• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hard or soft skin on feet and toes?

KariannNor

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Finestere 2023, 2024 ?
Maybe I should stop reading this forum, I hear things that confuse me a lot.. Without saying anything about my own habits, I wonder what you think: is hard and hardened skin on feet and toes the best to prevent blisters, or constantly peeling away (on your own or by a podiatrist) the hard parts/skin so that you get baby-soft skin?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe I should stop reading this forum, I hear things that confuse me a lot.. Without saying anything about my own habits, I wonder what you think: is hard and hardened skin on feet and toes the best to prevent blisters, or constantly peeling away (on your own or by a podiatrist) the hard parts/skin so that you get baby-soft skin?
Yes, the forum is mostly people's opinions or experiences. When you post a question, that is what you will get and not usually anything science-based. People post about what worked or didn't work for them and/or why they did something a certain way. What works for one person may not work for another so that is why you get so many different responses.

Personally, I don't like anyone touching my feet, so would probably never go to a podiatrist or get a pedicure. I don't like lotions or vaseline. I don't wear double socks, etc. I have some moderate callouses apparently because of the way I walk and the way my foot interacts with my shoe. If I get a blister, it is usually in the same place each time. Mostly if I feel a hotspot, I stop, take my shoes and socks off and put some tape on that spot. I try not to "keep up" with someone walking faster. For me, it has nothing to do with how soft or hard the skin on my feet is. It is more of an awareness of what works or doesn't work for me personally. Just an opinion, no science.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For me the issue is - when you have been doing your practice walks and you toughen up your feet - your skin is toughening up a bit, but getting thick callouses is unnecessary. But - Getting a really great pedicure right before you go where they remove hardened and calloused areas leaves, which leaves the remaining too skin soft and vulnerable and more at risk for problems when walking. I have nothing against pedicures - I love them. But, I wouldn't get one in the last month or more before departure. And then during that last month before departure - I do lots of walks and I do my best to protect hot spots. I don't want to create more blisters OR callouses - but I also don't want to remove those previously calloused areas in the last month before departure.

Like with everything - there is a time/place to take steps to soften your feet. Before I start walking - that freshly softened skin will be at more risk. But I also don't want to purposely build up my callouses for months and months which can also lead to problems.

And as jwillhous said - it is most important to know what blister prevention works for your feet. For me that is injinji toe sock liners paired with a cushioned mernino wool sock in altra lone peaks sized up. For others - they use different shoes/socks. Some people tape their feet. Some people vaseline their feet. Knowing what works for you and your feet is the best way to prevent blisters. This is why it is so important to try on socks/shoes at home and practice in them.

Having very soft skin will in most people usually lead to blisters.

But hard skin very often will too.

It's not hard skin that helps to prevent blisters from forming ; but thicker, more leathery skin.

So soft/hard is the wrong dichotomy ; it should be thin/thick.

I have rather leathery skin on the bottom of my feet -- but if I get a hard patch, I'll certainly do something to deal with it !!

I lean towards soft skin and when at home remove calluses myself. They tend to develop quite quickly on my heels and side of big toes as I walk a lot at home. While on the Camino I just use Vaseline daily and remove the calluses when I return home. I can't be bothered bringing extra paraphernalia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, the forum is mostly people's opinions or experiences. When you post a question, that is what you will get and not usually anything science-based. People post about what worked or didn't work for them and/or why they did something a certain way. What works for one person may not work for another so that is why you get so many different responses.

Personally, I don't like anyone touching my feet, so would probably never go to a podiatrist or get a pedicure. I don't like lotions or vaseline. I don't wear double socks, etc. I have some moderate callouses apparently because of the way I walk and the way my foot interacts with my shoe. If I get a blister, it is usually in the same place each time. Mostly if I feel a hotspot, I stop, take my shoes and socks off and put some tape on that spot. I try not to "keep up" with someone walking faster. For me, it has nothing to do with how soft or hard the skin on my feet is. It is more of an awareness of what works or doesn't work for me personally. Just an opinion, no science.
J, this is one of the best responses I have seen on this blog

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.