• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training from a flat place

Lmsundaze

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2016), CP (2017)
I am starting my first camino in April next year. I live in coastal North Carolina, where it is completely flat, and am concerned about being prepared for hills on the Camino. Setting the treadmill to incline works for cardiovascular fitness, but my big worry is downhills -- no way to practice, I am not young (will be turning 70) and would appreciate any advice for getting ready. My one thought is avoid the steepest downhills by taking the bus, have osteoporosis, want to avoid injury.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I spend my winters in Florida and walk for several hours a day to stay fit. I have neuropathy and suffer from terrible pain in my right foot, trust me you will be ready for any hill the Camino can throw at you if you take your time. My advice is to walk with poles and if you feel like your pack is bad for your back, ship it ahead via Jacotrans. I walked more than 1200km this past summer over a 90 day time frame and only sent my bag ahead one day when it was blazing hot on the Meseta.

If possible, you could train on steps, real staircases, tall building or not. Gradually finding new real challenges. My advice would be to buy poles for walking as they will help you with the downhill gait. Putting the sticks before you and secure a foothold will ease your downstep considerably. You will obtain a four legged walk. Notice how normally your quadroceps muscles will stiffen as you do the same stops to your legs going down, and if they go cold as well, you will have a risk of falling.
Fear of falling over will enhance the stiffness of your walk when going downhill, so use walking poles if possible.
If you are not familiar with using them, go somewhere where you will not be recognized, if thats´s your concern.
I brought my newly bought, super collapsible Leki, just in case. Whizzed them out in my first sign of distress and has become a instant convert. Am only 60..I met many 70 yearolds with minor hickups but all troddled on. Do not worry...
On level ground they will make you be able to pace harder if you want and you will be able to straighten your back. Because after some days you will find that you stoop and bend over at to brace the weight of your rucksack, and now you will have this load every day for a month. By swtching to and from poles you will vary the distress if any...
So many good things come from using poles.....I found them indispensable and good insurance.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't worry, you can train for a camino in the flatlands -- I can't imagine my part of Illinois is any flatter than where you are! I'm not a trainer by any means, but I know that muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness are the two things that the Camino will want from you. Getting the leg muscles (especially the quads) strengthened with exercises is the best thing for hills, both ups and downs. There are tons of ways to do that, jus pick your favorite. The cardio exercise is important too, but if you are generally physically active you probably have the necessary level of endurance you will need for a Camino. The Camino Frances does not have huge amounts of elevation gain once you are in Spain, so you don't need to be an alpine climber to do well.

The one thing that I have never figured out how to train for is the asphalt. I just don't know of any way to train your foot to take the pounding it will take on those days when the Camino is on hard surfaces. The most cushioned shoe/orthotic you can find is essential. And then I would say two things -- always look for a non-asphalt alternative on the side of the road. They are frequently there but it's a little less convenient to walk on a dirt path on the side than on the road itself. And second, on the days when you have lots of asphalt -- ice, ice, ice. I usually bring a plastic bag folded up in my fanny pack, so I can pull it out at the end of the day. Ask the bar owner to put some cubes in the bag (never had a problem except for once on 15 caminos) and ice shins, heels, or whatever is aching. It's not a bad idea to ice as prevention either.

Buen camino, Laurie

How much does it usually cost to buy a cup of ice? If there is no set cost, what is an appropriate amount to offer? Thanks

I am starting my first camino in April next year. I live in coastal North Carolina, where it is completely flat, and am concerned about being prepared for hills on the Camino. Setting the treadmill to incline works for cardiovascular fitness, but my big worry is downhills -- no way to practice, I am not young (will be turning 70) and would appreciate any advice for getting ready. My one thought is avoid the steepest downhills by taking the bus, have osteoporosis, want to avoid injury.

lmsundaze:

Do you have a treadmill available for use. Treadmill can be set to very steep settings and, imo, great for hill training. I would also not worry too much about the uphills. You just slow down and keep putting one foot in front of the other. The downhills are the difficult part, imo, especially if wet.

You could also start in Pamplona to avoid the most difficult hill out of SJPdP or at least stay at Orisson the first night.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with Laurie. I train on asphalt in Philadelphia and it is still SO hard to walk hours on it while on the Camino. One day on the Camino de Madrid, my feet could not take another step on the asphalt (small ditches on both sides of the road, so no walking there), so I tried hitch hiking!!!!!! No one was interested in picking up a middle aged Pilgrim, just as well I guess!
Imsundaze, you'll do fine!

How much does it usually cost to buy a cup of ice? If there is no set cost, what is an appropriate amount to offer? Thanks

Hi, Judy,
I have never been charged for ice. I find that if I give the owner or wait staff my plastic bag, they are happy to put in more than enough for me. It's not infrequent for me to have to say -- ¡basta! (that's enough!) because they'll just keep on shoveling it in. I usually add a little tip in thanks. Buen camino, Laurie

Trekking poles are key. Recommend two for the stability.

I live in Florida and have trekked all over the world. It is always a challenge to train when it is flat. No piece of machine or workout prepares you for hiking like hiking with ascents and descents.

Three things that have helped me in Florida: 1) find a tall building and work stairs into your cardio routine - actual stairs work you more than a machine; 2) work a treadmill incline into your routine and 2) look into a Rebounder trampoline for the home - I believe they make it would a stability bar now that you can hang onto as you gain confidence. I like the rebounder because you can do it home, it's low impact but builds strength, endurance and balance. (there are different DVDs you can buy separately for work out ideas) I got the Rebounder tip 10+ years ago while preparing to hike the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim with a heavy pack. The Rebounder is not cheap but if used correctly - it is an amazing low impact work out to build up muscles surrounding your joints around hips, knees, ankles.

Final advice: Go slow and take your time. It is not a race. Use the trekking poles. You will be amazed the strength you will build. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am one of the slackers that rarely trains for my caminos...generally due to work and minimal time before I know I will have the time off. When I do train it is on flat land (Dallas is very flat). Just take it slow and you will see your fitness improve each day. Regarding downhills - use trekking poles. I didn't use them on my first two caminos (way back then we all laughed when we saw those crazy Germans with all their gear looking like giant insects with their two poles), but decided to try them as I got older. What a difference, especially on downhill sections. You can transfer a lot of weight off your knees to the poles and they add a lot of stability. I also try to plan steep hills for early morning when I am fresh and have cooler temperatures. I wouldn't plan to avoid downhills by taking transportation...wait and see how you do and then decide. You have a long time to build up your stamina and I think you will be surprised at how well you do. As everyone advises - just listen to your body and go at your own pace.
I am currently training for the Salvador and Primativo on flat land and admit I am a little intimidated by the number of mountains and valleys on these routes. However, I am always nervous before I leave for a camino but it always ends up being fine. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Three words come to mind: "high school bleachers."

On my first Camino Frances in 2013, I walked with a petite woman from central Florida, who told me her secret to conquering the Pyrenees was to walk her local high school's athletic field bleacher seats with her poles, and her rucksack and hiking shoes, as often as possible. I thought about it and I do believe she is right.

The first day out of St. Jean Pied de Port is about that steep in places. If you can do bleachers, increasing your stamina over a period of time, you should identify problems in advance and come up with "fixes." You will also improve your conditioning.

Besides, this is much cheaper than joining a gym or buying an expensive piece of training equipment.

I hope this helps.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Most people train their first week on the camino.
Just do the best you can, and when you are on the Camino, allow enough extra time the first week to build yourself up.
Going over the Pyranees isn't so much a mountain as it is a steep hill.
Take it in two days and you'll be fine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Trekking poles are key. Recommend two for the stability.

I live in Florida and have trekked all over the world. It is always a challenge to train when it is flat. No piece of machine or workout prepares you for hiking like hiking with ascents and descents.

Three things that have helped me in Florida: 1) find a tall building and work stairs into your cardio routine - actual stairs work you more than a machine; 2) work a treadmill incline into your routine and 2) look into a Rebounder trampoline for the home - I believe they make it would a stability bar now that you can hang onto as you gain confidence. I like the rebounder because you can do it home, it's low impact but builds strength, endurance and balance. (there are different DVDs you can buy separately for work out ideas) I got the Rebounder tip 10+ years ago while preparing to hike the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim with a heavy pack. The Rebounder is not cheap but if used correctly - it is an amazing low impact work out to build up muscles surrounding your joints around hips, knees, ankles.

Final advice: Go slow and take your time. It is not a race. Use the trekking poles. You will be amazed the strength you will build. Buen Camino!

+ additional thought - if you do look into the Rebounder - definitely research it to determine if it is right for you and discuss with your doctor. It is a $ investment.

Hi, I am living in the Netherlands and a large part is below sea level .It's flatter than flat. :cool: For some hill training we went to Germany. That worked for us, for my wife in 2013 and for me this year.
Wish you happy planning and training and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi, I am living in the Netherlands and a large part is below sea level .It's flatter than flat. :cool: For some hill training we went to Germany. That worked for us, for my wife in 2013 and for me this year.
Wish you happy planning and training and a Buen Camino, Peter.
So True, Peter...Danish myself and we have precious few mountains...
Quote from two German girls in Burgos; " all the bruised and wounded people coming down to Roncevalles all seemed to be Dutch or Danish". What a national stigma !!

BUT another half of the problem is footwear and socks, ladies and Gents...so beware !!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So True, Peter...Danish myself and we have precious few mountains...
Quote from two German girls in Burgos; " all the bruised and wounded people coming down to Roncevalles all seemed to be Dutch or Danish". What a national stigma !!

BUT another half of the problem is footwear and socks, ladies and Gents...so beware !!
What the German girls quoted is not true I think. I didn't had any problems what so ever. It was my favorite stretch.
Wish you well, Peter.

This works for me on steep ascents and descents with a heavy pack. Try a zig zag movement if the path is wide enough. The back side of EL Padron is a bit rocky and narrow in some spots for this , but some of the other uphill and downhill areas are ok for this maneuver . In mountain areas all of the game trails follow this approach and you will find it to be the least difficult way up or down the mountain. If the trail is wide enough a zig zag will make it easier on you. Trekking poles are important for balance using the tripod technique on steep downhills . Three points of contact on the ground will keep you safe. Slower is better and enjoy the walk. If you try the zig zag on stadium bleachers , you will know what I am trying to explain. Sorry if this is confusing . Buen Camino

Steep ascent is easier thean steep de-scents; When you dampen your step down, you will activate your Quadroceps Femoris muscle group and heavily sap your strength. So either slow down considerably, rely on walking poles that essentially will makes you a four legged animal, or shift walking pattern..
I watched with envy being overtaken by walkers who I knew to be north of the border Frenchmen.
They simply took long stretched strides and seem to glide by like horses.....

( Once ran down Ben Nevis from the summit back on the steep YouthHostel trail, by recommandation of a Geordie runner who said we would not miss a step. And we didn´t.
But that was 30 yrs ago and with a lighter load, so I will not recommend.
I remember laughing my head off and not having any sore quads..!!!)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back