A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Trains from Santiago to Leon

Hi, I am making the pilgrimage in April from Leon. I need help with trains, i get into Santiago on the Ryanair flight at 13:05 and then eed to get to Leon. But it appears the only Leon train leave early morning...

Any help would be appreciated...

Thank you for a great forum - very helpful indeed.

Advertisment

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
Hi Hanleyman and welcome to the forum!

Regarding the trains, I believe you would have to wait until the next day. I did also check the busses (http://www.alsa.es) and it looks like they have left as well when you arrive. :-(

...don't know if you have already bought your plane tickets, but if not have you considered flying into Oviedo (Listed as "Asturias" on the Ryanair website)?

..then from Oviedo a few hours by bus (see alsa website) to Leon.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Peter Robins

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Valladolid is faster than Asturias, as the airport is way the other side of Oviedo. [later edit: alsa.es run a direct service from Valladolid airport to Leon - takes 1h45] Or hire a car, of course.

It's been said on this forum before, but I'll say it again: if you want to get to central Spain, don't fly to Santiago! Public transport links to/from Galicia are generally poor.

Paulus

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (May 2005), Norte (May 2006), Vezelay (2007).
Handyman,

If you not have booked yet....try to get in Valladolid! Transfer with Ryanair-bus to the bus-station (ticket at the Ryanair-office at the airport). Just a little warm-up walk of 10 minutes to the Renfe-station.
Easy way to Leon by train (severals on a day).

Take a look at http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html for train-schedules Valladolid-Leon.

Buen Camino!

Paul

William Marques

Staff member
Donating Member
Valladolid

Another alternative from Valladolid though perhaps not for this journey is to take the Via Verde along the Canal de Castilla to Fromista. Doing this would add about a week to your journey time compared with catching the bus to Leon.

http://www.viasverdes.com/

Buen Camino
William

Advertisment

Peter Robins

Veteran Member
Donating Member
if you're going to go under your own steam from Valladolid airport to the Camino Frances, more appropriate than the canal towpath ISTM would be to use the Madrid route, which passes a few km W of the airport at Wamba, joining the CF at Sahagun.

trains to Leon

Thank you all very much for your advice. I have already got my air ticket to Santiago, so I shall be staying there the fiorst night and getting the train to leon the next morning. You live and learn...

Hanleyman

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.5%
  • June