• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from Sanabres to Madrid?

Sunopo

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP, Hærvejen, Mozárabe,
I'll need to get to Madrid from somewhere near Puebla de Sanabria or A Gudina, does anyone have suggestions for the most straight forward transport? It looks like high speed trains stop at Puebla but I'm unable to find anything on Renfe website.
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Susan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ideally transport morning of Saturday May 13, otherwise Friday May 12. Thanks
Trainline is not showing any trains from A Gudiña on that Saturday. Very odd but perhaps there are problems with the rail service. Trainline does say that there are two buses to Madrid that day. Takes just over 5 hours.
Screenshot_2023-05-04-19-46-26-340.jpg

I looked on train line. From A Guidina you can take the bus. Takes about 5 hours or so From Puebla there are some train options and train bus options with transfers and they all take longer. Bus looks quicker from Puebla de Sanabre

edit: @Bradypus was faster than me....

Here you go. Two bus a day. Direct route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rom2Rio shows a direct connection from A Gudina-Porta de Galicia to Madrid Chamartin at 9:13 on saturday morning. It takes 2:21.

Every time I've taken the high speed train thought to Madrid it hasn't stopped at A Gudina. It does stop at Pueblo de Sanabria. You will need to catch an earlier normal train that runs between these 2 stations that will get you there in time to catch the high speed one. It's an easy way of getting back to Madrid, both comfortable and scenic. I wish we had a rail system like Spain's back in Australia.

Every time I've taken the high speed train thought to Madrid it hasn't stopped at A Gudina. It does stop at Pueblo de Sanabria. You will need to catch an earlier normal train that runs between these 2 stations that will get you there in time to catch the high speed one. It's an easy way of getting back to Madrid, both comfortable and scenic. I wish we had a rail system like Spain's back in Australia.
Hi, glad to hear that it really does stop in Puebla because I can see the train times but have yet to find where to book. On Renfe the stop doesn't seem to exist. Perhaps there is another website for the high speed trains?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
important note to the hi speed station at Puebla de Sanabria.
This is not at the old station, which is a snail line, but the new one:

quite some way from the town itself so you will need to order a taxi beforehand.
Learned this the hard way, as I arrived and had to slog on to the town, no taxies to be had....

Last edited:
Great! Can you share that info with us?
Well for booking bus there is the Avanza link Canuk shared above and for train I found that by scrolling down on Renfe website through all the destinations I eventually found A.Gudiña and so I could search trains from there to Madrid. I had found that if I just typed in the name it wouldnt come up.

Well for booking bus there is the Avanza link Canuk shared above and for train I found that by scrolling down on Renfe website through all the destinations I eventually found A.Gudiña and so I could search trains from there to Madrid. I had found that if I just typed in the name it wouldnt come up.
And for trains from Puebla de Sanabria one has to search for Sanabria Alta Velocidad...

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back