• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking about the caminho Portuguese? Concerned about starting in Lisbon? Read on.....

Magwood

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
Many people, like me, start their camino adventure with the Frances route and are immediately 'hooked'. The next year, or a few years down the line, we want to walk again, and look for a different camino. Many of us feel that the Portuguese route seems the obvious next step, but are fazed by some negative reports about the long stages when starting from Lisbon, and opt instead to set off from Porto.

I am not an experienced walker - before training for the Camino Frances last year I had never hiked, nor donned a backpack. But I wanted to walk another camino and the Portuguese route seemed to be calling me. I wasn't restricted by time, and I really wanted to start my next camino at what is considered 'the beginning', but like many others I was nervous about the long stages and the lack of company on the early part of the route.

I posed many questions on this forum from those who had already walked from Lisbon, and eventually decided to go for it.

The main deciding factor was that it had become possible to split the first long stages by using the new 'pick and drop' service. It has been talked about before on this forum, but sometimes these threads drop down the list and get a bit lost from sight. A few good people have developed a system to walk shorter stages from Lisbon to Porto either by making use of the excellent train line that runs close to the route or by using the 'taxi' service established by a few of the hostel owners, who will collect you from a pre-arranged point between stages, and return you there the next day. This way you can walk the full stage, but not necessarily all in one go.

I used Mario's service between Azambuja and Santarém where according to my gps there is a stage of 36 km, the entire second half without any bars or drinking water facilities. This was particularly useful in the very hot weather that I encountered this year. And the bonus was that I got to stay two nights in Mario's fabulous Santarém hostel, which pampers pilgrims with top notch facilities and a bar on the huge terrace.

Another of the issues for some is that there are not many other pilgrims walking from Lisbon. I was actually surprised by how many others were walking this stretch of the camino during the early part of May when I walked. I met people from many countries including Germany, Australia, Canada, USA, Malta, Ireland, Switzerland, Netherlands, Spain. Portugal, Brazil, Denmark, France, Italy, Lithuania - and these were all before reaching Porto. There is nothing like the traffic on the camino Frances, but many would consider this to be a bonus. The route is becoming more popular and I would encourage anyone to try it before it becomes crowded.

Although there are not the elevations on this walk that you encounter on the French way, it is by no means a walk in the park. The dreaded cobbles and the road walking are a challenge in themselves, but the stunning countryside and fabulous forest walks more than make up for the hard surfaces. And the 'friends of the camino' are constantly working towards improving the route. There is a 24 hour telephone helpline for anyone getting into difficulties.

The Portuguese are fabulous people who will try their best to help and provide what you need - the food deserves a thread of its own. And don't get me started on the wonders of the local wine - vinho verde has to be the most refreshing (alcoholic) drink available - so delicious.

In honesty, I am very glad I walked the French route first which gave me the courage to try the Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon (speaking as a female hiking novice who reached sixty this year and has never travelled alone before - I needed a little courage), and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

If you are toying with the idea of starting out from Lisbon, but have any doubts or specific questions, just ask here and you will get some honest replies and support from those of us who have travelled this camino and want others to share its delights.

I blogged daily from my caminho Portuguese this year and if you click on the link below this post you will get a good flavour of what to expect. I am also developing a camino resources page with links to lots of useful information and blogs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
M
Many people, like me, start their camino adventure with the Frances route and are immediately 'hooked'. The next year, or a few years down the line, we want to walk again, and look for a different camino. Many of us feel that the Portuguese route seems the obvious next step, but are fazed by some negative reports about the long stages when starting from Lisbon, and opt instead to set off from Porto.

I am not an experienced walker - before training for the Camino Frances last year I had never hiked, nor donned a backpack. But I wanted to walk another camino and the Portuguese route seemed to be calling me. I wasn't restricted by time, and I really wanted to start my next camino at what is considered 'the beginning', but like many others I was nervous about the long stages and the lack of company on the early part of the route.

I posed many questions on this forum from those who had already walked from Lisbon, and eventually decided to go for it.

The main deciding factor was that it had become possible to split the first long stages by using the new 'pick and drop' service. It has been talked about before on this forum, but sometimes these threads drop down the list and get a bit lost from sight. A few good people have developed a system to walk shorter stages from Lisbon to Porto either by making use of the excellent train line that runs close to the route or by using the 'taxi' service established by a few of the hostel owners, who will collect you from a pre-arranged point between stages, and return you there the next day. This way you can walk the full stage, but not necessarily all in one go.

I used Mario's service between Azambuja and Santarém where according to my gps there is a stage of 36 km, the entire second half without any bars or drinking water facilities. This was particularly useful in the very hot weather that I encountered this year. And the bonus was that I got to stay two nights in Mario's fabulous Santarém hostel, which pampers pilgrims with top notch facilities and a bar on the huge terrace.

Another of the issues for some is that there are not many other pilgrims walking from Lisbon. I was actually surprised by how many others were walking this stretch of the camino during the early part of May when I walked. I met people from many countries including Germany, Australia, Canada, USA, Malta, Ireland, Switzerland, Netherlands, Spain. Portugal, Brazil, Denmark, France, Italy, Lithuania - and these were all before reaching Porto. There is nothing like the traffic on the camino Frances, but many would consider this to be a bonus. The route is becoming more popular and I would encourage anyone to try it before it becomes crowded.

Although there are not the elevations on this walk that you encounter on the French way, it is by no means a walk in the park. The dreaded cobbles and the road walking are a challenge in themselves, but the stunning countryside and fabulous forest walks more than make up for the hard surfaces. And the 'friends of the camino' are constantly working towards improving the route. There is a 24 hour telephone helpline for anyone getting into difficulties.

The Portuguese are fabulous people who will try their best to help and provide what you need - the food deserves a thread of its own. And don't get me started on the wonders of the local wine - vinho verde has to be the most refreshing (alcoholic) drink available - so delicious.

In honesty, I am very glad I walked the French route first which gave me the courage to try the Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon (speaking as a female hiking novice who reached sixty this year and has never travelled alone before - I needed a little courage), and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

If you are toying with the idea of starting out from Lisbon, but have any doubts or specific questions, just ask here and you will get some honest replies and support from those of us who have travelled this camino and want others to share its delights.

I blogged daily from my caminho Portuguese this year and if you click on the link below this post you will get a good flavour of what to expect. I am also developing a camino resources page with links to lots of useful information and blogs.
Magwood,
Thank you so much for your beautiful blog and info here. I walked the CF 2014 and am considering the Portugues for 2015. One question I have is regarding luggage transfer. I really had foot problems on the CF and the Spanish doctors (yes 2 of them) told me to stop carrying my pack. I listened to the 2nd one ; )
Can I find luggage transfer on the Portugues?
Stefania

M

Magwood,
Thank you so much for your beautiful blog and info here. I walked the CF 2014 and am considering the Portugues for 2015. One question I have is regarding luggage transfer. I really had foot problems on the CF and the Spanish doctors (yes 2 of them) told me to stop carrying my pack. I listened to the 2nd one ; )
Can I find luggage transfer on the Portugues?
Stefania
Not much. The first offers in that field of offering luggage services start after Porto. I do not know how far the presumed services of Mario's network are developped by now as you will start from Lisbon. When we walked last year there was nothing about that matter

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not much. The first offers in that field of offering luggage services start after Porto. I do not know how far the presumed services of Mario's network are developped by now as you will start from Lisbon. When we walked last year there was nothing about that matter
Thanks Albertinho. I wondered if that might be the case. I'll keep checking.
Stefania

Hi Stefania
There is a Pick&drop network service starting from Porto de Muge to Alvaizere.
The standard service covers 150km supported by 4 Hostels / Albergues .
Let me know what are your your needs and will give all the details.
You can also find more information about how to short long stages if in case, here.
Bom Caminho
Mario

I walked the Caminho Portugués from Lisboa in 2013 and wish I had heard of the pick&drop network. There were long stretches without hostels, but my husband and I found reasonably priced rooms and inns. Since then, I have heard that there are more hostels available.

After walking the 400+ miles on the cobblestones, we both had to replace our shoes the constant pounding had worn away the soles.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Stefania
There is a Pick&drop network service starting from Porto de Muge to Alvaizere.
The standard service covers 150km supported by 4 Hostels / Albergues .
Let me know what are your your needs and will give all the details.
You can also find more information about how to short long stages if in case, here.
Bom Caminho
Mario
Thank you Mario. I appreciate your input and have enjoyed watching you interviews with pilgrims and you insights. I am still deciding where to walk but you have done much to alleviate my concerns about the Portugues.
Stefania

Hi @Stefania13/14 . Sorry I didn't get back yo you - I have been away. I see others have responded though. Mario comes up trumps, as usual!

Dear

Dear mag, I am a young women hoping to bike the caminho portuguese in mid feb- march, i also like you need a touch of encouragement and information as i have heard quite negative things about this route, and many have encouraged me to post pone my trip and do the frances route at a later time. i was wondering if you had any resources for me and could help a girl out. kindest thoughts Em

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear
Dear mag, I am a young women hoping to bike the caminho portuguese in mid feb- march, i also like you need a touch of encouragement and information as i have heard quite negative things about this route, and many have encouraged me to post pone my trip and do the frances route at a later time. i was wondering if you had any resources for me and could help a girl out. kindest thoughts Em

Hi Em. There were a lot of cyclists sharing the trail when I walked, but I got the feeling most were local people out for weekend rides with groups of friends.

You can find lots of information by searching this forum, or post a specific question about biking the CP. You will get lots of responses. I thoroughly enjoyed my walk, but to be honest I am glad that I had the previous experience of the camino Frances. Although I am speaking as someone who hadn't hiked or been away on my own until I walked the camino. The Portuguese people are extremely kind and helpful and there are some characterful places to stay along the way. I am very pleased that I walked this route.

I have a few links on the resource page of my blog which you can see here. If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask, either in this thread or by pm.

At least you won't have to walk over all those cobbles - but perhaps it's equally uncomfortable on a bike?
Bom caminho!

FYI: a Portuguese friend told me that pilgrims are allowed to sleep at any fire station in the country. If true, that would constitute quite an impressive albergue network.

Of course the facilities might consist of nothing but a roof over one's head. Could be worth checking out anyway.

FYI: a Portuguese friend told me that pilgrims are allowed to sleep at any fire station in the country. If true, that would constitute quite an impressive albergue network.

Of course the facilities might consist of nothing but a roof over one's head. Could be worth checking out anyway.

Hi Prentiss, and welcome to the forum. It used to be true that pilgrims could sleep in fire stations, and if you read through older posts, you'll see a lot of forum members have done that. But the number of stations accepting pilgrims is steadily decreasing, as the number of pilgrims increases. For the most up to date listing of the bombeiros that accept pilgrims, check out the Via Lusitana website. http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/

But the good news is that pilgrim accommodation is increasing, especially between Lisbon and Porto, where it was pretty spotty for years.

Bom caminho, Laurie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Laurie, thanks for pointing to the real info to clarify my rumor! :-]

Bom caminho,

Prentiss

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back