• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To visit La Cruz de Ferro

MiriaBD

Time of past OR future Camino
Junio (2013)
I am almost ready for muy trip, and I will be in Pamplona on June 8, from USA. I have to make some last minute changes, I have to go to La Cruz de Hierro. I can not find in web sites transportation from Pamplona to the nearest town.
Our average daily walking is 25 K , so I think I can walk from closer place. I have 11 days, and I would like to start el Camino de Santiago in Sarria, 5 days will be enogh for us.
I have interest to visit several places, but very little time available.
I have a lot of questions, I feel lost now.
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Miria

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: To visit La Cruz de Hierro

Do you mean Cruz de Ferro?

Start point would be Astorga. Cruz de Ferro is at the highest point on the camino (1505m) midway between Astorga and Molinaseca, a two day walk.

Its possible to walk from Astorga to Santiago in 11 days using Brierley's stages.

The train runs (once per day?) from Pamplona to Astorga. It might work better if you make several connections.
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

The train runs several times per day from Ponferrada (the next town after Molinaseca) to Sarria.

There is no direct bus. You have to connect via several routes. Check the map on the Alsa page to find the stages for buses. ie Pamplona to San Sebastien or Tudela and onward to Burgos and Leon before getting to Astorga.
http://www.alsa.es/en/buy-and-schedules ... pe=common#

Thanks whariwharangi, Yes Cruz de Ferro. This is the place where we leave a very special request with a stone. right ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Cruz de Ferro is the highest point on the Camino. Its marked with a cairn of stones and a wooden pole topped with an cross made of iron.

I'm not sure where the tradition comes from for pilgrims to bring stones from far away places and how that developed into a tradition of leaving a very special request with a stone, but yes, this is the place.

Please don't leave any object other than a stone. Its a beautiful place and it is being marred by people leaving 'mementoes' that leave the place looking like a trash dump.

I will not do it. just a stone.
there a number of kilometers that I need to walk a day in order to have a stamp in my pilgrim's credencial , and/or be able to sleep in an albergue,

MiriaBD,

There is no set rule on how many kilometers you must walk each day in order to get a stamp or to sleep in an albergue. The only requirement is to have your Credential stamped twice each day, ie morning and night, from Sarria to Santiago. If you wish to obtain a Compostela the double stamp provides proof to the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago that you have indeed walked the last 100 km.

For a useful Forum guide of all the pilgrim albergues on the Camino Frances see this handy list >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-frances/ . Just east of the Cruz de Ferro stop in Foncebadon at least for a mid morning break at the Albergue de Monte Irago which is one of my favorites. I spent 3 snowy days there in early March 2009 sitting out a true blizzard!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Presumably the two sellos are one at the place you sleep, and one at a coffee stop or church along the way? I hope they are easy to find from Sarria to Santiago as I didn't always get two per day between St. Jean and Burgos.

hello future peregrinos,

you can get a stamp (sello) anywhere between the 2 stages - be it at the albergue, church, ayuntamiento (town hall), police station, guardia civil offices which are usually open 24/7, cafe-bar, restaurant, civil protection office which answers to the town hall.

as suggested it is better to get 2 stamps daily, especially the last 100 kms in order to obtain the compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

I think I messed up my stages. Following Brierly now after being off stage during the busy sections. Brierly has a stage from Molinaseca to villafranca del Bierzo. And then one potentially...
We’re currently on the Frances. We’re walking from SJPDP. We’re looking at our projected dates for Sarria to Santiago. When we try to find lodging it all looks sold out on booking.com. What...
A local Navarra website has reported the death of a 61 year old German peregrina this morning in Zuriain. The cause appears to have been cardiac arrest. The third death of a pilgrim in Navarra in...
I just got an email that the train from Bayonne to St Jean tonight is canceled. Anyone else see this?
Hi - I am currently on the Via Podiensis and in a few weeks will be arriving in SJPP and then continuing on the Frances for a bit. I have never been to SJPP before and am wondering if it is worth...
Hey y’all! I’m on the Frances between Roncesvalles and Zubiri today I have misplaced my US passport and credencial. If anyone has seen it please let me know! Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back