• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The big question...

Ian Afloat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF July 25th 2017 from SJPDP
...boxers or briefs?
Going to be dropping a fairly large chunk of change on quick dry underwear in the next couple of months. Which is best...boxer shorts or briefs? Or a question of suck it and see? Don't want to be left with a fifty quid duster!

Ian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wore Icebreaker Anatomica boxers - merino wool. Very comfortable. I didn't have any problems with them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Never got on with merino wool. Hi-tech trunks (not boxers) from Rohan have been my choice for the past 6 years.
http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-base-layer-clothing

Buen camino
Tio Tel

There you go muddying the water with a third choice! ;)
Is the only difference between a "boxer" and a "trunk" the snugness of the fit on the leg part? And is it possible that some of the manufacturers call anything with a leg "boxers"?
Buen (confused) Camino

Ian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There you go muddying the water with a third choice! ;)
Is the only difference between a "boxer" and a "trunk" the snugness of the fit on the leg part?
Ian
I understand that
"briefs" = cut away sides - http://www.rohan.co.uk/new-clothing-and-accessories-for-men-Cool-Silver-Briefs
"trunks" = some crotch support - http://www.rohan.co.uk/new-clothing-and-accessories-for-men-Ultra-Silver-Trunks
"boxers" = loose fitting crotch and top of leg - http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+super_rohan_boxer_shorts,312273092
Definitions may differ depending on manufacturer.

Buen (comfy) camino.
Tio Tel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...boxers or briefs?
Going to be dropping a fairly large chunk of change on quick dry underwear in the next couple of months. Which is best...boxer shorts or briefs? Or a question of suck it and see? Don't want to be left with a fifty quid duster!

Ian

Ian,
Might be worth having a look at the range of "trunks" in your local M&S if you have one, they have served me well for my walking.
Buen Camino

I brought along 2 pairs of under armour quick dry briefs. They dry super quick, no chaffing but were a little more expensive than normal.
I learnt the hard way. Experienced chaffing in 2011 with cotton UW.

While practicing for the Camino, I had chafing if I carried more than 12 kilos of sand in my pack. Tried Under Armour and no more chafing. Took 4 pair on Camino and only had two pair stolen from drying lines. Expensive gear/clothing tends to walk away while drying! Was surprised how expensive Quick Drying clothing was/is in hiking stores along the Camino--saw QD underwear shorts for 35 euros!

Look at pictures of drying lines on web sites and you will see a mixture of everything. I was not concerned about drying , but was concerned about chafing. I must admit however that my chafing may have been caused by the pack pulling on my underwear. And that is something you should find out before walking the Camino with a full pack. Kept pack; changed brand of underwear--worked for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Rohan trunks that Terry mentioned are very light weight (75gms each) and quick drying. He carried 3 pairs and wore the other pair. These were way lighter than his usual M&S trunks.

...boxers or briefs?

Ian
Hello Ian,
My ExOfficio briefs weigh 67 grams whereas the boxers weigh 90 grams. If you're obsessive about weight take the briefs. If not, then take a risk and go with one of each.

Good hiking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You all can't be serious about the weight of your underwear! Or are you? It is not a very difficult hike!

Only advice I can give about weight is that the best place to find 500 gram rocks to put in your pack or pockets for added weight is when walking down hill prior to Molinaseca.

...boxers or briefs?

Ian
My son wore tech boxers. He absolutely loved 'em. Until the chafing started. I noticed him walking strangely - then limping. When he finally showed me the blisters between his legs (he is trim and in good shape, btw) I was horrified. Open sores. We stopped and bought him a couple of pairs of tech briefs that kept his pink bits squared away along with a lot of diaper rash ointment. He still has scars - I am not kidding.

Boxers, exofficio
http://www.exofficio.com/products/mens/underwear

2 Caminos, quick drying, Winter and Summer.

I went with 3 pairs. No regrets...

I think I posted when I first joined this forum, that I was a boxer man. I have been for years. I decided to go down to a department store to see what they had for "technical" undies. All they had were briefs and boxer briefs. I decided to give the boxer briefs a shot. I took one step out the door to go on a walk and said, "Nope!"

Aaaargh! Boxer briefs? Is there no end to the confusion?
Having said that, the in store choice of technical underwear in the outdoor stores here in the UK is absolutely pathetic!

I like the synthetic boxers. Cool, dry, and air can circulate. :) With the exception of my wool socks everything I wear on the Camino is synthetic.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ian,
Might be worth having a look at the range of "trunks" in your local M&S if you have one, they have served me well for my walking.
Buen Camino

Popped into M&S today and got a couple of pairs of "microskin" trunks. 92% polysomething, 8% Lycra. Looks like they'll dry pretty quickly; going to check out the chafing quotient in the White Peaks later this week.
A lot cheaper than Under Armor etc...£17 for 2 pairs.

...boxers or briefs?

Ian
The high performance synthetic briefs with a long, 9" inseam. Made by several manufacturers such as Under Armour.
Wore them on both my Caminos. Worked perfect. Easy to wash and dry fast. No chafing and they don't ride up.

Glad to report that the M&S option is very good. Went on a 10 mile walk in the Peak District yesterday and they performed excellently...no riding up and no chafing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You all can't be serious about the weight of your underwear! Or are you? It is not a very difficult hike!

I am a 71 year old weighing in at 62 kilos! I weigh EVERYTHING :p Even putting things on the kitchen scales to choose between different pairs of socks / trunks etc. (I do draw the line at cutting off my toothbrush handle!!) That way I can get my pack weight down to 6.5 kilos without water.
Pack light - walk happy sez I ;)

Blessings
Tio Tel

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.