• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino in the Media

jbrehove

The 1957 movie The Pride and the Passion with Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, and Sophia Loren has several scenes at the Cathedral. Interesting way to see how it looked before the Camino’s resurgence. Also, the only time I’ve seen Frank Sinatra talk with a fake Spanish accent.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That’s the Camino in Santiago?!?! I thought that movie was about the Sistine Chapel! 🤔

The Pride and the Passion with Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, and Sophia Loren
This “1957 American Napoleonic-era film in Technicolor” can be watched in full length on YouTube. I had a quick look, with sound muted and at double speed, and saw that the first scenes show indeed the Praza do Obradoiro and the fronts of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela and the Parador hotel. Are there more shots like this later on in the movie?

It is perhaps a bit of a stretch to call this movie an example of the “Camino in the media”. The Spanish Wikipedia entry says that the movie’s locations include Valdemoro, Pinto, Segovia, El Escorial, Ávila, el puerto del Pico, Oropesa, Torrelaguna, Arbo and Santiago de Compostela.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Camino de Santiago plays a central role in the recent film, The Way, written and directed by Emilio Estevez (Repo Man), and starring his father, Martin Sheen (Apocalypse Now, The West Wing). The Way depicts an estranged father, who travels to France to pick up his son’s body, after the son’s untimely demise on the first stage of his pilgrimage. Not fully understanding his reasons, the father decides to journey along the Camino, using his son’s hiking gear. Other pilgrims intrude on his journey, which begins as a grim, morbid undertaking to better know his estranged son. Later in the film, the father’s travels evolve into a pilgrimage. We see each pilgrim’s individual journey and their collective experiences, and how each affects the other. The Camino brings the father closer spiritually to his son and returns him to his faith, and away from a life of comfort and country clubs.

The Way was recently shown at my local church, where Mr. Sheen is a longtime parishioner. He talked afterwards about how filming The Way changed his and the cast’s lives, and how they bonded over the course of the filming. The experience was a labor of love by family, and they enjoyed the experience so much that they are producing The Way II. The film partly inspired me to undertake my own Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That was "The Agony and the Ecstasy" you're thinking of.
Correct! Phew, now I know I’m not forgetful, just confused! Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

Between Pamplona and Los Arcos we have seen many heavily pruned trees. About 2 to 4 m high. Often in populated public spaces. Any suggestions what they are?
The Pilgrim Garden is an outdoor restorative place for pilgrims to restore, reflect, journal, pray, or simply enjoy nature. Installation May 11, 2024 along Camino Frances in Os Chacotes Park...
Laberinto del Camino is new labyrinth peace/prayer path built for pilgrims located in Os Chacotes Park, Palas de Rei along Camino Frances. Installed May 2022. This labyrinth invites all pilgrims...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back