer Fiji water because the bottle is squared-off and thus won’t twist out of your pack pockets as you walk. Added bonus? Recycle them at the end your Camino and carry souvenirs home to family in the space they previously filled. On the CF, there’s plenty of water along the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone, thanks for your ideas.
I will look at dropping one merino long sleeve, and maaaaybbbbeeee a pair of pants (more on that below).
@LisaWalker I think you're right about the Cashmere. It's that or the puffy. I think one insulation layer will be enough.

Dropping a few things will certainly make a bit more space as @Sheesh notes, I do want a bit of extra space.

@J Willhaus - The bike shorts are anti chafing shorts, mostly to save my thighs under hiking pants.
@C clearly - thanks for the clothing mindframe. My long johns and bike shorts are not quite opaque enough to wear out for dinner comfortably, so one pair of hiking pants for evening and one or walking.

Note on pants in general: I used to have a pair of super great hiking pants that were perfect, since they wore out and now i'm trying to figure out which new pants I have are going to work. I'm packing my fears as I'm afraid the new ones are going to cause thigh chafing, which is in part why I'm thinking about bringing 2 pairs. On previous caminos I brought one hiking pant one rainpant and one gong out/ evening/ sleeping pant, however I'm getting close to the deadline of my flight and can't find a suitable paint of pants to fit the role that my going out/ evening / sleeping pant did. 🤔

@J Willhaus & @Carl Remarx @LisaWalker Great notes for water. I'll bring my current bladder and just not fill it full full. As I'd rather use what I have than buy new.

can't find a suitable paint of pants to fit the role that my going out/ evening / sleeping pant
Lightweight non-bulky sweatpants (synthetic or merino) might do the job, and also eliminate the need for long johns.

Are you bringing your old non-chafing pants as one of the two walking pants? Otherwise, how will bringing 2 pairs of pants help with the chafing? Besides don't the bike shorts serve to prevent the chafing?

Packing List

2.5L bladder

Clothes

socks - 3 pair merino
undies - 3 pair
sports bars - 2
- 1 sweater - cashmere
- 1 pair long johns

Outerwear

rain pants
rain jacket
buff (merino)
gloves
hat and sunglasses

toiletries

tooth brush/paste
hand sani
soap
sunscreen
lip chap

Art supplies

sketchbook
watercolour set
4 brushes
3 pencils
3 pens

Miss.

wallet & passport
sewing kit, safety pins
towel (quick dry)
3 sets of ear plugs
1 spork

Given the time of year I always ditch down in favour of synthetic products for warmth. Wet down has zero loft and warmth while synthetics even when soaking still give a level of warmth. Paramo as an example have such jackets and gilets.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How about an anti chafing stick in place of one pair of trousers? There are many varieties on the market, such as the ones below, and come in a variety of sizes. It can also do double duty as a foot/toe lubricant if need be.

body glide.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks mr frodo for the question. Some of the answers helped me also. I have the nerves kicking in as well, first Camino starting around same time as you. Might see you out there. Beun Camino - enjoy.

I say ditch that water bladder and carry two plastic bottled water water bottles. Typically super lightweight(7-8 grams per .5 liter bottle), refillable(just like a fancy Kleen Kanteen or whatever), easily and cheaply replaced if you lose one. I prefer Fiji water because the bottle is squared-off and thus won’t twist out of your pack pockets as you walk. Added bonus? Recycle them at the end your Camino and carry souvenirs home to family in the space they previously filled. On the CF, there’s plenty of water along the way.
I’m with you on the bottles…… and the bladders do seem quite awkward to fill at the various water taps along the way - I have seen people struggling to lean over and hold the bladder with one hand whilst keeping the button pressed with the other. Spanish water pressure adds to the adventure. 😁

I'm going to cast my vote along with everyone else on these few things.

1. Water bladder seems like overkill for October
2. Are you sure you need both the cashmere and down jacket?
3. I think you could replace the rain jacket + pants with a poncho. Not quite as much coverage, but you *are* trying to cut down.
4. I'm skeptical of the sunscreen in October, but I don't know your skin. Maybe consider buying it along the way, if/once you decide you actually need it?

That said, I think the art supplies are kinda the culprit with the 15lb and full backpack. But since I'm sure that's a conscious decision on your part, maybe consider buying a 40L backpack in France along with those poles? (They're like 60 EUR at Decathlon.)

Edit: looking at the typical October weather on the CF, I don't think you need to hedge your bets against rain so much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Packing List

2.5L bladder

Clothes

socks - 3 pair merino
undies - 3 pair
sports bars - 2
- 1 sweater - cashmere
- 1 pair long johns

Outerwear

rain pants
rain jacket
buff (merino)
gloves
hat and sunglasses

toiletries

tooth brush/paste
hand sani
soap
sunscreen
lip chap

Art supplies

sketchbook
watercolour set
4 brushes
3 pencils
3 pens

Miss.

wallet & passport
sewing kit, safety pins
towel (quick dry)
3 sets of ear plugs
1 spork

You are doing fine. If I actually had to change something - then get a 40L backpack so you don't have to complete a puzzle every time you pack your bag in the morning. Also skip the camelbag and go for 2 or 3 normal disposable half litre bottles. Get a waistbag to have your valuables in - and PS: have it on you at all times. Yes that means in the shower room too.

Water bladder seems like overkill for October
Many of us prefer water bladders for ease of use - I like being able to sip as I go
I think you could replace the rain jacket + pants with a poncho
An Altus would cover almost as much as a rain jacket + pants, plus it will keep the backpack drier too - no soaked shoulder straps.

One can be reserved at the Pilgrim store in SJPdP.

Here are the weights and sizes of the Altus

small 325 g / 11.46 oz
M/L 343 g / 12.1 oz
XL/XXL 399 g / 14.07 oz

Small you are shorter than 170 cm (5 feet 7 inches), and - your backpack is smaller than 40 L, and - your weight is under 70 kg (154,3 lbs)

M/L - you are between 170 cm (5 feet 7 inches) and 185 cm (6 feet 1 inch) tall, - the size of your backpack is between 40 and 50 Liters - your weight is between 70 kg (154,3 lbs) and 90 kg (198,4 lbs)

XL/XXL - you are taller than 185 cm (6 feet 1 inch), - your backpack is bigger than 50 Liters - your weight is over 90 kg (198,4 lbs)

@Philtration - the bag is sitting just under 15lbs

@krystianw - Thanks for the link to the weather look ahead website- its amazing! too bad they don't have the historic trends for the way to Muxis and Fin. Thanks for your other insights too, my art supplies are sitting just under a pound, the clothes are really more bulky. I'm a redhead, sunscreen is imperative for me even in the winter (and i live in canada ;) )

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Packing List

2.5L bladder

Clothes

socks - 3 pair merino
undies - 3 pair
sports bars - 2
- 1 sweater - cashmere
- 1 pair long johns

Outerwear

rain pants
rain jacket
buff (merino)
gloves
hat and sunglasses

toiletries

tooth brush/paste
hand sani
soap
sunscreen
lip chap

Art supplies

sketchbook
watercolour set
4 brushes
3 pencils
3 pens

Miss.

wallet & passport
sewing kit, safety pins
towel (quick dry)
3 sets of ear plugs
1 spork

I am also starting in St Jean Pied de Port on the 4th! I have been going back and forth on bringing my own art supplies, and I think I am going to settle for a small writing pad, a small watercolor set and a brush/pen. But your clothes list is very similar to what I've been narrowing it down to.

I love cashmere, especially next to the skin, but find it does not take kindly to being under a backpack, or being in contact with anything velcro. Think about whether you are happy for your cashmere to be ruined, and maybe substitute with something a bit more robust.
- 1 sweater - cashmere

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The only things on the list you can't buy in Spain are:
  • passport (and what’s in the wallet)
  • pair of worn in Keen hiking boots (but I got a good price on new shoes in Estella)
Of course it may be more convenient and/or less expensive to bring many things with you. It's a trade-off, weight vs. cost/convenience. I personally lean toward "pack minimum/buy when needed," but I guess I'm an extremist. (Confession, however: on one of my trips, I towed behind my bike a trailer weighing 37 kilos!)

The three things I wish I HAD brought are a third pair of underwear(which I saw that you had), gators, and sandals that I could hike in to give blisters a break. I feel like the gravel dust is chewing up my socks/inside of my shoes, and my feet. It’s quite dusty! And I had all three in my pack list at one point.🤦‍♀️

Hi friends,
I'm super happy to be packing my bag to hit the camino once again! I'll be starting in st jean october 4th, and following the arrows to the ocean, I'll be staying in albergues along the way. This is my 3rd Camino, but I'm always happy to have eyes on my packing. Currently (no water or snacks) the bag is weighing around 15lbs and is *full*. What do you think? Thanks!

Packing List

2.5L bladder

Clothes

socks - 3 pair merino
undies - 3 pair
sports bars - 2
- 1 sweater - cashmere
- 1 pair long johns

Outerwear

rain pants
rain jacket
buff (merino)
gloves
hat and sunglasses

toiletries

tooth brush/paste
hand sani
soap
sunscreen
lip chap

Art supplies

sketchbook
watercolour set
4 brushes
3 pencils
3 pens

Miss.

wallet & passport
sewing kit, safety pins
towel (quick dry)
3 sets of ear plugs
1 spork

Nice job, tight rig there. You find that the extras - snacks, water, camera, phone? - etc really add up? I do. All about placement I guess…

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Forget the bladder !!!

A 2.5 bladder filled with water weighs over 2.5 kilos ..... more than 2 pounds!!
Fortunately, there's no rule that you need to fill it. For me, a water bladder is just easier to use.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Given the time of year I always ditch down in favour of synthetic products for warmth. Wet down has zero loft and warmth while synthetics even when soaking still give a level of warmth. Paramo as an example have such jackets and gilets.
Down sleeping bags and jackets are great because they pack down so small and light. I also find that they are comfortable in a greater range of temperatures than synthetics are. In my many, many years of backpacking and distance walking, there has never been an occasion for my sleeping bag or down jacket to get wet. Very easy to avoid and their benefits far outweight this theoretical problem.

Nice job, tight rig there. You find that the extras - snacks, water, camera, phone? - etc really add up? I do. All about placement I guess…
I was fairly careful while packing, but after doing some tasting at wineries in the Bierzo region, I ended up with a bottle of wine in each of my pack side pockets. Stuff like this just happens. (Or it does to me) Notice I found a more practical use for that ice axe loop, too.

Attachments

• bierzo wine.jpg
    bierzo wine.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 9
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down sleeping bags and jackets are great because they pack down so small and light. I also find that they are comfortable in a greater range of temperatures than synthetics are. In my many, many years of backpacking and distance walking, there has never been an occasion for my sleeping bag or down jacket to get wet. Very easy to avoid and their benefits far outweight this theoretical problem.
Do come and try your theory in wet north-west Europe

There is (seriously), and as you probably know better than I, no winter like a Scottish mountain winter for serious cold. I climbed frequently in the Cairngorms until a few years ago- once with a Norwegian, well used to -30s , who couldn’t believe how cold it was at what the thermometer said was not much below freezing.

Even treated down is useless when wet.

There is (seriously), and as you probably know better than I, no winter like a Scottish mountain winter for serious cold. I climbed frequently in the Cairngorms until a few years ago- once with a Norwegian, well used to -30s , who couldn’t believe how cold it was at what the thermometer said was not much below freezing.

Even treated down is useless when wet.
Absolutely the case! My belay jackets are not down for that reason. I use a down sleeping bag because I normally no longer camp in winter nor use howfs. A Bothy roof is far preferred.As you will attest a down jacket in Scotland gets soaked under even Goretex and becomes soaking pape mache that provides zero worm and insulation. Not the best result in the conditions that you outline so well. 👍
wales and Ireland have similar Atlantic conditions.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
[[Henrythedog:
Even treated down is useless when wet.]]

You are describing a completely different scenario. We're talking about walking the Camino in Spain. And sleeping indoors. If I were climbing in winter, bivouacking in iffy situations, then yes, I would use synthetics. I have hiked and camped in very wet places, but as long as I had a tent and a pack cover, my sleeping bag getting wet was not an issue. And, for walking the camino, I still say that the benefits of down over synthetics outweigh the theoretical risks.

Last edited:
[[Henrythedog:
Even treated down is useless when wet.]]

You are describing a completely different scenario. We're talking about walking the Camino in Spain. And sleeping indoors. If I were climbing in winter, bivouacking in iffy situations, then yes, I would use synthetics. I have hiked and camped in very wet places, but as long as I had a tent and a pack cover, my sleeping bag getting wet was not an issue. And, for walking the camino, I still say that the benefits of down over synthetics outweigh the theoretical risks.
Yes; agreed. BothyDave was commenting on different conditions and I was responding to him (although publicly).

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.