• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The waterbottle mystery

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I always thought the bottles of water were for the pilgrims walking by if they were thirsty and needed some. A kind gesture, but I never quite trusted how long the bottles had been sitting there as some looked quite old....Cats? Is this for real?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Some definatly looked beyond expiration date :) I dont think cats care a lot about bottles standing arround. Then again I have a dog so I wouldnt know. My dog would love them for all the wrong reasons ;)

I just read that somewhere else. Because many houses use natural stone that will decolor when a dog pees against it. They like the bottles so instead of hitting the wall they hit the bottle that then can be cleaned or replaced.

Good you didnt drink the water pilgrim ;)

Another story I read is so the flies stay away, they believe the lightreflection of the water will mess with the flies vision. Must be pilgrim flies that walk from door to door :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A bartender in Portomarin told us that it was to prevent dogs from urinating (different word was used) on the building. We didn't really drill into the details and now I regret that.

View attachment 49541

¡Buen Camino!
That's what I had always understood😊

I heard this ‘myth’ many years ago. ie understanding was that clear bottles of water would indicate to the ‘intelligent ‘ cat or dog., that this was a drinking area. Apparently they would then find a more suitable place to ‘do their business ‘ etc rather than soil their eating spot.

Since then I’ve read that it has been disproved by ‘mythbusters’ and also read that it originated by two gardeners doing a show from NZ and put out as an April fools joke.
It’s spread to most countries over the world.
I guess some people have faith in the method as they think it works.

The bottles just look untidy littered about some gardens .

Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm pretty sure it is a myth related to keeping dogs and cats from peeing on the doorstep. Apparently it is common in Italy, too. I doubt that there is much truth to it. Definitely not water for passing pilgrims.

I was born and raised in Hawai'i. Very common to see mayo jars filled with water placed in strategic parts of the yard to frighten/confuse/enlighten dogs and I suppose cats as well. Every now and again I'll see them on the US Mainland or other parts of the world. Funny memory!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm pretty sure it is a myth related to keeping dogs and cats from peeing on the doorstep. Apparently it is common in Italy, too. I doubt that there is much truth to it. Definitely not water for passing pilgrims.
I have never even seen a sign of a dog (or cat) pee on the wall of the house where water bottles were placed. Maybe the pee signs already evaporated by the time I arrived but I was told that waterbottles keep dogs away from peeing there. Doubt it's a myth. Thousands of Spaniards would stop doing this if it wouldn't be effective, I think. Might be wrong :)

I always thought the bottles of water were for the pilgrims walking by if they were thirsty and needed some. A kind gesture, but I never quite trusted how long the bottles had been sitting there as some looked quite old....Cats? Is this for real?
YUCK! Indeed :)

As we seem to be keeping on with the theme of peeing - perhaps the Spanish train their cats and dogs to pee into the bottles in much the same way as the people at Budweiser do with gnats (substitute your least favourite brand of "beer" in that sentence).

One problem you get with animal urine on stone walls is a build up of nitrates - a kind of furry crystal build up - we had it inside the old barn/stables in our French house. Mind you it was about 250 years' worth!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've seen the same thing done in England too. Supposedly dogs and cats see their reflection in the water and are put off. Butchers use water in plastic bags suspended above their counters to keep flies away in the summer...yes honestly and it works, they see their reflection and leave due to the enormous fly coming towards them!

I’m kind of starting to feel sorry about flies. Born as a magot and grown up hated by even their own reflection. ;)
Except by anglers and doctors - mind you even when I went fishing as a kid I drew the line at holding them between my lips - they do wriggle about so much.
And as for Maggot Debridement Therapy WARNING DO NOT LOOK AT THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A STRONG STOMACH!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A trivial question maybe but all along the way there where bottles standing in front of houses and garages. Some were full, some were not.

Why?

:)
It is reputed to stop dogs peeing on the wall/step

I am still not sure if life as a maggot in a fishermans hands would be enjoyable :) Can you feel the love mon petit maggot? ;)

Sorry off topic

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thousands of Spaniards would stop doing this if it wouldn't be effective, I think. Might be wrong :)

If you do a survey of superstitions worldwide, you will see thousands of them that rationally are probably not effective but people keep doing them nevertheless. I, myself, knock wood (or my head if there is no wood available. The fact that I can't reasonably say that it is effective in making any sort of change in the real world doesn't seem to stop me from doing so. :)

Talking about stuff outside houses....when I did my first Camino way back, people along the route put stuff, fruit , vegetables outside their houses for the pilgrims or even stop us and offer as vegetables, like tomatoes. Last year I did a part of the Via de la Plata and apart from a friendly lady offer us lots to eat at her house, I saw a box full of walnuts outside the front door of another house and unfortunetly assume this is for pilgrims to take a few. Oh my hat, that was a mistake! The owner came out, furious, say something in Spanish that I could not understand, but the body language was clear. I felt so bad!! My mistake, never assume!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No! I thought about it for a long time and couldnt even sleep the first night! :rolleyes:I then realised she must have put it there to dry out, if that is what one does with walnuts:confused:

Except by anglers and doctors - mind you even when I went fishing as a kid I drew the line at holding them between my lips - they do wriggle about so much.
And as for Maggot Debridement Therapy WARNING DO NOT LOOK AT THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE A STRONG STOMACH!
Maggot debridement therapy is so cool! as a nurse I worked closely in this field before, unreal! Amazing little buggers!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've seen the same thing done in England too. Supposedly dogs and cats see their reflection in the water and are put off. Butchers use water in plastic bags suspended above their counters to keep flies away in the summer...yes honestly and it works, they see their reflection and leave due to the enormous fly coming towards them!
Plastic bags filled with water are found hanging in many outdoor dining areas in southern climes in the US, particularly in Texas, where most Barbecue joints have outdoor patios. Like the English butchers, they supposedly keep the flies away.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back