• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The sounds you hear before someone answers

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
This may be a silly question, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. The telecommunications industry has done a great job in standardizing how their systems connect on a technical level, allowing us to seamlessly call anywhere in the world using a number of different infrastructures built and owned by different companies. But one area they seem to have missed in their standardization is that last connection, where they are connecting to human ear.

I call the number and then I hear a noise. At home, I know exactly what that noise means. Whether it is indicating that the phone is ringing but no one has answered yet (ring, pause, ring, pause, etc.) or whether it indicates that the line is busy and I should hang up and try again later (beep, pause, beep, pause, etc.), or whether it indicates that there is something wrong with the connection and I should redial and try again right away (rapid series of beeps).

But I have noticed in other countries that they don't use the same sounds. That means when I call someone, I don't know if I am hearing a ring tone or a busy signal or if there is something wrong with the connection and I don't know if I should wait or hang up.

Does anyone know the sounds they use in Spain to distinguish these things?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok, well, this may be a silly answer and definitely not helpful, but it is a rainy day and we can all use a laugh (though not intended or directed to be at your or anyone's expense);

.. -- .- --. .. -. . / .-- .... .- - / .. - / .-- .- ... / .-.. .. -.- . / .-- .... . -. / ... -- --- -.- . / ... .. --. -. .- .-.. ... / .-- . .-. . / - .... . / --- -. .-.. -.-- / .-- .- -.-- / - --- / -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - . ..--..

Copy / Paste here to translate;

https://morsecode.scphillips.com/translator.html

:cool:

Those noises you hear.... they're just the agencies switching on their recording machines. Nothing to worry about.

As I recall the 'ringing' tone in Spain is an elongated 'morse code' dash and the engaged tone a dot. The 'you've forgotten to add the international dialling code so that your call can be routed via that box outside your house..' is a continuous 'booooooo'. But this is all in my sparse recall: it might have been Sweden.

The easy solution is to 'phone someone and ask ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.