• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

This one is for gentlemen only.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am not planning to bring shaving gear. Does anyone know if there are barber shops along the Camino Frances where I can shave the beard that I will accumulate? If so, where? Thanks.
Sorry, can't help you there because I don’t shave myself.
Wish you well, Peter.

Thats going to depend on how often you want to lose that pilgrim shadow. In the major cities: Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Ponferada you will find barber shops that will scrape you back to civilised. Otherwise carry a few lightweight disposables and borrow a dab of olive oil from the Albergue kitchen.

There is an old thread plugging a barber in Santiago for that final trim. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/shave-and-a-haircut-in-santiago.39213/#post-391347

Me, I just let it grow. Never did me any harm :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thats going to depend on how often you want to lose that pilgrim shadow. In the major cities: Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Ponferada you will find barber shops that will scrape you back to civilised. Otherwise carry a few lightweight disposables and borrow a dab of olive oil from the Albergue kitchen.

There is an old thread plugging a barber in Santiago for that final trim. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/shave-and-a-haircut-in-santiago.39213/#post-391347

Me, I just let it grow. Never did me any harm :D

Never had one but I did a trial run last month and I only lasted a week before I had to shave it off. My kids did not help. They said I looked old!

any barber in any town will do it, only in smaller towns you might not find a barber. Otherwise, even if it is not so common to be shaved in a barber any more, it should be no big issue.

Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@PIER-GIORGIO BASSI -

IMHO, you have little chance of avoiding some (ahem) "age" without shaving gear...especially on the Meseta, unless you inconvenience your pilgrimage with hunting down shops.

The lightest solution I came up with was an aged 'Atra' double blade with 4 extra blades taped (individually) to an old business card. These went into a small ziploc bag.

The kit lasted me 42 days.

On Camino 1, I did without and was comically upbraided by a local farmer outside of Sarria who told me how awful I looked. (he was middle-aged at the onset of the Paleolithic and neither shaved nor showered during the interim. I had to maneuver upwind during the chat to preserve eyesight.)

Buen Camino!

B

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Never had one but I did a trial run last month and I only lasted a week before I had to shave it off. My kids did not help. They said I looked old!

If you are not accustomed to a beard by never having one, then know that it takes a little time. One day you wake up and feel grateful that you don't have to shave and you feel good. No scratchy feeling, etc. I typically always shave my lower neck. I convince myself that by doing so I remain civilized or I try to at least. I think if you go two weeks you will be fine if it is your first beard. I have worn a beard or facial hair for many years. It keeps me young.

I am not planning to bring shaving gear. Does anyone know if there are barber shops along the Camino Frances where I can shave the beard that I will accumulate? If so, where? Thanks.
After about three days, I question why I was shaving. I came back to the States with a full beard that was quite a hit. I know that this doesn't answer your question, but try not shaving for a change Buen camino

In Hospital d'Orbigo there is an old style barber who uses hand powered clippers and a cut-throat razor. After the bridge, on the right.
Nothing like an old fashioned hot towel, soap in a cup, shave, talcum powder..a,new man!!
Beards are the level of dante's inferno where the hot coals ate kept..
Got more grey than black when it grows..something like a young Moses...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tried not shaving a couple of years ago while on holiday in France. For the first time in a long long time my wife and I were refused service in a restaurant and when I posted a picture of myself on Facebook, my son said I looked like Ray Winstone!!! I'm still not taking shaving stuff with me next month though.

My hubby had a haircut and beard trim twice on our Camino. Once in Estella (can't place this one but very near the main Plaza) and then again in Melide (Pelugueria de Caballeros on the Rua San Pedro). Both were small, family run barber shops. The hombre looked quite dashing afterwards :cool:

+1 for don't shave. Make daily pictures of your face and later on a .gif version of them. Look how your clean cut pretty face becomes a tired and happy bearded dude. Thats what I did for long hitchhikes and was always fun. If you don't like the beard when you go home you can always shave it =)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I bring a razor and shaving oil. Its not so much that I care what I look like to others, but my face gets itchy.

I never found any enjoyment in the first week or two of beard growth, it itch I can do without. Totally a personal thing I suppose but for me it's a comfort thing.

I was thinking of growing a beard as I walked my next Camino. Circumstances meant I had to postpone my pilgrimage but I decided to grow the bristles anyway.
I've promised myself I'll have my next shave in Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wish I could grow a beard. I'd grow it down to my ankles and then braid it in two halves and hang beads from it.

I just let it go. In Leon, got a haircut and the lady trimmed up the beard and mustache to make it look civilized.

Sorry, can't help you there because I don’t shave myself.
Wish you well, Peter.
Usually you will find a place along the way I have had a hair cut from a ladies salon at one village they are very accommodating. Also can someone give me advice on another issue . I am starting in Lourdes France was give names of places to stay at and I have not received an answer, anyone familiar with this thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey, why not live dangerously. Ask when you get into town if there is a barber shop nearby. If there isn't, leave it for another day and go sightseeing, or connect with some friends and go have a drink. As long as you shower regularly, no one would mind. I know I wouldn't. :)

In Hospital d'Orbigo there is an old style barber who uses hand powered clippers...
I hope his hand-powered clippers are sharper than the ones my dad used on my brothers and me when we were kids. It almost felt like he was pulling our hair out one strand at a time.

I am starting from SJdP 14 September. I plan to get a short haircut the day before and not shave till I have returned to Santiago from Muxia. I will get a hair cut and shave in Santiago to celebrate. It has been a long time since I have had a beard, too much gray in it. I know the weight of a razor isn't much but every little bit not carried is a benefit.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have psoriasis on my face. If I don't shave, at least every other day, it looks like have left my lunch on my face. Leaving Monday for the Camino and taking a razor with three triple blade cartridges and "Somersets Shaving Oil." The later is an English product, provided in a bottle, slightly smaller than a nail polish bottle. It claims to provide enough product for 60 shaves. Having tested it, it can be well recommended. I purchased mine at Walmart in the US.

yep, any 'peluquería' (hairdresser), will give you a trim or shave (thanks in part to all the Spanish hipsters), and any reasonably sized town will have a least one peluquería.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are not accustomed to a beard by never having one, then know that it takes a little time. One day you wake up and feel grateful that you don't have to shave and you feel good. No scratchy feeling, etc. I typically always shave my lower neck. I convince myself that by doing so I remain civilized or I try to at least. I think if you go two weeks you will be fine if it is your first beard. I have worn a beard or facial hair for many years. It keeps me young.
I have worn a beard for many years, it keeps me warm.

I hope his hand-powered clippers are sharper than the ones my dad used on my brothers and me when we were kids. It almost felt like he was pulling our hair out one strand at a time.

It was a delightful experience, the barber is a maestro.

Also can someone give me advice on another issue . I am starting in Lourdes France was give names of places to stay at and I have not received an answer, anyone familiar with this thanks.

Hi Nathanael, you'll probably have more luck if you post your question about Lourdes in a new thread.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Never had a beard in my life and grew my first on CF in 2014. Don't know where the grey came from but quite liked it and nail scissors kept it trimmed. It was worth it in not wasting time in the morning and importantly saving weight. I now look on it as my "pilgrim beard" and my wife tolerates it. It comes off on return home.

Every time I see this topic on the most viewed threads, I keep wondering if it is going to talk about "gentlemen's clubs" or strip clubs. The above photos, just made me have to bring the topic up. I know if is a pilgrimage.

P.S. I intend to shave ....just my face. Even though a lot of bikers and swimmers shave more, I keep my shaving to a minimum. TMI.

Just take a razor/trimmer. Its not that big of a deal. I carry this whenever I hike. Its tiny, it is both a razor and beard trimmer. Runs on a single battery. If you use it every 3rd or 4th day the battery will last your entire Camino and you will never look too unsightly. They cost about $19.99 at Target and other stores. The razor clips onto the trimmer. The trimmer adjusts for different length beards.

Hikers and pilgrims often look like pigs. Don't be one of those guys. Grow a 'pilgrims beard' but keep it neat.

http://gillette.com/en-us/products/...ors/proglide-styler-beard-trimmer-power-razor

MTI3MzMzNjQ1OTcwMDk4MTg2.jpg

My personal opinion is that shaving and pilgrimage just dont go together... Let it grow, Let yoursef flow...

Shaving is such a "Bring you down to earth" activity that ( at least for me) if I shave in the morning during the Camino my mindset would dress me up with a full suit and tie in the next step.

But thats a very personal decision. You could buy some disposable shaver in probably any pharmacy in any village you pass by.

Buen Camino!

I carry a razor and shaving cream and shave about every 2 or 3 days. I find the expense of weight and time to be well worth it. But that's just my personal opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My personal opinion is that shaving and pilgrimage just dont go together... Let it grow

Sort of reminds me of the old Spanish joke.

A Spaniard was out searching for his lost dog.
A pilgrim happened upon him and offered to help.
The grateful Spaniard said the dogs name was 'Peregrino'
The shocked pilgrim asked if he named the dog after pilgrims because it wanders about
The Spaniard said 'no' he named the dog Peregrino because it was scruffy and smelled.

Such is the reputation pilgrims have in Spain.

And as evidence I submit:
You are lucky! I have been told that I look like the back end of a brindle dog. (Maybe it was just kidding.;))

B

Last edited:

I think that I am going to be trying to leave as many of the rituals and vanity's of home .... behind ..... selfishly saving the weight and the time

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have noted on another thread that I once walked with a Scottish retired naval officer who frequently had a shave by a barber- usually every second or third day. Spanish barbers are trained to use a straight razor and he told me that he enjoyed the break and was able to meet local people in the salon or barber shop. I watched the procedure one day; it involves sitting with a hot towel on the face and emitting sounds of satisfaction, the shaving ritual, all sorts of potions and powders were slapped on, and he shook hands and exchanged embrazzi with the staff and all of the other clients. He told me that it was the only way to be shaved. He classified humanity into three divisions, those who grew beards, those who were shaved by trained barbers, and the wretched of the earth.

In my normal life i shave everyday,on the Camino i do not,i like looking like a pilgrim :)

I believe I saw a barbers in if I remember correctly Estella. Personally, I just let the beard grow and shaved when I got home. I quite liked my silver beard but she who must be obeyed said SHAVE. Just ask for 'peluquería' and someone will point the way

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back