• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

thin lightweight flip-flops?

uncletim

Time of past OR future Camino
May '19, Oct 19
searching for ultralightweight flip-flops, no luck yet. all seem to be a bit thick and heavy.

I used to carry a 7.9oz/223g pair of Birkenstock EVA slides, they take up too much room and really not needed. my walking shoes are comfortable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I take Havaianas as well, they dry quickly and don't slide.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have seen them here in the malls, pretty heavy, smaller tho. thank you
Havianas are not heavy, a quick Google search says they are 5-6 oz for men’s. I don’t know if you can get any lighter unless you use the flipflops from the nail salon but those will apart within a couple days. You’re aiming for lightweight but you need to keep in mind durability, being waterproof, etc.

Havianas are not heavy, a quick Google search says they are 5-6 oz for men’s. I don’t know if you can get any lighter unless you use the flipflops from the nail salon but those will apart within a couple days. You’re aiming for lightweight but you need to keep in mind durability, being waterproof, etc.
5-6oz a pair?

Be very careful with flip-flops. The cheap, light plastic ones which are popular here in Oz are LETHAL on wet cobblestones.

I now buy a brand called Olukai which cost around $80. I am on my second pair and they are the best thongs I have ever owned.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can buy them in any China Bazaar on the Camino.
I second Annie, any cheap discount store in any country. You want to look for the kind with a foam type bottom, super lightweight. If you are just looking to shower and walk to and from dinner in them they will more than fit the purpose.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Crocs make amazingly lightweight and supportive flip-flops. Also not too expensive.
Another vote for Crocs. On my second Camino my feet divorced my boots. It was an ugly parting with zero chance of reconciliation!
My option was either walk in my Crocs or take a cab...my feet were a blistered mess!
So with double socks I walked close to 100 kilometers over a few days before getting to a large enough center to buy a pair of trail shoes.
Years later I still have the same Crocs and they will be going back to Spain again this fall for the sixth time.
It's nice to know they can serve as back up for walking if need be.
Walking in flip flops wouldn't be ideal...

searching for ultralightweight flip-flops, no luck yet. all seem to be a bit thick and heavy.

I used to carry a 7.9oz/223g pair of Birkenstock EVA slides, they take up too much room and really not needed. my walking shoes are comfortable.
Buy cheap ones you can bin at the end. Watch out for slippery floors in rooms and bathrooms - flip flops don’t do well on wet floors.

Look into buying a pair of Tom's loafers. They are super lightweight and you can wear them at night especially if it is cold or rainy and your trail runners are wet. Also for every pair you buy Tom's gives a pair away somewhere in the world to a child that needs shoes. Unless of course you want it for the shower. I think they cost the same as your Birkenstocks do.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Crocs !!!

Wanderlusting lawyer on YouTube has a good video, she recommends

bfflz Reusable Pop-Up Flip-Flop​

Which are hard to find, I found them on eBay. Also an Amazon search for foldable flip flops may be fruitful.

Which are hard to find, I found them on eBay. Also an Amazon search for foldable flip flops may be fruitful.
I still use my bfflz from 2016. 10 caminos and lots of other travel, and the soles are hardly worn. Last year the between-the-toe connectors finally broke. I used a couple pieces of 1/8 bungie cord and slide locks to turn them into ultralight sandals. Now they stay on even better. To punch through the thin rubber soles, I heated a paperclip with lighter and melted small holes for the bungie cords. I think total weight is 55 grams/pair.

If you cannot find bfflz, buy a pair of stiff inner soles and make bungie harnesses for them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In 2016 I met a weather-worn French guy who was walking the CF only in flip flops.
He said every year he walked the camino and spent 6 months in Thailand.

I second Annie, any cheap discount store in any country. You want to look for the kind with a foam type bottom, super lightweight. If you are just looking to shower and walk to and from dinner in them they will more than fit the purpose.
That's not true, here they're selling snowblowers now, (or at least next month).. never owned or worn flip-flops, and not time to order some. Are Archies or eg to bye in places along FC?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's not true, here they're selling snowblowers now, (or at least next month).. never owned or worn flip-flops, and not time to order some. Are Archies or eg to bye in places along FC?
Archies were developed and made in Australia. Available from most physiotherapists here and some retail outlets. For the rest of the world their online store is very reliable.

I took crocs with me. In addition to their big clunky style that one normally associates with crocs, they make lightweight ones as well. Sturdy enough to walk around town or even one day, the last mile to town, and super light weight and compact..

Oofos are comfortable enough to walk miles in, and they weigh just a few ounces. They’re not cheap, about 60 USD, but I have found them to be worth it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Archies were developed and made in Australia. Available from most physiotherapists here and some retail outlets. For the rest of the world their online store is very reliable.
Ordered them now, read so many good recommendations. Estimated delivery sept 4th, the day before I travel. Thanks for advise 🙌

Xero sandals are super lightweight, durable and secure.

Flip-Flops with an inbuilt arch support = Archies
I used them on the CF last year; so comfy after a day walking
Do you know what they weigh offhand? might be nice for Thailand rainy season if too heavy for my pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

good call! found the bfflz on ebay, no size.. waiting on a reply., I see some other folding EVA ones

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.