• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The question of money

jdelrio

Hello everyone; I'm looking to get take this Camino in December, on the 10th of 2011. I'm not asking about plain tickets (I live in Florida), I mean on the path itself. I know many hospices will take pilgrims in for the night for free or small donations; I'm sure I'll be having to buy food as well, as I won't just be able to pack everything I'll ever eat for the whole trip.

In dollars or euros, what would you guys say is a good amount to have on you? Obviously I don't want to bring too much, because I don't have much to begin with. I don't want to be short either. I'm asking for a realistic amount I can deal with.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rather than take a lot of money with you it is better to use ATM machines to get cash as you need it. Only the smallest villages do not have them.

Some pilgrim shelters are 'donativo' which means 'dontaion'. None are free (gratis) unless you are truly a mendicant pilgrim.
Others charge between €5 and €15 per night depending on the type of room you choose to sleep in. (They average €6 per night).
In December a lot of the pilgrim hostels will be closed so you might have to pay for a room which, as a single person, could cost between €20 and €40.
Only remote pilgrim shelters offer a pilgrim meal - again for a donation. A few might offer bread and coffee for breakfast, but not many, so you will have to buy food along the way. You can budget about €3 for a breakfast in a cafe-bar, €5 for a bocadillo sandwich and a cup of coffee, and on average, €10 for a pilgrim menu which consists of three course, bread and wine. It is often cheaper to buy from the 'carte' rather than pay for the menu. (Many small cafe-bars will also be closed in December so could be few and far between).
If an albergue has a kitchen, it is cheaper still to buy food from a supermecado and prepare it yourself. Many albergue kitchens have a short supply of cooking utensils though.
In summer months you could budget between €20 and €30 a day but in the winter you might have to allow more for those private rooms.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"Donativo" does mean free if you are broke, so stay in the municipal and parochial albergues that list their charge as donation. Both Mundicamino and Eroski websites do a good job of identifying these places. Do not feel guilty about not donating unless you really could be donating. There are expenses to be paid even in the free places, so help out if you can.

Cook your own food. Kitchens may be short on kitchenware, but pots and pans usually do not get stolen. Having your own utensils will help. The larger cities have chain stores with low prices. If you buy a few days supply of food there, you can save money compared to shopping in the supermercados in the villages. Pasta, cheese, canned meats, and sausage all travel well. Buying perishables in the local market is a good idea. There are markets in town squares on a regular schedule, but the prices are not noticeably low.

Drink water, and not the bottled kind. It is free and clean (from public municipal sources, not animal troughs in the countryside). In order of cost in bars, soft drinks are the most expensive. Beer is next. Coffee is next. Wine is the cheapest. Wine is even cheaper in the markets. A liter box of Eroski red wine is about 90 cents (Euro) (and weighs a kilogram).

Socialize with fellow pilgrims over a meal in the albergue instead of a restaurant. You can share food, wine, costs, and thoughts. Even a 3 Euro breakfast is expensive compared to buying in markets. A baguette for 70 cents will make two breakfasts, a lunch sandwich, and bread at dinner. Most are stale by the second day, so do not buy them in advance (if you want fresh bread).

Thirty Euro per day is an adequate budget if you eat entirely in restaurants/bars. You can feed yourself for 6 Euro per day, plus any albergue charges.

Buen camino!

Thank you for the informative answers.

It might be a bit of a plague on my conscious, but I would try to accept the generosity of a free night at an albergue if they'll have me. The ticket alone is quite a monetary endeavor, and I'm going into this under some harsh spending budgets. I'm not unused to harsh conditions or little sustenance, so some bread, ham and cheese would be more than enough for me on a daily basis. I'm more than happy have some nice, cold water and nothing else. If I can tactically acquire a few MREs from my base between now and then, I'd have some great high calorie meals/snacks with me already.

ATM's are plentiful but you may be charged by your own bank for using them. In England those charges are high and can mount up very quickly. If you lived in England, I would say do not draw out small sums of money because the charge is fixed regardless of the sum withdrawn. Check with your bank on this.

I tend to take largish amounts of cash in a pouch round my neck. It never leaves my sight and it is stuffed down the sleeping bag at night. If I get up to go to the toilet it goes with me. Ditto the shower. Make sure you have money in a bank account that you can get to in an emergency.

I walked Sarria to Santiago in December 2010. The municipal albergues were open; they have to be by law even on Christmas Day, and they cost 5€ per night. I did not try to plead few resources, but it is worth trying if you're Spanish is good enough.

The tourist office in Santiago will tell where is open and how much you will have to pay. The Meiga Backpacker charged me 16€ a night last December. The main pilgrim albergue at Seminor Minor was closed.

I did see a pilgrim sleeping in the bag outside the Cathedral but the weather was exceptionally warm and they were far braver than I would be.

Concern has been expressed elsewhere about the way that some municiapl albergues have had all the pots and pans removed from the kitches because pilgrims didn't clear up or for safety reasons. Take utensils but don't bank on being able to cook.

If you can get by on bread, cheese, ham, yogurts and the like you will not starve and you could get by as Falcoln has said with 6€ a day for food. Milk is cheap and is good for you. If there are pans in the albergue it will help you keep warm.

One thing to add. All the municipal albergues I stayed in Decemeber had their heating on and I was not cold at night.

Please, please make sure you have proper medical and travel insurance. It can be a temptation to skimp this but an accident or an illness could be financially disasterous.

Wish you well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just noticed that this thread was posted in the "Camino Primitivo" section.

Jdelrio, if you are planning to walk the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo, I think you will find that nearly all the albergues are either municipal or private, all of which impose a set charge. The albergue in the Sobrado monastery is donativo, or at least it was when I was there, but its close-to- appalling sanitary conditions illustrate how the donativo system is broke, IMO.

Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having done the il Primitivo twice this year, it was generally 3 or 5 Euros for an albergue, depending on the place. It was 3 all the way until Grandas, then 5 everywhere from Lugo

Well I guess you guys would probably recommend I change all of my money at the Oviedo Airport as soon as I get off my plane then, I figure? I can see why. My plane is meant to drop me off at 1:00 PM, on the 17th of December.

No, do not change money at the airport! That is the worst exchange rate available. Do not bring American money (except a couple of $20's as a emergency backup). Take your ATM card and use the ATM at the airport to withdraw enough euros for a week or so. Then repeat as necessary. You will be charged bank fees about 4 times during your Camino but that's much safer than walking around with a huge wad of cash. Bring a credit card which you can use in a ATM to withdraw cash (make sure you are signed up for this before you go) for emergencies only, ie. if you lose your ATM card or if it gets stolen. Using a credit card costs a lot of $$$ in fees but better to have some way to get money if you have no other option.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My answer isn't very general but I would tell you how much it costed me
I walked through september 2011 (started August 23rd till september 26th) so 33 days till santiago (camino frances)
the total cost including: accomodation in albergues (private/municipal/donativo, depended on where I am and where i found beds) and including food (i got to know some friends and we cooked almost on daily basis, or whenever possible with a kitchen that allowed a pleasant meal) was +/- 1000 euros (daily average of 30 euros)
(This is also including lots of luxury stuff for a pilgrim such as loads of fruits everyday and packs of cookies to take along while walking and daily bottles of wine and lots of coffee and bocadillos "sandwiches")

It is doable on alot less than what I've spent, possibly on a daily average of 20 euros instead of 30

Using the ATM machines is a must but don't forget about ATM fees. Being an American with a mid-sized local bank I was hit with a $5.00 fee every time I used an European ATM.

I just reiterate from a previous post that your bank may have a partnership with European banks so that you will not be charged the extra fees ( which WILL add up over several months). So then you just seek out these banks to withdraw your money, etc.

Global ATM Alliance charges NO additional bank fees for the following banks: Bank of America, Barclays, Deutsche Bank, Scotiabank and Westpac.

If I banked with a bank outside this agreement, I would consider opening an account and transferring some bucks to one of these banks for use on the camino so you wouldn't be hit with these transfer fees... I am not a financial expert, so investigate further. There might be other factors that I don't know about.

lynne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Even from the UK we incurred some charges. However if these are per transaction then you can keep the charge to the minimum by taking out the maximum amount allowed each time. If it is a % then it is difficult. We have 2 debit cards and are having to look at which is best to take next year.

The euro cash card we can load free, using cash, before leaving home and it charges 2 euros for every withdrawal. Maximum withdrawal per day is 250 euros. Using any card to load this in UK incurrs a bank charge. Also it cannot be added to away from home.
If there is a similar card that might help you. We added a few euros to cover the withdrawals. Waiting to see what happens with the euro before we do anything about money at the moment.

I find that MasterCard or VISA or their equivalents can be handier at times than a debit card, although perhaps that's what you all mean when you refer to ATM use. You can pre-pay them before you go and have access to your cash whenever you need it, without worrying about having a great bill waiting for you on your return. Using their affiliated banks means little or no fee to worry about. Both MasterCard and VISA have a great number of affiliated financial institutions. Again, other bank cards will likely have similar arrangements. These two sites will enable you to find affiliated financial institutions anywhere:

http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-ser ... cator.html
http://visa.via.infonow.net/usa_atm/

MasterCard or VISA or their equivalents can be handier at times than a debit card
Most of the caminos are through rural areas where a credit card is not accepted. In the U.S. you can swipe your credit card at McDonalds for a three dollar purchase, but in Spain, I found a credit card was only accepted at hotels and a few merchants, and there is a 3% transaction fee with almost all credit cards. Using a credit card for a cash advance at an ATM may be the most expensive way to get cash. You pay for the loan, a transaction fee, and a transaction charge. An ATM withdrawal from your checking account will incur about a 4E transaction fee at the host bank in Spain, and a 3% transaction charge from your bank. It isn't free, but you get the official exchange rate rather than the buy/sell spread you see at airports. Making the maximum 300E withdrawal minimizes the host ATM fee, but leaves you with a wad of cash to protect. Other topics discuss keeping the cash safe, so go there for more information if you want it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Homer-Dog said:
Using the ATM machines is a must but don't forget about ATM fees. Being an American with a mid-sized local bank I was hit with a $5.00 fee every time I used an European ATM.

That's actually not bad if that was the whole transaction fee. My old Wells Fargo account used to charge me like $3 to use an atm not owned by them. And that's on top of what the other bank charged for using their atm. Usually the whole transaction was about $5.

jeffnd said:
Homer-Dog said:

That's actually not bad if that was the whole transaction fee. My old Wells Fargo account used to charge me like $3 to use an atm not owned by them. And that's on top of what the other bank charged for using their atm. Usually the whole transaction was about $5.

Credit Union baby! I have no international transaction fees, great exchange rates and they never charge me to use an ATM so I just have to pay what the local ATM charges. I've lived overseas in multiple countries for years at a time and never paid an extra dime. Also, sometimes you can get a cash advance at a bank using an ATM card (with the visa or master card logo) with no fees but it may not be worth it to spend the extra time.

Vagabondette, which credit union do you use, I'm not sure that mine is that generous.

Thanks..,

Dave

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use a Capital One credit card because it charges no foreign transaction fee. I use a Schwab debit card for cash, becuse it charges no ATM fees.

Money is a strange thing ... if you have too much of it you can end up with an isolated life where you buy products - such as restaurant meals - rather than make relationships - whether on the Camino or at home. It can separate one from the world.

Lack of money (I'm not talking about zero) can be an enabling thing, and empowering way to live. You buy cheap foods and cook for yourself, then find that you are part of a lifestyle, an inner Camino within the Camino - and this is where sharing begins, when you notice that someone has less food than you and you offer some of yours, or a number of you put your resources together to produce a community meal - an unforgettable experience.
And where sharing begins is where one finds oneself open to all sorts of events and 'coincidences' that a wealthier lifestyle excludes one from. If you walk poor you notice the poor, and you are not afraid of them. You cannot hoard wealth and express love at the same time, it doesn't work like that.

Mind you, walking poor and being selfish - by taking and giving nothing - is just as bad ... I would say walk the Camino poor and with an open and generous heart.

Buen Camino :wink:

Dave2013 said:
Vagabondette, which credit union do you use, I'm not sure that mine is that generous.

Thanks..,

Dave

Arizona Federal. They're great. The first time I moved overseas I had a small problem with my account and I had to call them (before the days of VOIP). When they went to put me on hold I asked them to be quick because I was calling from Switzerland and it was expensive. It took about 5 minutes to fix and the next day I had a $20 credit for phone charge reimbursement in my account. That was the last problem I had with them and that was in 2001.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
First of all, thank you to everyone here that has added their expertise. I will be walking the Camino Frances this April/May. I have checked with my bank and my debit card *should* work in ATMs. My question is this: do people have backup plans for getting cash should a debit card not work - whether due to the card itself, a bank issue or even this whole Windows XP stuff that's in the news? Is it possible to get cash from inside the bank? From the teller? Are there other possible resources for cash besides ATMs?

Thanks. I await your collective wisdom...

Is it possible to get cash from inside the bank? From the teller?
Pretty much, no. They may be able to correct problems with the ATM when they are open, but they will not give cash on a debit card or check.

Hi, jen!

I use a AAA Travel Card (VISA). It worked just fine all over France and Spain, never had a problem.

It is a pre-loaded card, which you "fill" by purchasing with cash or loading from your main bank debit card at your local AAA office. Transaction fee for origination and per transaction is small.

What I particularly like, a side from easy transactions, is that I can:

- maintain security over my main bank account debit/credit cards. (One's credit card is protected from fraud, the debit card not so much - no matter what the marketing department says.)
- track expenditure history, if necessary, from a separate website not connected with my main bank account - - again a security issue.

The only card I take besides this is my bank credit card (only for emergencies), the debit card stays home. The credit card is generally useless on the Camino except in larger cities.

Hope that helps!

B

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
First of all, thank you to everyone here that has added their expertise. I will be walking the Camino Frances this April/May. I have checked with my bank and my debit card *should* work in ATMs. My question is this: do people have backup plans for getting cash should a debit card not work - whether due to the card itself, a bank issue or even this whole Windows XP stuff that's in the news? Is it possible to get cash from inside the bank? From the teller? Are there other possible resources for cash besides ATMs?

Make sure you have a fresh ATM card with a four digit PIN and be careful of the ATM's with the reverse calculator keypad numbers.
I didn't have any problems with my Mastercard debit card.
If you want a backup, get a "Chip and PIN" travel debit card, I didn't need one.

My question is this: do people have backup plans for getting cash should a debit card not work .

The usual advice is a second card from a different bank. Sooner or later a card will get eaten by a machine or your bank will lock it for some reason. Or maybe your bank will be having network issues. A second card lets you over come.

Also avoid using the machine after hours. Or worse evening before the weekend or holidays. Worse case would be having to wait until Monday for the bank to open.

Last year mid-way through France my credit card was stopped because some scammer had copied the details along the way and had fraudulently used them to spend 1,000 euro at harrods.com. It happens. My issuer would not send a replacement out to me except to my home address in London. Western Union cash transfers saved me. Fortunately I happened to know all my debit card details by heart (due to a lot of online booking ahead of my trip!) and was even able send my own money to myself, after persuading the officials I wasn't money laundering. It's a very expensive way of getting cash, but as a last resort it certainly helps. This time I'll be bringing good old-fashioned travellers' cheques, so that if all else fails I can go to a big town and cash them in the bank

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
. This time I'll be bringing good old-fashioned travellers' cheques, so that if all else fails I can go to a big town and cash them in the bank

You might want to check if the bank will cash them before you buy them.

Agree with NicoZ about the travelers checks. I can't even deposit a travelers check in my account at my local bank at home in the US, and local grocery stores no longer accept them. Thought they were pretty much over, most places. Make sure you'll be able to use them.

This time I'll be bringing good old-fashioned travellers' cheques, so that if all else fails I can go to a big town and cash them in the bank
I tried to cash travelers cheques at a half-dozen banks without success. They are not useful, in my experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You might want to check if the bank will cash them before you buy them.
Most banks and post offices used to, though I admit it's years since I tried and things may have changed since then. Perhaps it would be worth checking out which card issuers still Fedex new cards out to travellers...

I have long thought that when a pilgrim was not donating cash at an albergue, they should cheerfully donate time and energy. Pick up a mop! Ask if there is something which they can do! Always be the last one on a cleaning team to finish.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah, just seen the new posts regarding travellers' cheques. What a pity. They were great!

I have long thought that when a pilgrim was not donating cash at an albergue, they should cheerfully donate time and energy. Pick up a mop! Ask if there is something which they can do! Always be the last one on a cleaning team to finish.
I've long thought a pilgrim should do these things even when donating money! It all helps

Hi, jen!

I use a AAA Travel Card (VISA). It worked just fine all over France and Spain, never had a problem.

It is a pre-loaded card, which you "fill" by purchasing with cash or loading from your main bank debit card at your local AAA office. Transaction fee for origination and per transaction is small.

What I particularly like, a side from easy transactions, is that I can:

- maintain security over my main bank account debit/credit cards. (One's credit card is protected from fraud, the debit card not so much - no matter what the marketing department says.)
- track expenditure history, if necessary, from a separate website not connected with my main bank account - - again a security issue.

The only card I take besides this is my bank credit card (only for emergencies), the debit card stays home. The credit card is generally useless on the Camino except in larger cities.

Hope that helps!

B
Thank you so much for this info...never considered AAA...any info of atm fees?

Kris

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kris -

AAA...any info of atm fees?

I seem to remember paying $ 3 USD per transaction at a maximum. Considering that I usually took 110 euro every 3-4 days, it worked out to about 2.5% transaction "slippage".

Though not fond of the added expense, the added security (isolation of my main bank account) was worth it to me.

B

Hi, you may want to look into setting up a checking account with Schwab bank; it's an online bank that was recommended many times on another thread on this forum. It takes about three weeks to set up to the point that allows you to wire money from your regular account at another bank right into your schwab checking. Oh, you also open up a brokerage account but you don't have to fund it (we didn't and don't plan to).

The great thing is ATM fees are refunded at the end of every month. This along with the fact that it is not 'tied' to my regular bank and accounts is a huge weight off my shoulders.

You can call 24. Hrs and actually speak to someone. This morning I just wired what we will need on the Camino as it will take a few days before my bank sends, they receive and I can withdraw. God Willing we leave next Thursday so by then, we could withdraw more if we need to but we are taking enough with us to last a week or so. Hope you find something you are comfortable with.
Blessings and buen camino!

Hello - no wisdom from me, just a suggestion - the thing is, a pilgrim is 'out there', away from all backups, probably thousands of miles away from home .. one is surrounded by people yet one is also alone. If the cash machine you were banking on in the next small town is broken, and it is a Sunday, then unless you are lucky you will go to bed hungry .... so it is worth keeping some cash with you, hidden away ... accidents happen, we lose things .. if you lose - for whatever reason - your wallet with the card in it you will be quite stuck - unless you have some hidden emergency money ... so carry that. 100 Euros will keep you going for days and days and days if you live small (you will have more fun, more connection, if you live small) - so stash some Euros where no one can find it - put it into a grip-seal bag and sew it into your bag/shirt/shorts .. then if all goes pear-shaped you will have ready currency that will allow you to carry on and also sort out those problems.
If you have your card and passport you can go into a bank and get cash (if you have the right bank account!!!).
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank yous to everyone who added their thoughts and input. I am working to cultivate a "trust the process", "trust life" sort of mindset (not rushing ahead to get a bed, that sort of thing). I'm trying to prepare myself with information more than anything. Sometimes a resolution to an issue can be so simple, but in my ignorance I totally overlook it. Thank you again everyone!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.