• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stay in SJPP overnight or start for Orisson

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
I arrive in Pamplona on April 16 at 9 AM and thinking about going directly to SJPP, checking in and starting straight out for Orisson. Has anyone else done this? Should I consider rather spending the day and night in SJPP and heading out early the 17th?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It depends on how long you've been travelling, my advice would be to spend the night in SJPdP and rest, it's a nice little town. The walk up to Orrison is steep and a good nights rest will benefit your body.

Variables to contemplate..

Is there space at Orrison
How tired you are on arrival at SJPDP
Weather conditions Route Napoleon
daylight hours available

Doable for sure though if you want or need

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Even if you get a taxi (and that will be expensive) it will be well into the day before you arrive in SJPdP. Take your time, take the bus from Pamplona, get over the jetlag and start fresh from Saint Jean the next day, especially as you don´t mention having a booking for Orrison or Borda in which case you may have to carry on to Roncesvalles.

St JPdP is a beautiful atmospheric place, and wonderful to relax and have stroll around and a beer/coffee and a nice meal before starting your Camino.

Also as the wise people have pointed out you may not even be able to stop at Orisson/Borda if you haven't booked.

Best not to rush if you don't need to.

As others said, it depends a bit on your circumstances.
Myself, having been in St.Jean twice now, would be fine with spending an hour or two there and heading on. For a first time, i might have wanted to spend some more time.

Whats your general timeframe for the camino? Are you pressed to "save" one day by heading straight towards Orisson?
Where are you coming from? Could there be some jetlag?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for the responses. I will be coming from New York City, but split time between Nashville and Tokyo, jet lag is generally not a problem. No reservations but there is currently availability at Orisson. I am in no big rush as I’ve blocked out 7weeks for the trek.

Thank you for the responses. I will be coming from New York City, but split time between Nashville and Tokyo, jet lag is generally not a problem. No reservations but there is currently availability at Orisson. I am in no big rush as I’ve blocked out 7weeks for the trek.
I would book Orisson ASAP if you want to stay there. It gets filled very quickly and is your only option apart from Borda (which is also popular). But you could walk SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one day, or even follow the Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would book Orisson ASAP if you want to stay there. It gets filled very quickly and is your only option apart from Borda (which is also popular). But you could walk SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one day, or even follow the Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles.
Thank you. Borda is full, but Orisson has beds.

As many have already said make your decision and if it IS Orisson then reserve ASAP!!!
Do not be content with "Orisson has beds."
In today's world it will take less than a second for it to become fully booked.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You have plenty of time. Spend your first night in ST JPdP and soak up the atmosphere and history, have a leisurely start the next day to shake off any semblance of jetlag. Then an easy (albeit steep) trek to Orisson to enjoy the views and unique pilgrim experience there. The next day, with luck enjoy one of the most magical sunrises over the peaks of the Pyrenees, perhaps shared with someone you meet at Orisson.

I would stay in SJPdP for the night and walk to Roncesvalles the next day.
The part up to Orisson was a lovely little stroll up the hills. Had breakfast there and walked on.

It may be impossible to walk the RN, be prepared to walk via Valcarlos. Ask the staff at the Pilgrim's Office, if it's recommended to walk the Valcarlos route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am in no big rush as I’ve blocked out 7weeks for the trek.
Then relax and spend time in both SJPdP and Orisson. Most people do walk all the way to Roncesvalles in one day, but since you have plenty of time, enjoy the beautiful atmosphere in the Pyrenees.

It will only take a few hours to get to Orisson, so don't rush off first thing in the morning. Relax have a leisurely breakfast first. You'll want to remember this charming little town.

From NYC to where? Paris, Barcelona, Madrid or Lisbon? Then you are a full day or more, to SJPP. If you end up at Pamplona or Bordeaux at the tail end of your first day, then I suppose you would get to SJPP early enough to walk up to Orisson. I wouldn't though...the afternoon in Saint Jean is well spent having a meal by the river, checking in at the Pilgrim Office and preparing to begin. Also, I highly recommend staying in Roncevalles. The first night and dinner is a kind of right of passage, not to miss.
Just my opinion, but with 7 weeks, you have more than enough time to enjoy the towns along the way.
Just saw that you arrive in Pamplona at 9 am. I think I would still take a bus to SJPP and enjoy the rest of the day there- it's a bookend to your journey and worth the time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I arrive in Pamplona on April 16 at 9 AM and thinking about going directly to SJPP, checking in and starting straight out for Orisson. Has anyone else done this? Should I consider rather spending the day and night in SJPP and heading out early the 17th?
Stay in SJPP and start fresh the next morning. You'll be glad you did.

I would stay the night in SJPP, it’s a lovely town! Make sure to book a bed in Orisson, it was wonderful to spend the night and wake up early to see the sunrise! When I continued onto Roncevalles the next day, the winds were monstrous and I was glad to have spent the night in Orisson. I’m from Colorado and the walk over the mountain was like being on top of a 14er with sustained winds for 3+ hours. Thankfully I had poles to keep me steady!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ve done that on my second Camino — it works. Just let Orisson know you will be late. Dinner starts about 18:00. You will miss the fun of seeing SJPdP and the pilgrim vibe,

I would stay the night in SJPP, it’s a lovely town! Make sure to book a bed in Orisson, it was wonderful to spend the night and wake up early to see the sunrise! When I continued onto Roncevalles the next day, the winds were monstrous and I was glad to have spent the night in Orisson. I’m from Colorado and the walk over the mountain was like being on top of a 14er with sustained winds for 3+ hours. Thankfully I had poles to keep me steady!
Like the winds in Ouray last summer!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with others.
Book Orrison in way advance.
Stay in SJPDP and enjoy the hike up (as in REALLY UP) to Orrison and relax on their balcony overlooking the “mountains “.
Or…keep on from SJPDP over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles. Beautiful route!

It's a dicey time of year to make a decision really. the Napoleon route may still have snow. I would tend to plan to stay in SJPP at this point. Orison is a short but very tough climb going off a long journey and if you can rest up and get t o Roncesvalles the next day you won't have gained any time.

Aside from all the other good advice about recovering from jet lag, enjoying SJPdP, taking your time etc I’ll throw in a mention of the Pilgrim Mass. There appears to be one in the evening. It may be a suitable way to ease into the culture of the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back