• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time for a new pilgrimage; what would you recommend?

earnrunner

Dear brothers and sisters,
Done the Camino Frances in the last summer (from SJPP) and loved every minute. Now I'm looking for a new pilgrimage adventure for this summer. How about the Portuguese Camino? How about the pilgrimage to Rome? Any other ideas?
Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi earnrunner

My wife and I have done the route to Rome from Switzerland but this is route I would recommend in either May-June or Sept-Oct. July and August especially through Tuscany and Lazio you may find too hot and many of the places closed for the August holidays.

Have you considered doing the route through Switzerland?

When in the summer do you expect to go and for how long?

Neville

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
jirit said:
the route to Rome from Switzerland
Hi Neville,
What did you use as a guide for directions & accommodation?
Col

colinPeter said:
jirit said:
the route to Rome from Switzerland
Hi Neville,
What did you use as a guide for directions & accommodation?
Col

Hi Colin

When we decided to do the route to Rome (the Via Francigena in Italy) there were no reliable English guides, so we made our own, making our own maps, route plan and accommodation guide.

Since that time, a good English guide by Lightfoot Guides has been published
http://www.pilgrimagepublications.com/l ... uides.html

You can learn more about our account of walking the Via Francigena in Italy here:
http://www.verderamedia.com/

Neville
An Italian Odyssey

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did the Via Francigena in 2010 from Canterbury to Rome by bike. Hugely satisfying but completely different experience from the Camino.
Looking into cycling to Jerusalem next either following Danube or starting Rome.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Leaving SJPP March 8, 2012

Buen Camino; I am going out on a limb and will walk the Camino from SJPP to Santiago (March 5 - April 13.) I walked the Camino once before but not until mid May. Has anybody walked the Camino during that time? What should I expect? Thanks for your help
Rudy

Re: Leaving SJPP March 8, 2012

rfiebiger said:
Buen Camino; I am going out on a limb and will walk the Camino from SJPP to Santiago (March 5 - April 13.) I walked the Camino once before but not until mid May. Has anybody walked the Camino during that time? What should I expect? Thanks for your help
Rudy

I have walked the CF twice strarting in early-mid March. Different both times as you may expect.
Weather ranged from cold mornings to hot days. No rain in 2009 until Galicia and a lot of rain in 2010 all along the way. Albergues were open for the most part. Lots of pilgrims...but no rush for beds. Don't recall ever seeing a full albergue although from Sarria on (April) it was pretty full and many young Spanish pilgrims.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Earnrunner,

I also did the Camino Frances last year and was looking for a new (well, old) path for 2012. I was debating between the Portuguese Camino, Via de la Plata, and Camino del Norte. After learning more about each route, I decided to go with the vdlp but I can see how much of a personal preference this decision entails. I was looking for a longer, quieter route, and I also like warm weather :)

I did hear a lot of great things about the Portuguese Camino, but I don't have personal experience just yet. I'll start the vdlp at the end of April/early May, so I can let you know... :)

Buen Camino!
Michal

--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Hi Michal.

You'll love the VDLP! It's wonderfully peaceful, yet you'll find plenty of people to chat with when you wish. Nice, long stretches, too. And, yes, plenty of water is good! The dogs are little more aggressive here, as they aren't used to as many people passing by. Have fun.

Melanie

I am also looking to return to walk another route this coming May, but I can't decide between the Via de la plata or del norte... Does anyone know which has less walking along highway shoulders? I don't mind asphalt or even industrial ugliness, it makes me appreciate nature more when it appears again along the way but walking right next to speeding cars/trucks especially around curves and in fog kinda freaks me out....

Hi Michal,

Yes, water WILL be an issue on the VdlP! I walked from Sevilla to just beyond Zamora this past July (had to abort due to physical issues) and I took a 2L platypus filled to the brim EVERY DAY plus 2 small 500 ml water bottles. I drank every last drop and filled up whereever possible. Unfortunately there are no fountains and during the first week or so also no intermediary stops in which to refill.

This was of course in the summer. One positive point is that I NEVER had to take a pit stop - my body used every last drop I consumed!

Cheers,
LT

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't know which route has less mileage along the highway, but the VDLP doesn't have too much. There's some in the beginning from Sevilla to Santiponce, but that's a pretty short stretch, and in most other cases if you're walking along a blacktop road, it isn't well-traveled at all. The only stretch I really disliked was the walk from Xunquierra to Ourense. This is largely alongside paved roads, and it gets busier and busier the closer you get to Ourense. But it's one day's walk out of 6 or 7 weeks, so it's not a big deal. And there's an unofficial route around the Ourense section.

Re: water, while you DO have to be careful to carry lots of water, especially if you're walking when it's hot, I found there to be plenty of places to either purchase water or use fountains most of the time. There are definitely some stages where you're out of luck, as you don't pass through any towns the entire day and so have to carry quite a bit of water. And there are lots of towns where you'll find a fountain, but you're not sure if the water's potable or not and you can't always find people to ask. But I drink a ton of water and have never had an issue. There always seemed to be a fountain or store or nice person who refilled my mochila in their kitchen. (But maybe that's the magic of the Camino at work!)

Melanie

With a 2 or 3 liter water bladder, the empty weight difference is negligible, and you can fill it with whatever quantity you want. It is really hard to get 2 liters of water in a 1 liter bottle ...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did the Via Francigena in 2010 from Canterbury to Rome by bike. Hugely satisfying but completely different experience from the Camino.
Looking into cycling to Jerusalem next either following Danube or starting Rome.
Hi,

I know its a few years ago, but what time of year did you go and where did you stay. In December I am hopefully setting off by foot if there is enough 'Donativo' options as well as the occasional Gites d'Etape.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back