• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino for LGBTQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to interview you, privately online.
Regards

These threads might be helpful.

Maybe let us know the reason for your research? Is it academic or commercial? How will you interview and how will you summarize and make it public?

Good luck.

These threads might be helpful.

Maybe let us know the reason for your research? Is it academic or commercial? How will you interview and how will you summarize and make it public?

Good luck.
Hi, thank you very much for your post, I am quite new in this. The reason is just academic. It is a research to be published in a journal for a special issue on being queer and religious. I am interested in the relationship between LGBT identity and space, in this case a space of religious origin and currently with a strong charge of spirituality.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome, Xosé from Santiago de Compostela.

It is a bit strange you're not using your full name, who you're doing this research for or the purpose of the research.

I'd advise people not to participate until you can be a bit more open about your motives.
Hi Antnix1, thank you for your replay; I am new in this. You can check my profile in https://investigacion.usc.gal/investigadores/60354/detalle
The purpose is academic and and I would very much appreciate your support

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's cool. Apologies for being suspicious! Even on my camino i met people very anti-catholic/Christian. Good to hear this is a real academic study
Thank you again for your support!!

@Xose, I don't know what questions you will be asking because we haven't interviewed (and there's a good reason for that). I do suggest a possible direction for the way to go through. Two things about a pilgrimage on the caminos that wouldn't show up on other papers on sexuality and religion are the meetings with persons from a large number of regions with different views of LGBTQ people their movement and also the closeness of contact between between them in albergues, possibly over a lengthy period of time.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
@Xose, I don't know what questions you will be asking because we haven't interviewed (and there's a good reason for that). I do suggest a possible direction for the way to go through. Two things about a pilgrimage on the caminos that wouldn't show up on other papers on sexuality and religion are the meetings with persons from a large number of regions with different views of LGBTQ people their movement and also the closeness of contact between between them in albergues, possibly over a lengthy period of time.
Hello, thank you very much for your comment and suggestions. My questions are mostly related to whether or not people feel "out of place" or prioritise being a member of the "pilgrim community" (the communitas) as opposed to the "LGBT community". My questions are not closed, I am more interested in reflection. I am also interested, of course, in the opinions that straight people have about gay people walking the Camino. I know that it is said that the Way is for everyone, but there are people who are bothered by the presence of LGBT people, especially when they openly show their sexual identity.

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to interview you, privately online.
Regards
Hi Xosé
Thanks for the research you are doing. I also have been curious about your topic. I am doing the walk for the first time from Portugal into Spain next week, and as a gay man, traveling solo, I have my trepidations about acceptance , both as a member of the LGBT community, and as a spiritual open minded person. I have seen very few posts regarding the LGBT community of pilgrims. I have no fear about my walk, just have been curious about my experience. I feel the walk is for anyone, yet I do wonder….

Hi Xosé
Thanks for the research you are doing. I also have been curious about your topic. I am doing the walk for the first time from Portugal into Spain next week, and as a gay man, traveling solo, I have my trepidations about acceptance , both as a member of the LGBT community, and as a spiritual open minded person. I have seen very few posts regarding the LGBT community of pilgrims. I have no fear about my walk, just have been curious about my experience. I feel the walk is for anyone, yet I do wonder….
Hi Russ, thank you for your msg. If you agree we could meet at your arrival in Santiago, it would be nice to talk to you about your experience.
Buen Camino
Xosè

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Regards

Hi Xose! I walked the CF in 2022 and would be happy to talk about my experience over email or in person when I am in Santiago after finishing the CP from Porto next month. Sent you a DM - feel free to reach out.

Hi Russ, thank you for your msg. If you agree we could meet at your arrival in Santiago, it would be nice to talk to you about your experience.
Buen Camino
Xosè
xosè
If talking to you about my experience and furthering your research I would be happy to meet with you in Santiago. I will be staying an additional three days once I arrive. I’m a firm believer in any sort of research that can better anyone and everyone’s Camino, regardless of their lifestyle and religious beliefs.

Hi Xose! I walked the CF in 2022 and would be happy to talk about my experience over email or in person when I am in Santiago after finishing the CP from Porto next month. Sent you a DM - feel free to reach out.
Hello again!! For me it would be better to meet you in person. In May i will be out of the city between 11 an 18. If the dates are goid for you we could meet in person
Regards
Xosè

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm not sure this qualifies as "research material." Nonetheless, you may want to consider reading Hape Kerkeling's book I'm Off Then: Losing and Finding Myself on the Camino de Santiago. He is a German comedian who struggled with his orientation and some challenges around self-absorption. Walking the Camino, he achieved some amount of anonymity and, well, I don't want to give away the ending. He wrote it in German, but I found that his humor and insights came through well in the English translation. Besides that, I think that Hape's account is just a plain good read. It was made into a film in 2015, but I had trouble following it with subtitles so have not watched it.

Hi Jarrad Yes I know that book that was translated into spanish. It is a good idea! I did not remember it

Hi Xose - seven of us will be walking the Portuguese - Senda Litoral from mid-May to early June. We are women in our 60’s and early 70’s, 5 lesbians and 2 straight women. I would be happy to speak with you after our adventure. BTW - none of us are religious and several of us are deeply spiritual.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm happy to see this thread, @Xose. And interested to know what you find out.

I am also interested, of course, in the opinions that straight people have about gay people walking the Camino. I know that it is said that the Way is for everyone, but there are people who are bothered by the presence of LGBT people, especially when they openly show their sexual identity.
The more of us - however we identify - the merrier.

I am walking the Francés starting May 8. I am a married queer woman walking with with a transgender friend and their husband.

I have an evangelical back ground and consider this walk a true spiritual pilgrimage for me.

My friend has a strong Catholic background but no Christian belief.

My friend’s husband is an atheist who is walking for health reasons and deeply values community.

We will join my parents in Sarria and my wife and bonus son in Santiago. My parents are spiritual and religious. My wife was very religious until she felt rejected by the church.

I know I would love to talk post Camino, my companions would also likely be willing to talk.

Hi Xosé
Hi... as a straight older guy who walked that route some years ago there were times where 'acceptance' was not forthcoming. It happens to everyone for a lot of reasons not necessarily to do with you - the mistake would be to put down to being part of the gay community.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Xose - seven of us will be walking the Portuguese - Senda Litoral from mid-May to early June. We are women in our 60’s and early 70’s, 5 lesbians and 2 straight women. I would be happy to speak with you after our adventure. BTW - none of us are religious and several of us are deeply spiritual.
Hello. Thank you veey much. I apreciate very much your kindness. I wold love to talk to all of you. Please let me know when you are in Santiago and if you need any help just let me know. Buen Camino
Xosè

Hi... as a straight older guy who walked that route some years ago there were times where 'acceptance' was not forthcoming. It happens to everyone for a lot of reasons not necessarily to do with you - the mistake would be to put down to being part of the gay community.
With respect, Bruce, as a straight male you will never know or truly understand the discrimination, homophobia, and harassment that those in the LGBTQ community may experience. Often there is no question of why it is occurring - many people are not shy about expressing these types of views.

I am walking the Francés starting May 8. I am a married queer woman walking with with a transgender friend and their husband.

I have an evangelical back ground and consider this walk a true spiritual pilgrimage for me.

My friend has a strong Catholic background but no Christian belief.

My friend’s husband is an atheist who is walking for health reasons and deeply values community.

We will join my parents in Sarria and my wife and bonus son in Santiago. My parents are spiritual and religious. My wife was very religious until she felt rejected by the church.

I know I would love to talk post Camino, my companions would also likely be willing to talk.
Hello. Thank you for your post. I would like to meet you here in Santiago. Could you text me by email when in Santiago? I apreciate very much
Regards

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear Xosé,
I am not a member of the LGBTQ community, but I am a queer ally. I met a lot of people walking the Camino last year, but one couple that made an impression on me was a pareja of two women. They walked holding hands and singing. Their joy was contagious! They were openly affectionate and it made me happy that they felt comfortable enough to hug and kiss. Love is love! 🌈

as a straight older guy who walked that route some years ago there were times where 'acceptance' was not forthcoming. It happens to everyone for a lot of reasons not necessarily to do with you - the mistake would be to put down to being part of the gay community.

mmmm....I'll take my cues from the LGBTQ community when they speak to their own experiences on acceptance.

Hello. Thank you veey much. I apreciate very much your kindness. I wold love to talk to all of you. Please let me know when you are in Santiago and if you need any help just let me know. Buen Camino
Xosè
Xose - we arrive in Santiago on June 4th and will stay until the 6th. I will try to reach out to you. The 5th may be the best day to talk. Thank you for your kind offer of help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Xose, I thought the Cluny hospitals were set up on the Caminos to welcome EVERYONE. I am an old straight guy and hope that is still the case And I enjoyed reading Hape Kerkeling’s book long ago. I welcome anyone who walks to share the albergue. Oh, wait, some snorers excluded. Buen Camino

Xose - we arrive in Santiago on June 4th and will stay until the 6th. I will try to reach out to you. The 5th may be the best day to talk. Thank you for your kind offer of help.
Thank you very much for your replay. Please keep in touch and we will meet next June 5

Hi all of you,
My spouse Debby and I just had the privilege of meeting with Xosé. It was a true delight and a high point of my Camino Primitivo! I hope many of us on this forum support his research. The more the merrier/gayer! Graciñas, Xosé for undertaking this work and for your incredible generosity and gentleness of Spirit! Bikiños, Aymarah

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you looking only for people walking for religious reasons? I've walked twice with my kid, who is very obviously nonbinary, but did not walk with any religious purpose.* If they are someone you would be interested in talking with, I can put you in touch.

*We are both athiest Jews, although my kid does teach Hebrew school.

Are you looking only for people walking for religious reasons? I've walked twice with my kid, who is very obviously nonbinary, but did not walk with any religious purpose.* If they are someone you would be interested in talking with, I can put you in touch.

*We are both athiest Jews, although my kid does teach Hebrew school.
Hello, thank you for your message. Not I am looking for all kind of pilgrims, non just those with religious reasons. It could be nice if I could talk to you and your kid

€83,-
With respect, Bruce, as a straight male you will never know or truly understand the discrimination, homophobia, and harassment that those in the LGBTQ community may experience. Often there is no question of why it is occurring - many people are not shy about expressing these types of views.
The same "you will never know" applies in all directions. If person #1 cannot know the person #2's experience, the opposite must also be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
I regret not reading Iberia earlier, however, it is never to late to read this marvelous tome, published in 1968. I just finished reading it, two years after beginning my Camino Frances. In Iberia...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...
Look at this! My daily walking route in my neighborhood has a recently inaugurated Cruceiro flown over from Spain! Like it’s sister Cruceiro it was sculpted from a single block of granite the new...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back