• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Galicia Pilgrim Rail Pass

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024 Camino Portuguese
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may want to visit.

Tourism of Galicia and RENFE offer the opportunity to discover new landscapes, wandering the Galician towns and cities.

The GALICIA RAIL PASS lets you use regional, conventional middle-distance, long distance and Avant trains on the RENFE network in Galicia as often as you like during 3 days. Throughout the year you can do it on weekends (Friday to Sunday), bank and ordinary holidays; and in the summer season (between June 1 and September 30, both inclusive) you can use it any day of the week. This voucher is personal – so you cannot transfer its’ use – and its validity period is 3 days.

The GALICIA RAIL PASS can be bought by all those pilgrims arriving in Santiago to obtain the “Compostela” as well as all tourists arriving in Galicia on a long distance train. It can also be enjoyed by those who purchase a ticket for any of the Tourist Trains of Galicia (more information on www.turismo.gal). With this voucher you can take advantage of discount prices and/or free entrance to the most important museums of the seven main Galician cities. You can purchase your voucher at points of sale at railway stations. This summer board a train, forget the car and enjoy Galicia.

Further information about in www.renfe.es

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may want to visit.

Tourism of Galicia and RENFE offer the opportunity to discover new landscapes, wandering the Galician towns and cities.

The GALICIA RAIL PASS lets you use regional, conventional middle-distance, long distance and Avant trains on the RENFE network in Galicia as often as you like during 3 days. Throughout the year you can do it on weekends (Friday to Sunday), bank and ordinary holidays; and in the summer season (between June 1 and September 30, both inclusive) you can use it any day of the week. This voucher is personal – so you cannot transfer its’ use – and its validity period is 3 days.

The GALICIA RAIL PASS can be bought by all those pilgrims arriving in Santiago to obtain the “Compostela” as well as all tourists arriving in Galicia on a long distance train. It can also be enjoyed by those who purchase a ticket for any of the Tourist Trains of Galicia (more information on www.turismo.gal). With this voucher you can take advantage of discount prices and/or free entrance to the most important museums of the seven main Galician cities. You can purchase your voucher at points of sale at railway stations. This summer board a train, forget the car and enjoy Galicia.

Renfe link does not work but I found these ones.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow, thanks a lot for this tip! Looks like a perfect opportunity for me. I am leaving my car in A Gudiña and walk from there (well, Verín to be precisely) to Santiago. It looks like a normal ticket from Santiago back to A Gudiña is already more expensive than those €25. And I was planning to leave Santiago on a Friday, so perfect timing. Might add a bit of sightseeing now. 😁

Thanks for the post! I looked at the site, am I correct in thinking that this pass could be used to get from Santiago to Madrid after I finish my Camino?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
“para el periodo comprendido entre el 1
de abril de 2022 y el 31 de diciembre de 2022”
Looks like we are late to the party!

Has anyone tried it this year?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thought I would try this when I finish the CF early July. Any comments from those that have use the Galicia Rsil Pass?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Below is copied from the English language version.

You can use the pass during weekends (Friday to Sunday), long weekends and holidays. During the summer season, from 1 June to 30 September (both included), it will be valid during the seven days of the week

It might be helpful to correct the dead link (www.renfe.es) in the first post with the live link to the up to date and comprehensive information about the Galicia Rail Pass 2024 in English, namely at https://www.renfe.com/es/en/travel/prepare-your-trip/abonos-ave-y-largadistancia/galicia-rail-pass. The original poster or a moderator could edit and correct the first post of this thread.

The pass is not only for "travellers arriving at Santiago and obtaining the Compostela certificate" but also for "travellers arriving at Galicia on a Larga Distancia (Long Distance) train with a ticket worth €20 or more".

Below is an overview of the railway net on Galician territory as shown on the Open Railway Map site (click to enlarge). This is where the Galicia Rail Pass 2024 is valid. As explained on the Renfe website, you need to buy the pass AND you must then still obtain a ticket for any of your train trips in Galicia at a railway station.

Rail Galicia.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My only doubt: I would arrive in Santiago (on foot) on a Thursday and will then have to get my Compostela and the Galica pass the same day, so I can travel on Friday. I understand that you would still have to book trains to use the pass (makes sense) and that you can only do that at railway stations. So then I would need the luck that there are still trains available on the next day.

Is that how it works? Is there anyone who already has experience with the Galicia pass?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Has anyone tried this out this year already? I am mostly wondering how difficult it would be to get the last-minute train reservations. And also how it works if you use trains that you can't reserve. Can you then just hop on?

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back