• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Cure" for feet

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
i'm just re-reading, for the umpteenth time, my favourite walking book, by John Hillaby, written in 1972, the book that first got me interested in long distance walking. It's the record (and musings) of his walk from Holland to the Mediterranean, avoiding roads along the way. He was a journalist, a naturalist, a self taught scholar, with a prodigious and eclectic knowledge and a great sense of humour. The book is out of print sadly.

Of specific interest, I've just come across this passage:

"About feet there is something that few but infantrymen and long-distance walkers know: that is, by continuous pounding they become flattened. They splay out, plantigrade, like the feet of a bear. In my experience the process is most evident after about two hundred miles, the distance from Land's End to Bristol, where, some years ago, I thought a walk through Britain had come to a stop. Now it so happens I had again walked just about that distance from the sea and it was about time I took the cure.

A simple matter. You bathe your feet. I dangled mine in the canal for ten minutes. You dry them, carefully, and put on thin socks, or none at all. Sockless and comfortable, I walked on...."

Might be worth a try.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I remember enjoying pure bliss when I dipped my feet into the cooling waters of the river at Zubiri. I even enjoyed the little fish nibbling around my feet.
Crumbs!
I hope they weren't piranhas or those awful fish which swim up men's nether regions :(

I wish you all a happy, fish-biting free camino!

I was advised by experienced pilgrims to get some ice under my arch ( or roll a cold can of drink) to help with what I took to be developing plantar fasciitis

I asked for a little ice at a bar but was pointed in the direction of a horse trough fed by mountain water - it felt unimaginably wonderful until the cold quickly became too much to bare and the last few seconds were through gritted teeth and I looked like a Galician hyena

The next hour or so walking was greatly improved.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
i'm just re-reading, for the umpteenth time, my favourite walking book, by John Hillaby, written in 1972, the book that first got me interested in long distance walking. It's the record (and musings) of his walk from Holland to the Mediterranean, avoiding roads along the way. He was a journalist, a naturalist, a self taught scholar, with a prodigious and eclectic knowledge and a great sense of humour. The book is out of print sadly.

Of specific interest, I've just come across this passage:

"About feet there is something that few but infantrymen and long-distance walkers know: that is, by continuous pounding they become flattened. They splay out, plantigrade, like the feet of a bear. In my experience the process is most evident after about two hundred miles, the distance from Land's End to Bristol, where, some years ago, I thought a walk through Britain had come to a stop. Now it so happens I had again walked just about that distance from the sea and it was about time I took the cure.

A simple matter. You bathe your feet. I dangled mine in the canal for ten minutes. You dry them, carefully, and put on thin socks, or none at all. Sockless and comfortable, I walked on...."

Might be worth a try.
Thank you for that info Manga ...fyi I have now bought the book on Amazon for 1p and eagerly await its arrival

Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.