• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The ticking clock

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
I notice that a lot of people who post here talk about not putting the Camino off. The underlying theme being death, the relentless march of time. I honestly love that. My wife passed from cancer in 2021. We didn’t know she had it till it was very advanced. From diagnosis to death was one month.

Her parents always dreamed of taking a big road trip and going “out west” (USA). At one time they had the time, health and money, but never just got in the car and went. So that proverbial ship sailed.

My first wife had poor health so, we traveled when we could. We even went overseas a few times. Older people, mostly widows, would say that they always had big plans to do things, but their spouse died and now they were going alone.

Life is far less secure than the narrative in our heads. We imagine our future and think that time is plentiful. I assure you it probably isn’t for you or me. In fact, one of my grandfathers last words was about how quickly his life had flown by. Even if we live to be old and manage to stay healthy it goes by fast.

The Camino is like a sort of reminder for me that we live while there’s time and time is short. Work on making your life happier and also for the suffering people around you, whatever that means. I’m kinda done with the idea of vacations. Every trip for me is more about exploring and getting connected.

My new wife is very much a soul mate in this journey now. I’m very lucky. And we remind each other to stay joyful, even in the troubles that come from being human.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@falconbrother , thank you for sharing. Enjoy this new phase in your life.!

I hear you. My situation is very similar to yours. My wife died in 2022. She went into hospital for tests, a month later she was dead (leukaemia).
We had fortunately travelled a bit too - we actually met whilst we were both travelling home to our individual lands. We were blessed with 21 years together, and a wonderful son.
I only found the Camino after she had gone. Sadly it transpires that she knew about it and had actually wanted to walk it eventually. Now, whilst she walks with me in my heart, I would much rather she was physically beside me.

C'est la Vie.

I'm no soldier, just a civilian and a pretty 'normal' one at that. ( Well that's what I tell myself anyway!). Nonetheless, as I've posted in one of the other threads that you allude to above, I've seen far too many good people die far too young.

I have yet to start looking for a new partner, but she will come in time. If I'm extremely lucky she will share my (new found) love of Camino, if not, then at least appreciate that there are times that I just have to go and walk.

I've lived a good life to date, and I hope to live longer yet. But as I often say - who knows when that bus is going to come around the corner with your number on it?

Carpe diem.

After watching my parents seriously decline in health in the past couple of years and become unable to do what they enjoy (I have two sets--Mom/stepdad, Dad/stepmom), Phil and I have decided we're going all out the next couple of years as he's 12 years older than I am.

I'm retiring in May and we're spending the first summer driving and camping our way to Alaska (and around the state) and back. Fall and Christmas will be with family and then a winter Camino in early 2025. After that we think we want to volunteer in National Parks, National Forests, and of course walk and volunteer on the Camino. It will all mostly be done on a frugal budget, but with investment and spending on lived experiences. We are moving our home base to a house owned by our family and shared with my brother. He and I like to be there at different times of the year so I will make sure it all works out to everyone's satisfaction.

Do it while you are able and with who you want to while they are able. Blessings and prayers to those of you who've lost a loved one before it was time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After watching my parents seriously decline in health in the past couple of years and become unable to do what they enjoy (I have two sets--Mom/stepdad, Dad/stepmom), Phil and I have decided we're going all out the next couple of years as he's 12 years older than I am.

I'm retiring in May and we're spending the first summer driving and camping our way to Alaska (and around the state) and back. Fall and Christmas will be with family and then a winter Camino in early 2025. After that we think we want to volunteer in National Parks, National Forests, and of course walk and volunteer on the Camino. It will all mostly be done on a frugal budget, but with investment and spending on lived experiences. We are moving our home base to a house owned by our family and shared with my brother. He and I like to be there at different times of the year so I will make sure it all works out to everyone's satisfaction.

Do it while you are able and with who you want to while they are able. Blessings and prayers to those of you who've lost a loved one before it was time.
My wife and I have also talked about volunteering in the federal park system. We met a guy last winter who was a volunteer, or low paid employee, at the Cape Hatteras Light House. We are both retired and working part time. In a very short period of time a lot of our responsibilities will have gone away.

I don't want to be those people who have perfectly doable dreams and never go after them.

I think as we get older, we naturally start to realise that our remaining time on earth is much shorter than the life already lived! And it's not just age, but health can take a downturn very easily of course.

Having found the Camino at age 57 (now 66) I realise that if I want to walk more Caminos, it's better to do them sooner rather than later. Sure I might still be walking at 80. But I might not.

Pat and I also got ourselves a small Campervan last year so we can start travelling locally more. And we are thinking of selling up our home and moving an hour out of the City to have a few years of living in a more country setting. Practically, we would move back to the city as health declines.

It would be nice to retire, but circumstances don't allow that. So it's a question of trying to balance things a bit.

Maybe the Camino helps us to appreciate what we have, and to use our remaining time doing things that fulfil us more?

Afterthought. I wonder if younger generations take a different approach? I think so. Our adult kids all seem to have travelled more than we have! (and we've travelled a lot) They've nailed the work/life balance thing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
falconbrother, I am sorry for your loss, of course, but we, all of us, are a 'once in history' first world phenomenon ... we have the true luxury of being able to be going on Camino to process something, wondering about death and what to do before that comes for us - but! the truth is that over 85% of the humans on this planet don't have the luxury to even think like that, the way we do, their lives are hard, hand to mouth - we are so lucky, so blessed - let us not forget this .. where and when we chose, or was decided for us, where and when to be re-born ....

I tend to think of the death of my peers as someone moving up a step on that ladder, over the top and gone, and I? I move one rung up ... this is how it is, with each death we move one rung higher...

Last edited:
I think as we get older, we naturally start to realise that our remaining time on earth is much shorter than the life already lived! And it's not just age, but health can take a downturn very easily of course.

Having found the Camino at age 57 (now 66) I realise that if I want to walk more Caminos, it's better to do them sooner rather than later. Sure I might still be walking at 80. But I might not.

Pat and I also got ourselves a small Campervan last year so we can start travelling locally more. And we are thinking of selling up our home and moving an hour out of the City to have a few years of living in a more country setting. Practically, we would move back to the city as health declines.

It would be nice to retire, but circumstances don't allow that. So it's a question of trying to balance things a bit.

Maybe the Camino helps us to appreciate what we have, and to use our remaining time doing things that fulfil us more?

Afterthought. I wonder if younger generations take a different approach? I think so. Our adult kids all seem to have travelled more than we have! (and we've travelled a lot) They've nailed the work/life balance thing.
There is the FIRES movement. Financial Independence Retire Early. That ship has sailed for me but thanks to Phil's military retirement and benefits, I can retire at 62 without worrying about health coverage. We'll do everything we can until we can't at this point.

There is the FIRES movement. Financial Independence Retire Early. That ship has sailed for me but thanks to Phil's military retirement and benefits, I can retire at 62 without worrying about health coverage. We'll do everything we can until we can't at this point.
Yep, that ship sailed for us. (Due to a complicated set of circumstances)
Caminos will just become increasingly 'budget' level when I finally have to stop working. ;)
But as long as I can do them..........I'm happy. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My father was always an active person, running, cycling, boating, kayaking, motorcycling.
He was always obsessed with one activity or other most of his life until more recently. He was a very successful farmer, an environmental activist, and interested in all sorts of topics. He always dreamed of visiting Europe.
However my mother had mental and physical health issues, and caring for her took more and more of his life and energy.
When she died at 76, we thought he might finally realise his dreams and travel to Europe. But it seemed that ship had sailed, as after a few years of grieving, which took him into his 80's, he no longer had the drive to travel.
It made me look at my own life. I promptly booked a Camino, other courses I was interested in, and made sure I did the things I wanted to do. Changed jobs to give me the time to go, and moved house as I no longer wanted to live in a city.
When you are younger you focus on money, but as you get older you realise how important time and health are.
Of course its always easier with money, but health and time are showstoppers.

I'm still (somewhat) a young guy, but I feel the ticking of the clock already. I lost my Dad to cancer - he was only 54 - it was a short time between diagnosis and death. A grief I still struggle with.

A close friend was early 20s when cancer took her. Death can be around the corner for any person.
(I see a lot of blasé young people giving themselves the same skin cancers that are currently killing the previous generations).

For us privileged folk able to travel (and do the other things!) - be kind, follow your dreams and carpe diem!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pat and I were just discussing this. And she came up with an idea.
When I stop working we move to Spain for 2 years and rent a small house / apartment somewhere and use that as a base to walk lots of Caminos. Hmmmm. That got me interested. :rolleyes:
We would love to move to Spain, but as my parents are still living (albeit not with good quality of life), I feel the Spanish visa requirements are too restrictive. Also the older we get and the more ailments we have, the less likely we'd be granted a visa. Once you make that initial move, I have been told you can't leave to go home to visit for a certain amount of time or it invalidates your visa. That would mean I couldn't go back if needed for a family emergency, death, or just to visit for a specified time.

Spain like the US has its fair share of political turmoil so not sure if we would be escaping that or just jumping into some new issues.

It's a nice dream, but I think we're just destined to visit for Camino walking, volunteering, and/or going to Spanish school for shorter lengths of time instead.

I was 28 when I walked my first Camino. I rediscovered my diary of that walk very recently. I thought I had lost it years ago! Now at well over twice that age my knees are beginning to fail me: osteoarthritis - irreversible and progressive. I think that even with knee replacement surgery at some point on the horizon I will probably have to give up long distance walking in a few years time. That thought is driving me to lose weight and take more regular exercise now as ways to postpone the inevitable for just a little longer. Having very few home commitments, a small but adequate income, and cheap ready access to the Caminos from the UK are blessings for which I am very grateful and which I fully intend to make use of for as long as possible.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To me it's a paradox. I benefit immensely making myself get out of my comfort zone. But the more I live outside my comfort zone the harder it gets to live in my comfort zone. But I think it fits with my feelings that life is and should be filled with contradiction

I agree so much with this thread. I work in Palliaitve Care and see this sadness from a not complete life every day of delayed dreams never realized... and am also a cancer survivor so far ( Camino del Norte was my first REAL gratitide walk for my so far surviving) - and others around me continue to be surprised when my favorite life motto is " What are you waiting for?" Life is here to be lived right now in this physical form, then it is transformed to something else...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This was a wonderful, thought provoking thread. Thank you to all who contributed. I reached the conclusion when I completed my very first Camino in 2013, on my 60th birthday, I was celebrating the first half of my life - being optimistic.

Since then and for most of the past decade, I have devoted time to doing as many Caminos and stints as a Pilgrim Office volunteer as I can. This past year, my wife's life-changing, serious illness curtailed those thoughts, in favor of being a 24 x 7 caregiver. As yet, it is unknown if this travel restriction will last through all of 2024. But, it is what it is.

But, medical science is great. My wife is looking forward to reconstructive surgery this Spring. She will recover - mostly.

So, in the spirit of making lemonade when life gives me lemons, I plan to bring my wife with me to Spain when I want to volunteer. Sure, it will be more expensive. But having my wife with me as I devote time to my "passion activity" is priceless.

We are also compiling a list of domestic (US / Canada) trips we want to take to see places, things and people we have overlooked in the four decades of professional and personal travel all over the world.

My wife has never expressed an interest in walking any Camino, no matter how short. But, she supports my keen interest in doing so.

Despite all the challenges, I keep reminding myself that I am a pilgrim. A pilgrim does not shirk from challenges. Our shared, Camino experience teaches us to pause, assess the challenge, develop an action plan, and then work through the plan to overcome the challenge. I have done this many times both while on Camino, and in regular life. This is one of the myriad ways the Camino has affected my life.

In that spirit, I also returned to the faith of my youth. Doing this over the past decade or more, has increased my faith, brought me calm, and ascertained me that I have nothing to fear. Death is simply the price we pay for our life, and admission to everlasting life. It is NEVER convenient.

This past year, I lost my mother, my cat, and nearly lost my wife of 45 years on two occasions. But, my faith remains strong. I can view these "bad" things in a greater context. This gives me strength to carry on. I know I have a purpose in life. My daily challenge is how to pursue it.

Carpe Diem!

Tom

Last edited:
8 weeks before my father, 96 years of age a war hero with the Legion D'Honnuer from the French government past away, some 2 years ago. I visited him in a nursing home where he really didn’t want to be.

On arrival I sat next to his bed believing him to be asleep facing away from me, a quiet unassuming man, who was my friend and hero suddenly seemed to whimper. “Where’s the bloody point?”

“Come on Dad, don’t be like that.” I said.

“No you listen to me! Share portfolios, money in the bank, big houses in the country, its all worth nothing, bugger all!” The only woman I ever loved was taken away from me 30 years ago (Mum passed way with a rare cancer). And, a part from you, Janine and the children taking me on holiday, all I’ve done is sat in that bloody house staring at 4 walls!

“Hey Dad please…..”

“No listen, promise me when I’m dead and gone, you take what little money there is and go and make yourself some memories while you can, cause when your lying here waiting to die, well the only thing worth anything are the memories you've made, not money, memories!”

Everyday I remember those words, and hopefully I'm doing what he asked. Love you Dad.x

I will be there in April, so go do it, make those memories! Buen Camino.

€149,-
Each Day a Life
by
Robert Service​
I count each day a little life,
With birth and death complete;
I cloister it from care and strife
And keep it sane and sweet.
With eager eyes I greet the morn,
Exultant as a boy,
Knowing that I am newly born
To wonder and to joy.
And when the sunset splendours wane
And ripe for rest am I,
Knowing that I will live again,
Exultantly I die.
O that all Life were but a Day
Sunny and sweet and sane!
And that at Even I might say:
"I sleep to wake again."

I walked the Frances in May/June 2012 and met an Australian woman in Logrono who had walked out of St. Jean with a widower from North Carolina USA. He and his wife had always wanted to walk the Camino, but she passed away before they could. He set out to walk in her honor. Shortly after passing into Spain on the first day, he had a massive heart attack and died. My friend was at his side and related that he went quite peacefully. Later on the same Camino, a member of our informal walking group who had shared he was walking to process a painful divorce died in his sleep at the municipal in Burgos. We all have reasons to walk; may we all find the opportunity to do so. We truly know not the hour or the day. Carpe diem.

To me it's a paradox. I benefit immensely making myself get out of my comfort zone. But the more I live outside my comfort zone the harder it gets to live in my comfort zone. But I think it fits with my feelings that life is and should be filled with contradiction
When you step out of your comfort zone, you run the danger of shifting its location.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tomorrow is promised to no one. It is for that reason I decided two years ago, at age 69, to fulfill my dream of walking the Camino. I will be forever grateful I made that decision, and for the experience of a lifetime. Whether it's the Camino or any other bucket list item, don't put it off. Carpe diem. Buen Camino.

I walked my first Camino Frances in 2018 at age 66. I set off for my 5th in April this year. Would have liked to have started sooner, but I am grateful that I found out about the Camino at all. Best thing I have done lately to ‘stay young’ - see att photo, should have done this earlier too!!!😄

Attachments

• IMG_3410.jpeg
    IMG_3410.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 43
Would have liked to have started sooner, but I am grateful that I found out about the Camino at all. Best thing I have done lately to ‘stay young’
I also envy those who found ‘Spain/Portugal/France and their pilgrimage ways) at an earlier age.

Sometimes people who ‘retire from work’ label themselves as too old to walk a camino. The caminos to Santiago, have been the best medicine I’ve found to stay healthy of body, mind and spirit in the last 11 years.

It also makes (at least me).. realise that whether I’m at home or visiting my son in USA …. I’m going to help out as much as possible. Don’t give up !! The more you do…. the more you can fit in.

Ps… I also realise some people have physical handicaps that preclude them from getting there still- but they still enjoy the virtual walking, via reading this forums live threads ., contributing their years of experience and much more. ❤️🤗🤗🤗

But truly … keep smiling .. & carpe diem.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked my first Camino Frances in 2018 at age 66. I set off for my 5th in April this year. Would have liked to have started sooner, but I am grateful that I found out about the Camino at all. Best thing I have done lately to ‘stay young’ - see att photo, should have done this earlier too!!!😄
Yes, I hear the ticking of the clock. But it's OK: I have had my time: Now I am only soaking up the leftovers.

I walked my first Camino in 2008 at the age of 55. It was a revolutionary experience, for the better. My woman says so, and I don't dare to argue. I'll walk again this year just after 70, and will also work as a hospitalero, God and IFCS willing :)

I started walking too late.

Had I started at a younger age, my life could have taken a completely different direction, in a humanistic way. The Camino provides (if you let it) a completely new perspecive on life.

Yes the clock is ticking. Here is a salute for the young members of this forum: I wish more people would walk the Camino at young age: I am sure that it could change their future, for the better.

Last edited:
Here is a salute for the young members of this forum: I wish more people would walk the Camino at young age: I am sure that it could change their future, for the better.
The average age of pilgrims now feels much higher than it used to be. I've seen statistics from Roncesvalles in 1987 where about half of those recorded were 25 or under and "students" were by far the largest occupation. July and August were the busiest season - school and university vacations. Felt much the same when I walked three years later. Very different from today. We are by and large far richer in years these days... :cool:

We are by and large far richer in years these days
Or is it just the pure economics? The Camino might have been more “interesting” in those days, it was also a lot less expensive. In my teens and twenties Spain was accessible at little cost other than cheek at Dover and my poor overexercised thumb. Once I got there I could live in far more comfort than I could find in England at what I could afford. Give me a flea ridden Fonda over any Spike or “common lodging” in England at that time.

For the current youth. My experience is that they’ll fly to Thailand, Florida or Agadir and they’ll save Camino till they’re retired and financially comfortable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Or is it just the pure economics? The Camino might have been more “interesting” in those days, it was also a lot less expensive. In my teens and twenties Spain was accessible at little cost other than cheek at Dover and my poor overexercised thumb. Once I got there I could live in far more comfort than I could find in England at what I could afford. Give me a flea ridden Fonda over any Spike or “common lodging” in England at that time.

For the current youth. My experience is that they’ll fly to Thailand, Florida or Agadir and they’ll save Camino till they’re retired and financially comfortable.
I have high hopes for, and belief in, our young inhabitants of this world. I do not think they are much different than us oldtimers: But we oldtimers have only created wars and threats of wars: Nothing to be proud of.

The Young ones want a foothold, And the Camino provides (surprisingly often) that, as we oldtimers know very well. Just get going on a Camino. For those who do nsot get it, so be it. Their loss. I salute the young onw The world can't possibly be worse than now. Fix it.

Last edited:
Or is it just the pure economics? The Camino might have been more “interesting” in those days, it was also a lot less expensive.
I think there are several factors at play. Money is one. But perhaps the biggest is that it used to be a much more demanding challenge. No luggage transport. Very little private accommodation - in some places you slept in refugios or outdoors no matter your budget. Some refugios only offered bare floors to sleep on. As late as 1990 pilgrims slept on straw on the beaten earth floor of a palloza in O Cebreiro and the toilets for the Samos refugio were a clump of trees opposite the monastery. I assume the monks had their own more private arrangements! There were a few sections with stages over 30km between accommodation or even food supplies. No refugio or private rooms between Astorga and Molinaseca for example. To walk the 800km you needed a higher level of fitness and greater willingness to accept very basic conditions than is the norm today. I think that younger people were more ready to do that than the older generations.

To me it's a paradox. I benefit immensely making myself get out of my comfort zone. But the more I live outside my comfort zone the harder it gets to live in my comfort zone.

I have traveled to Zimbabwe 11 times in the last 4 years to volunteer at, and financially support, the Rose of Charity orphanage in Victoria Falls. The children at the orphanage, and the people of Zimbabwe for that matter, are some of the happiest people you will ever meet in your life.

When I ask them why they are so happy, they usually respond with some version of this:

"I had somewhere to sleep last night, I had something to eat today, I have someone to love, and someone who loves me."

Then they usually follow up with, "desiring anything else would only lead to suffering."

Then I come back to the United States and have to listen to some fourteen-year-old yelling at their mother because they want the new version of the iPhone so they can be cool like their friends.

I am really beginning to have trouble living in my comfort zone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think there are several factors at play. Money is one. But perhaps the biggest is that it used to be a much more demanding challenge. No luggage transport. Very little private accommodation - in some places you slept in refugios or outdoors no matter your budget. Some refugios only offered bare floors to sleep on. As late as 1990 pilgrims slept on straw on the beaten earth floor of a palloza in O Cebreiro and the toilets for the Samos refugio were a clump of trees opposite the monastery. I assume the monks had their own more private arrangements! There were a few sections with stages over 30km between accommodation or even food supplies. No refugio or private rooms between Astorga and Molinaseca for example. To walk the 800km you needed a higher level of fitness and greater willingness to accept very basic conditions than is the norm today. I think that younger people were more ready to do that than the older generations.
Agree with many of the points. I think younger folks (far better behaved than those of previous times in my view!!!), have broader horizons, and are able to activate those horizons. Internet awareness, more money, etc.

South East Asia, South Asia, South and Central America are full of young travellers (and plenty of older ones!) from UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain. Every other accent you hear in Rome in the summer is a USA or Canadian one, many young folks on railpasses.

I did my Caminos in Covid times and it was mainly younger Europeans and there were largely doing it as going further afield was not possible.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing. The learning (both internally and externally) from visiting vastly different cultures should be far greater than visiting a developed Western European country for Europeans, North Americans, Australians and New Zealanders.

Camino to me suits an older generation now (great infrastructure, well serviced), though I think the demographic on this forum is probably a bit older than the actual walkers on the Camino? Nice to do it at a younger age though!

With the climate crisis many younger Europeans are considering whether to fly long distances (or even fly) at all. Spoken to many who are looking for things too do that are more ‘ecofriendly’. Mentioned the Camino and their seems to be an interest where there otherwise may not have been.

Be great to do a Camino youngish though so you can decide whether you want to incorporate it into your future life!

Last edited:
There's a quote I like from the end of the film Jojo Rabit. It's from a poem by Rainer Maria Rilke
Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going
No feeling is final

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had incurable wanderlust
So i decided between worlds
Easy decision..see the world at the peak, when I would shine my best and brightest
So off down the road I went.

I got to see around the rivers bend
Went over many hills..just to see there were more hills behind

Missed my parents growing old
Missed out most of my adult life to work 90 hr weeks..lol..still work 90 hr weeks.

Now, closer to 60 than 50...broken down and in pain 24/7
But...

What adventures I had in the full bloom of youth. To be sure there are regrets...what life lived hasnt any?

Two completions....birth and death
And all the rest is halve truths and regret
Or is it

Living life burning both ends and a lot of the middle and how much is left leaves questions.

Ill never regret traveling
Ill never regret fortunes made and lost
But...travel has left a wild amd indelable mark that will forever separate me from my close ones...they never have braved wild winds, sting of rain and the burning colds
And they shun the wild and uncertain for that caged security

My clock is winding down
The poetry..almost out of grasp for reasons
Reaching for words like a person in a dark room..grown unfamiliar.. reaching for things in the dark.lol!!!..my beloved friends know to fill in the words when I struggle and I love them for that.
Where I have been will never exceed where I should have gone, there is simply not enough time.
That trade off of traveling then was worth it as I look into a darkening horizon

Ohh, there is nothing to be afraid of
Every day is becoming more precious and that is an immersurable gift

One day to face my sins and find what price is to be payed
To look at ones mortality and submit

To have traveled and been among all the peerage of fellow and ladys of the road
Rougues really..you rascals and rapscallions who laugh at the wind biting fingers and cheeks
Eat..gluttons all..of the life outside..not vicarious..not vicarious but the stuff, the inner marrow of the bones of time
To chew...and be seen with bloody mouthfulls of life
You scare people in your wild abandon and words of freefolk
You Men and ladies of the roads..royalty and remorse..the turmoil inside
Your lives..SHOUT!!!!and shine and rust and cries
You have shouted out into the face of the world
I am here!

To the road you did rise
And you did grasp that prize

In the small words..I would know you
We would know by secret marks and signs
In passing by the look in eyes
The dusty boots
Ode to wrinkled skin round your eyes

We would know each other in this world
Or the next
Betwixt the worlds in the quiet time of a soul at rest

All roads go somewhere
No road goes nowhere

Now..Off you go!

Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going
No feeling is final
This is one of my favourites.
And it so fits the Camino.

Life is far less secure than the narrative in our heads.
We're on the slippery slope from the moment we're born. The pursuit of stuff (and of the comfortable at all costs) takes so much of this life's energy - and we willingly sacrifice all that energy until we realize that truly the next breath could be our last.

We actually get energy when we walk the camino simply and on trust, carrying what we need and not knowing where we'll end up at night. Not trying to control it all creates space to let things unfold as they will - happy that we can just make it through the day, grateful for small blessings, and much more at ease with the uncertainty of it all. I think that's partly why the Camino is so addictive. It's hard to access that simplicity and ease when life gets more complicated than walk wash eat sleep repeat.

€149,-
"Saving up your money for a rainy day
Givin' all your clothes to charity
Last night the wife said, "Oh boy, when you're dead
You don't take nothing with you but your soul
Think"

Which, of course, in a way morphed into another great quip:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

...about 60 when 1st heard of Camino, 62 when walked Frances, turned 63 on the way to Finisterre (my wife accompanied me on that trek)...
...we are fully committed to TMB this year couple of days after I turn 65 and celebrating her 58th while at it; then I plan to do a Frances Redux in 2026 with some friends and then Norte with my wife in '27...which will make me 68 by that time (yeah, let's hope the legs will still be strong and the knees won't creak)

CARPE DIEM indeed and Buen Camino for life

I notice that a lot of people who post here talk about not putting the Camino off. The underlying theme being death, the relentless march of time. I honestly love that. My wife passed from cancer in 2021. We didn’t know she had it till it was very advanced. From diagnosis to death was one month.

Her parents always dreamed of taking a big road trip and going “out west” (USA). At one time they had the time, health and money, but never just got in the car and went. So that proverbial ship sailed.

My first wife had poor health so, we traveled when we could. We even went overseas a few times. Older people, mostly widows, would say that they always had big plans to do things, but their spouse died and now they were going alone.

Life is far less secure than the narrative in our heads. We imagine our future and think that time is plentiful. I assure you it probably isn’t for you or me. In fact, one of my grandfathers last words was about how quickly his life had flown by. Even if we live to be old and manage to stay healthy it goes by fast.

The Camino is like a sort of reminder for me that we live while there’s time and time is short. Work on making your life happier and also for the suffering people around you, whatever that means. I’m kinda done with the idea of vacations. Every trip for me is more about exploring and getting connected.

My new wife is very much a soul mate in this journey now. I’m very lucky. And we remind each other to stay joyful, even in the troubles that come from being human.
When people ask me why, my reply is usually "because I still can." I usually go on to talk about how deaths and debilitating illness of close friends and family in the past few years have reminded me of my own mortality. I feel fortunate to still be of good health at the age of 66 and that I still can do long distance hiking. I hiked the entire French Way in 2022 and I'm currently hiking the 800-mile California Mission Trail. I plan to hike the Portuguese Way with my wife in May/June of this year. I hike because I can!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm currently hiking the 800-mile California Mission Trail. I
I have been curious about this trail, but prob not a bucket list for me. Are you hiking it in one go, or in stages? I have heard it is mostly on roads. I have not actually done any research, but rarely have read on this forum about its existence.

I have been curious about this trail, but prob not a bucket list for me. Are you hiking it in one go, or in stages? I have heard it is mostly on roads. I have not actually done any research, but rarely have read on this forum about its existence.
Google it Chris. There is a web page with all the information you might want.

This is actually the second time I've hike the trail. I completed it about 10+ years ago. I was the 12 person in modern history to have completed the trail. I think we're somewhere around 80 now that completed it. In a nutshell, it's nowhere as developed as the Camino de Santiago and a much more difficult trail.

I'm doing it in stages as I have time and ambition. I'm not quite half way done yet. The southern section from Mission San Diego to Mission Santa Barbara is easier than the central coast because there's more infrastructure to support the hiker. Going north from Santa Barbara, it get progressively more difficult until you reach Mission Santa Cruz. The section between Mission San Miguel and Mission San Antonio and then north to Mission La Soledad is particularly difficult (long distances, little infrastructure, very rural, and very hot in the summer). Once you get past Mission Santa Cruz, it gets easier with much more infrastructure as you head into northern California.

If you are interested in learning more, request membership to the California Mission Walkers Facebook page. We have an active group and you can post questions.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Having just turned 79 I can very much relate to your post and while I have too much health/wealth deficiency to actually walk a Camino (or other paths) my present hobby/goal is to create Web-Apps which include some Camino paths.

I find this very satisfying and challenging especially with the knowledge that others in my situation will be able to view these "virtual tours"

This wonderful thread and your answers to it reminded me of something. When I had to go in my early twenties to the doctor(s) prior to get permission to start working on my pilot license. The psychologist asked "why do you want to fly"...and I answered "because I love to fly". The same for caminos, for the whole life. To do what I love and love what I do.

Hello sir. I believe I met you in Puente La Reina in 2019. Good to see you here.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.