• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transferring in Madrid: Do I have to pick up my checked bag?

BobY333

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - which Camino? IDK!
2025 CF from SJPdP?
Hi there - I'm traveling in May 2022 and have a ticket through Madrid to Asturias/Oviedo. I hope to carry my pack onto the plane with me...BUT, I will be bringing my hiking sticks. So, as a backup plan in case I have to check my pack because of the sticks, I'm going to bring an Ikea zip up bag to put the pack into for the flight.

My question - assuming I have to check the pack, will I be picking it up in Madrid to clear customs prior to taking my Asturias/Oviedo flight?

The reason for my question - I have a fairly long connection in Madrid. There is an earlier connection, but it is only about an hour and fifteen after I land, so I chose to be safe and book on the later one. But, if I'm early and I can get my pack in Madrid, then I may be able to get on the earlier flight to OVD. But, if my pack would be checked straight through to OVD, then I'd just wait.

So, does anyone know if my pack would be checked all the way through or I would have to pick it up in Madrid and clear customs?

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Always, in Europe, whenever BOTH flights have been on the same ticket, my checked bag has gone through to the final destination.

However, not ALL countries do this around the world. For example. If you fly from Europe to Cape Town via Johannesburg (on the same ticket), you have to pick up your checked bag in Johannesburg, and check it in again to Cape Town.

Hi there - I'm traveling in May 2022 and have a ticket through Madrid to Asturias/Oviedo. I hope to carry my pack onto the plane with me...BUT, I will be bringing my hiking sticks. So, as a backup plan in case I have to check my pack because of the sticks, I'm going to bring an Ikea zip up bag to put the pack into for the flight.

My question - assuming I have to check the pack, will I be picking it up in Madrid to clear customs prior to taking my Asturias/Oviedo flight?

The reason for my question - I have a fairly long connection in Madrid. There is an earlier connection, but it is only about an hour and fifteen after I land, so I chose to be safe and book on the later one. But, if I'm early and I can get my pack in Madrid, then I may be able to get on the earlier flight to OVD. But, if my pack would be checked straight through to OVD, then I'd just wait.

So, does anyone know if my pack would be checked all the way through or I would have to pick it up in Madrid and clear customs?

Thanks!M

Read the label on your bag when you check it in, that’s definitive.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When you check in they may also tell you if your bag is going through to your final destination - but you may need to ask them as well to confirm that.

Read the label on your bag when you check it in, that’s definitive.
Except that you don't have the bag anymore, as it is now on their side of the counter 😃 .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are on the same carrier, you will likely pick it up at customs, get checked and then put it back on a belt to check through. If you are on different carriers and have to change terminals, you probably have to take it and recheck it.

So, as a backup plan in case I have to check my pack because of the sticks, I'm going to bring an Ikea zip up bag to put the pack into for the flight.
If you check a bag in the US and your final destination is OVD, you will not see your bag again till you get there, as others have said. The US is the odd guy out here, where you have to pick up your checked bag at your US port of entry and then re-check. That’s not what they do in Spain.

But I wanted to tease out a few scenarios here.

First, even if someone at TSA in the US tells you that you can’t take your poles on, I would never check my pack. Check the poles alone in a bag and carry on your pack. Many say, oh the odds are so small, others say, I’ve checked my pack many times and nothing has ever happened. That’s true, but it happens. The forum has lots of stories about it happening, and it would be a real pain to have to replace your pack and all its contents when you arrive in Oviedo.

But I think it is likely that you are going to be able to carry on your poles through US security, if they are fold-up. I have done this numerous times, most recently in September 2021. I know there are many who say it’s illegal, but I must be lucky, because TSA can see them and hasn’t ever said anything. But I am not saying this to encourage you to try to carry through your poles. I think it is quite likely that you will be able to carry on your poles for the US-Madrid flight. But when you get to Madrid, you are going to have to go through security again. Madrid security used to let folded poles through without batting an eye, but the rules must have changed because it seems they no longer do. I think there is a very good chance that you will not be able to take those poles through Madrid security to get to your domestic flight to Oviedo. And then what? You will not likely have time to go back out and check them, and re-enter the airport, so you may lose them.

Long way of saying that what I would do is pack up the poles, check them in the US, and hope that they arrive in Asturias. They probably will, but even if they don’t you will only have one item to buy.

Same carrier (Iberia). I was wondering since I know I’ve heard announcements on other flights in the past that you have to get your bag at the first point of entry, then check it through to a domestic connection. I figured it may be the same here. I’ll be prepared either way!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for those comments - I hate checking bags, so I’ll keep my pack. I’ll send the poles through in the IKEA bag I was intending to bring anyway (I think it’s pretty light, and would serve me well if it’s really rainy and I use it as a pack liner.

Same carrier (Iberia). I was wondering since I know I’ve heard announcements on other flights in the past that you have to get your bag at the first point of entry, then check it through to a domestic connection. I figured it may be the same here. I’ll be prepared either way!
That's true in the US, but not most other countries.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Except that you don't have the bag anymore, as it is now on their side of the counter 😃 .
True enough - but you usually get given a portion of the tag as a ‘receipt’ - it’s often stuck to the back of my passport.

Anyway, coherent explanation seems to have resolved the question!

I've personally known several clients whose bag did not make it to Madrid in time for their Camino.
I encourage my walkers to carry on their bags for this reason.
One fellow didn't get his bag until his Camino was finished.
So if you check your bag, you might want to be sure you have funds to replace everything if needed.
Just sayin'

Things change but the one Camino I was able to fly to Biarritz through Madrid I did not have to collect my bag.
Also, I wanted to share my experience last Oct. with a lost bag post Camino going from Madrid to Barcelona. They couldn’t find my bag, but I had an apple AirTag in it and was able to locate it within the Barcelona airport. Saved the day for me!

Absolutely check your poles to Oviedo as has been reiterated above. It would be a time nightmare to check them to Madrid & have to leave the inner immigration sanctum to retrieve and re-check them to Oviedo. My Camino partner did this in November & almost missed the flight. Too much unnecessary stress on what is already stressful COVID travel. YES keep your backpack with you at all times. Bubble wrap and check poles in light bag. If poles get lost, Decathlon or local store to replace them and save guard your 🚶🏻‍♂️🚶🏽‍♀️

Whenever I fly I have always checked the bag tag with no problem once they put the tag on. I have had a wrong tag placed on bag. Those cities in the US that start with San are east for them to mix up.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Just a question. If you are walking the same or part of a Camino you have walked before, do you stay at the same alburgues as you did or try somewhere new?
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back