• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Via Jacobi

Kathy M.

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
I'm planning to walk the Swiss way in July 2017. I have found a list of accomadations along the way and was wondering if it will be necessary to book ahead. Any recent experience with the Swiss way would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a pilgrims office in Konstanz? Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Definetely book ahead in the designated pilgrims hostels like Rapperswil. They are the best accommodations and affordable and can be fully booked.
I sometimes had a bit of a problem with bed availability, but always got something eventually.
Sleeping in the straw is rarely booked I found, but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm planning to walk the Swiss way in July 2017. I have found a list of accomadations along the way and was wondering if it will be necessary to book ahead. Any recent experience with the Swiss way would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a pilgrims office in Konstanz? Thank you!
By the way, I found starting in Rohrschach more interesting scenically. Did the bit from Konstanz too, and it was a bit boring.
Got pilgrims passport at tourist office in Rohrschach.
Not sure about pilgrims office in Konstanz sorry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have walked the Via Jacobi, from Konstanz to Geneva, with details of route and lodging in my blog (see link in the signature block). Your big issue might be timing: July is a vacation month in Switzerland, which is a very expensive place to be. Now is not too soon to book! The range of lodging available beats every other Camino nation hands down - no one else has sleeping-in-straw, and not many have $300/night hotels. If you have the accommodation lists from the Swiss pilgrim association, you can lay out your route, and make reservations attempts starting at the lower price points, moving up as necessary to find a space. Also there are many monastic lodgings, as well as hikers hostels, available.

Remember that Switzerland has truly outstanding train service from everywhere to everywhere, even tiny towns. So you don't necessarily have to spend the night at the point you stop walking; you could hop a train to lodging, and then return by train to resume your walk. It's a beautiful route, especially east of Interlaken, and I highly recommend it.

I have walked the Via Jacobi, from Konstanz to Geneva, with details of route and lodging in my blog (see link in the signature block). Your big issue might be timing: July is a vacation month in Switzerland, which is a very expensive place to be. Now is not too soon to book! The range of lodging available beats every other Camino nation hands down - no one else has sleeping-in-straw, and not many have $300/night hotels. If you have the accommodation lists from the Swiss pilgrim association, you can lay out your route, and make reservations attempts starting at the lower price points, moving up as necessary to find a space. Also there are many monastic lodgings, as well as hikers hostels, available.

Remember that Switzerland has truly outstanding train service from everywhere to everywhere, even tiny towns. So you don't necessarily have to spend the night at the point you stop walking; you could hop a train to lodging, and then return by train to resume your walk. It's a beautiful route, especially east of Interlaken, and I highly recommend it.

We did the walk in July of 2012. Not sure about Konstanz, as we started in Rorschach. This was a good choice, as it took us through St. Gallen on Day 1, which has a beautiful Old Town and museum. We stayed in B&B's rather than hostels, and booked two months ahead. Booking ahead was useful, although we felt a little constrained at times, (i.e. we couldn't just stop after 10 miles if we were tired; we had to get to the next stop.) English guide books were not available. We obtained the Via Jacobi book in German. I think it had 18 or 19 stages. We followed that guidance. In advance, we scanned the book into Word, then ran each day through Google Translate to approximate an English guide. It was useful. There are some other websites that list some "pilgrim friendly" hostels, B&Bs, pensions and hotels.
You will not see many pilgrims--we saw thirty at most over 3 weeks. You will see the Swiss out on day hikes. We took rest days in Lucerne (great place, a short train ride from Schwyz), Interlaken and Lausanne. It was very scenic. Unlike the Camino, the churches were usually open and you self-stamp your passport. There are many great little chapels and shrines along the way. I would definitely do it again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back