• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Intriguing Story behind the Cross of Santiago in Velazquez's Artwork

Gadflyparexcellence

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in "2016," "2018," "2022."
While recently working on an article on Diego Velazquez I discovered some interesting facts that I wanted to share.

Most of you, if not all, might have seen the Cross of Santiago emblazoned on Velazquez’s tunic in his signature work ‘Las Meninas.’ The story of how it got there is very interesting. One traditional theory is that Philip IV whom Velazquez served during most of his professional career painted the cross of the Knights of Santiago on Velazquez’s costume himself after the painter’s death. According to this theory, it was Philip’s IV’s way of taking revenge against the Order of Santiago who had never accepted Velazquez’s nobility into it even after Philip IV had secured a decree from Pope Alexander VII granting him induction into the Order in 1659, a year before the painter’s passing. But the Order continued to object Velazquez’s induction on the ground that the artist’s family heritage didn’t have any trace of nobility. They harbored a grudge against Velazquez until the end. At Velazquez’s funeral in 1660 in Madrid the only people missing in offering tributes to the painter were members of the Chapters of the Knights of Santiago. This infuriated Philip IV which in turn led to his action.

One recent theory claims that the Cross of Santiago was painted on his costume by Velazquez himself. Following a clean-up of the painting in the early 1980s it was revealed that the brushwork of the cross is uniform with the rest of the surface. From this some critics concluded that only Velazquez could have drawn it.

A third possibility is that painting of the cross may not have been done either by Philip IV or Velazquez, but was done by Velazquez’s pupil and protege Juan de Pareja after the master's death. Philip IV might have commissioned Pareja to do the work. Pareja under the guidance of Velazquez had become an accomplished artist in his own right and had a prominent presence in the Royal Court. The smoothness of the cross in the painting as mentioned above might have been the result of Pareja’s artistic talent. It's also worth remembering that Pareja's artistic skills were most likely a contributing factor in winning royal favor in winning freedom from having a slave designation.

For those interested in getting a full grasp of the breadth of Velazquez’s work, below is my article which includes a picture of ‘Las Meninas’ as well as Velazquez’s famous portrait of Juan de Pareja.

https://medium.com/@tschaudhuri/diego-velázquez-was-more-than-just-about-las-meninas-6733e5386642

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes I meant by Philip IV himself. I was referring to the conventional theory which asserted that the cross was added to Velazquez's image in 'Las Meninas' as a retaliation against the Order of Santiago for their ill treatment and dishonoring of Velazquez.

I know it might sound confusing. It's a complex topic with too many intervening factors. Thanks for questioning.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back