• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tourism in SJPP or surroundings - Any suggestions??

aussieval

Hi everyone, I have a few days to spare in SJPP before I start my walk. Never been there or anywhere in France, but would love to spend a couple of days in France, not too far from SJPP, getting to know the area, the people, food etc. Any ideas of where to go, where to stay, what to do? I'm prepared to spend more than what I would in pilgrim accommodation... Any tips appreciated.

Aussieval

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi aussieval,

This may not be the kind of answer you're looking for, but you are asking this question to a huge bunch of die-hard walkers and camino addicts. :D My suggestion would be to spend those days "warming up" -- go a few days back from St. Jean on the GR 65 (I walked the LePuy route years ago and can't pinpoint specific towns right now, but I'm sure others can). The scenery is beautiful and the accommodation is good. This is a particularly good idea, I think, if you think the crossing from St. Jean to Roncesvalles will be challenging for you, because it ease you into the walking routine more gently. The few days before St. Jean are all pretty level terrain. Combining easy walk days with tourism in this part of the world shouldn't be hard at all.

Laurie

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi aussieval,

I agree with Laurie!
I would recommend starting at St-Palais. There is an excellent Gîte where you can get your legs back for a couple of nights and then hit the road for a warm up as suggested.

Take a look: http://maisonfransicaine.over-blog.com/

If you prefer something more romantic, then go past (a few minutes by train) Bayonne to St-Jean-de-Luz. A lovely Basque village by the ocean. You might not want to go any further...

Jean-Marc

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a lot to see around St Jean. You could start walking from Saint Palais which has one of the best Chemin St Jacques museums in France. It is about 38km from St Jean. About 2km from Saint Palais, on the way to Gibralta, is a 'stele' that was erected to mark the spot where the routes from Paris, Le Puy and Vezelay meet.

There is a lovely walk from there, uphill (the Chemin de procession) where you will have a wonderful view of the Pyrenees.

At the top is the tiny Chapelle de Soyarza with a covered area to rest and a pilgrims' book to write in.

5kms from there is the tiny hamlet of Ostabat where, it has been said, inns could accommodate up to 5000 pilgrims in the middle ages. Ostabat is about 19kms from St Jean Pied de Port.

Attachments

• Gibraltar small.JPG
    Gibraltar small.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 525
  • Chapel at the top.JPG
    Chapel at the top.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 525
  • 104 View from the top.JPG
    104 View from the top.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 526
Beautiful pictures, Sil.

I guess I should modify my earlier statement about the terrain before St. Jean being level. Your picture jogged my memory, and now I do remember the ascent up to that beautiful spot a few km before Ostabat, but no specific memory about how difficult it was. But the views were amazing, just as your picture shows.

Laurie

Thank you all for your ideas and tips. The area does look very beautiful and it might be a good idea to warm up my legs before I take on the Pyrenees! :) I'll consider...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Fransican Monastery in St Palais was wonderfully welcoming when I was there last year. There is a VERY steep hill on leaving St Palais, but wonderful scenery. On a Wednesday night the villages gather and practice their Basque dancing - truly a delight, watching the young and old all helping and encouraging each other, and working at keeping their culture alive. The Pelota games are worth watching too - I am not sure if that is a Tuesday or a Thursday in St palais, but the tourist office will tell you. Cheers, Janet

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back