A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The English Way surpasses the Primitive and is the fourth route with more pilgrims

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Camino(s) past & future
A total of eight in the past 6 years!
Don't we think this has something to do with the rise in the extensions from the UK, such as the "Celtic Caminos?" Also it is truly the only short Camino that one can do in a week or less. It was a perfect first one for me, years ago, when I had no more time off, but wanted a taste of what it was all about. The Inglés definitely delivers as it may be short but it ain't easy!

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Don't we think this has something to do with the rise in the extensions from the UK, such as the "Celtic Caminos?" Also it is truly the only short Camino that one can do in a week or less.
I think more the latter. Brits and Irish people are still a fairly small minority though the Camino Society Ireland is making big efforts. I think it is part of a wider trend for numbers to grow on the "minor" Caminos while the Frances has seen a definite slow-down.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
The article also says that there have been complaints about the new itinerary on C.Ingles (after Casa Julia I think) with more asphalt. Particularly about the dangerous 2 kms of road after Meson do Vento.
The Xunta is thinking about returning to the old way.
I noticed that in the article. To be honest, as I did not know the old way, I cannot say anything about the difference. The best thing I can say is that the final day is a day that offers magic.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
I noticed that in the article. To be honest, as I did not know the old way, I cannot say anything about the difference. The best thing I can say is that the final day is a day that offers magic.
I did it. The up hill after Casa Julia and then the "highlands" of Coruña province with a quite different landscape. I liked it

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Camino(s) past & future
A total of eight in the past 6 years!
Thank you all for your vote of confidence. My bad - but of course I knew that Ireland was separate. It's those dang ones to the north that I got temporarily confused about. Or maybe it was because I am seriously considering the Cornish Camino which I knew about. Anyone done that one?? I'd love to hear about it.

And I am fascinated by the fact that the Xunta may switch back to the old Casa Julia route. I have done both, and I must confess that the new way, while I didn't think it was all the dangerous, is NOT all that lovely, like the old one. Perhaps there will be a compromise?? Then I'll have to walk it again! Ha ha.

Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
I liked the "Old" route. Luckily I still have my copy of JW's guide from 2012. With reasonable focus on the task in hand its easy to follow the un-improved path. I remember that to the right and just beyond the no-potable fuente in the rest-area at the top of the climb was a kindly farmer who would fill water bottles from his own spring (and give long lectures on the dangers of drinking tap-water).

doctorherman

Camino(s) past & future
Frances*3, Ingles, Primitivo, Finisterre, Baztan, and Portuguese
Many congratulations to The Camino Ingles on the increased popularity and rise through the ranks.
I look back on the stage from Betanzos to Meson DO Vento as being the toughest Camino stage I have done, with a full on storm taking pace and driving freezing rain later turning to snow. Bar Julia was closed that day.
What lovely people the Meson Novo owners are too!

peregrino_tom

Camino(s) past & future
I heard that one of our most well-known guide writers, when walking the new route discovered old camino markers. Which suggested that the 'new' route was in fact older than the 'old' route.
But possibly a pastoral myth...

notion900

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
>
When I did it there were no British people. Just 12,398,298,526,729,457 Italian Scouts, bless them.

Ingles 2019

Camino(s) past & future
Ingles, 2019
Many congratulations to The Camino Ingles on the increased popularity and rise through the ranks.
I look back on the stage from Betanzos to Meson DO Vento as being the toughest Camino stage I have done, with a full on storm taking pace and driving freezing rain later turning to snow. Bar Julia was closed that day.
What lovely people the Meson Novo owners are too!
My son and I did that stage last spring in pouring rain. He called it the Betanzos Death March. He was not much wrong. Bar Julia was open, which was good, and the Meson Novo was very accommodating.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock