• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel pants that don't look like travel pants

Bajaracer

Camino Frances 2013 Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013) Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Notice they don't have the unnecessary Cargo pockets. 99.99 % of people don't know what cargo pockets are for anyway. My first Platoon Sergeant in Viet Nam told me that every time I threw a hand grenade to put the ring in a cargo pocket and after I had filled both Cargo Pockets, he would let me go home. Anyway after having expensive pants or shirts stolen while traveling, I buy my clothes for less than $2 at a local Goodwill store and don't bother bringing them back with me. Found out that Second hand clothing stores located near hospitals tend to get high quality clothes--including hiking pants--donated by doctors who can afford such gear.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bluffworks only has trousers for men. I've used pants and shorts from Tilley and ExOfficio for travel and for walking, and I'm extremely well-pleased with them. Both firms offer stylish clothes that launder quickly, dry overnight, and wear like iron. (The Tilley pants started off with 4 months in Afghanistan 5 years ago and are still going strong - lifetime guarantee!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
..........The Tilley pants started off with 4 months in Afghanistan 5 years ago and are still going strong - lifetime guarantee!)
As long as it was the pants you wore in Afghanistan, and not the shorts!!
Suzanne ;-)))

"99.99 % of people don't know what cargo pockets are for anyway"

Cargo pants were first worn by members of the British Armed Forces in 1938, and were introduced to the United States in the mid-1940s during World War II. The large pockets characteristic of cargo pants were originally designed to allow paratroopers more room to hold radios and extra ammunition.

On the Camino they are used for holding Brierley Guide, passport, phone and whatever else takes your fancy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Quick drying fabric, secure pockets, and zip-off legs are important features of pants. Velco closures are only semi-secure on cargo pockets. Columbia has the most choices, and are affordable when on sale. Tilley has the features at a high price. Propper has good fabric, but no removable legs. Style? Not so important.;)

I bought great pants from Eddie Bauer that are lightweight with great pockets, zippered, and dry quickly and look good even off the trail. These are for women but I bet men's exist too. They've been perfect for camino and I'll wear them back home.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Never really got shaggy, crumpled or even muddy on either Camino and shaved almost everyday.
Now there were some funky peregrinos on both Caminos I walked that one could smell before one saw in the albergues. Phew.....o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I read the OP was that these pants were in keeping with the thought that "I am always ready to start walking." I read it, not as bringing office wear to the Camino but rather, coming as close as possible to bringing Camino clothing to the office. Don't you all pick up a piece of clothing, balance it in one hand and think "This would be good for the Camino", regardless of how soon you think you will return?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another good make of travel trousers that work on and off the road, say if you are traveling before or after the Camino, are Craghoppers Kiwi Pro. They come in three lengths and three incarnations: shorts, capris and full length trousers. They are very very comfortable, stretchy to fit your shape and follow your movement, shower and dirt repellent to a certain degree, dry quickly and never crumple. I have used them on most of my long walks and will wear them again. I might wear a skirt and tights for walking but take the trousers for evening, colder weather, bad rain and/or the odd night in a hotel :D

The way I read the OP was that these pants were in keeping with the thought that "I am always ready to start walking." I read it, not as bringing office wear to the Camino but rather, coming as close as possible to bringing Camino clothing to the office. Don't you all pick up a piece of clothing, balance it in one hand and think "This would be good for the Camino", regardless of how soon you think you will return?

Thank you! How many pilgrims still wear their hiking pants after the Camino? How many would wear the (they don't work well as shorts) zip off pants? Not many. With travel pants like this, it gives you versatility in your travel wardrobe, it has features that combine hiking pants and khakis into something you would still wear after the Camino, just add a nice shirt and shoes and go out to dinner.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
At least one...;)
And another one!
Swedish Fjällreven has zipoff and nonzipoff travelpants that are light and has a lot of pockets included a securitypocket at the inside.

Im sure the minor negative comments were meant as "tongue in cheek"

Yes Baja they look great. Big question - where can you buy them? For those of us in (say) Oz are they available via mail order?
Cheers

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@Bajaracer -

Thanks for the tip on these. I had recently retired two pair of "office slacks" and decided to give these a try for both replacement of that function as well as travel.

After two months of heavy use, both at the office and out on the trail, all I can say is this. They are simply superb.

Easy to wash and fast-drying and they are actually hard to get dirty to start with. They are extremely comfortable as well even though they show not a trace of wear despite some close encounters with rocks and brush.

Their only drawback is that my wife is envious that the company does not make slacks for women - yet.

B

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This company makes some nice hiking/outdoor pants that don't look too much like hiking pants, but they are pricey.
www.kuhl.com
Oh I love the Kuhl pants. Bought a pair for my last Camino and they were so comfortable I wore them most of the time and just wore the other pair while they were drying. They had an internal draw string which allowed me to tighten them as my waist grew smaller

Just bought two pairs of Columbia hiking pants that only have one small pocket on the thigh. No giant cargo pockets for me to fill up. I figure I'll carry pilgrim passport, map/guide and some cash in a waist pack. And a money belt of course. Think that will work or do I really need all those pockets?

Just bought two pairs of Columbia hiking pants that only have one small pocket on the thigh. No giant cargo pockets for me to fill up. I figure I'll carry pilgrim passport, map/guide and some cash in a waist pack. And a money belt of course. Think that will work or do I really need all those pockets?
I actually love the pockets...especially with zippers. I always keep my passport, extra cash and credit card in a ziplock plastic bag and it fits in the larger zip pocket on my leg...never leaves my side and no bulky money belt around my waist. I find the other pockets are good for chapstick, daily spending money, tissues ( drippy nose/toilet-hate when there is no TP in the toilet), cell phone, mini-camera ( I know-redundant to the phone but it has manual settings and telephoto lens), daily map/instructions. When I drop my pack at a bar, I have all my valuables and necessities on me so no need to worry about the pack missing or something being stolen...although I would cry if my trekking poles disappeared...just too big to fit in the pockets. I get paranoid that I might lose my valuables so you can recognize me each morning...I am the one doing the funny "touch dance"...leg pocket, pants pocket, chest pocket... I usually do it again about 30 minutes into walking when I think I left something at the albergue...is it Alzheimer's?!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I actually love the pockets...especially with zippers. I always keep my passport, extra cash and credit card in a ziplock plastic bag and it fits in the larger zip pocket on my leg...never leaves my side and no bulky money belt around my waist. I find the other pockets are good for chapstick, daily spending money, tissues ( drippy nose/toilet-hate when there is no TP in the toilet), cell phone, mini-camera ( I know-redundant to the phone but it has manual settings and telephoto lens), daily map/instructions. When I drop my pack at a bar, I have all my valuables and necessities on me so no need to worry about the pack missing or something being stolen...although I would cry if my trekking poles disappeared...just too big to fit in the pockets. I get paranoid that I might lose my valuables so you can recognize me each morning...I am the one doing the funny "touch dance"...leg pocket, pants pocket, chest pocket... I usually do it again about 30 minutes into walking when I think I left something at the albergue...is it Alzheimer's?!
Just Camino OCD. I like the idea of not having a sweaty money belt. And I too need those nose rags...

RailRiders. Wore a khaki pair hiking, a black pair not hiking (while khaki ones were drying). Lightweight, easy hand wash, easy dry, comfortable. And yes- I still wear them, even at work.

For "normal" travel I am going to check out the ones bajaracer posted. They look like they have just the right number of pockets, in just the right places- unlike something from 5.11 Tactical, who make great pants, if you love pockets.

However, for the Camino, I'll take my Kull stealth convertibles. Pockets and zip offs are not obvious, the fit is great, and they managed to make them light weight & durable. They didn't make them cheep, though.

Also you can add one more to "still wearing them post camino" group. But I was wearing them before the Camino, too. I camp and hike regularly, so I might me an outlier.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Never really got shaggy, crumpled or even muddy on either Camino and shaved almost everyday.
Now there were some funky peregrinos on both Caminos I walked that one could smell before one saw in the albergues. Phew.....o_O
Yeah, I'm thinking that's going to be a little tough on my squeamishness.

Oh please...

Whatever works for you. REI Sahara Convertable Cargos for me, except when being washed, everyday on the Camino, mostly with the legs zipped off last year.

Now I'm really curious about the pocket thing!
I always used mine to put stuff into, and because they are on the sides, they are easy to reach. Have I been doing it wrong the entire time???? o_O

The trousers from the OP seem nice indeed, but I love my zipoff quick drying travelling pants! (Worn in more than 10 trips, 2 caminos and counting!)

€46,-
The zip off pants/shorts totally make sense. But the vain side of me won't let me go that route. They so brand one as a pilgrim tourist (not that I'm not obviously one anyway). So I only bring one pair of shorts. Rarely, it gets cold enough I wear my base layer tights under them.

Rohan have been making travel clothing that looks like everyday clothing, since the late 70s.
They make clothes that can be worn for business meetings, evenings out, executive travel etc. as well as walking, scrambling, even climbing ... in all climates.
It’s been the raison d’être for the company since its inception.

Its clothing is lightweight, quick drying, packs down smaller than most equivalent items and has useful security features. Some items have built-in protection from the sun and from insects like mosquitos.
It’s also very comfortable to wear.
They strip things down to essentials ... weight reduction, with no loss of performance, is central to what they do.
Their clothes last for at least 25 years (in my experience) and the company are really good at fixing things that their customers have managed to damage.

As with most quality outdoor stuff, it’s better to wait for their sales, which do give very good discounts.

The trousers in the OP’s link look like trousers that Rohan have been designing for decades.
Snarky Nomad gave their travel jeans an excellent review:

https://www.rohan.co.uk/snarkynomad-traveljeans

.... not that many of us would give pack room (or weight) to any pair of jeans, no matter how much lighter, quick-drying, less bulky than a normal pair of jeans they are! ;)

PS I think I’d better emphasise that I have no commercial interest in Rohan ... I just love wearing (and carrying) their gear. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you! How many pilgrims still wear their hiking pants after the Camino? How many would wear the (they don't work well as shorts) zip off pants? Not many. With travel pants like this, it gives you versatility in your travel wardrobe, it has features that combine hiking pants and khakis into something you would still wear after the Camino, just add a nice shirt and shoes and go out to dinner.
Me too. But I hike at home too. Love my cargo shorts. Would never wear long pants. Ever. If its cold I wear tights. Off the Camino I never wear polyester. Weird how I compartmentalise my life and my clothes.
I would feel weird hiking in 'office suitable' clothes. However my Camino cargo shorts dont look like the army type, they are somewhat sleeker, and have all sorts of hidden zippered pockets, that dont look bulky . They're black and could at a pinch with the right blouse be worn with a wedge sandal for a decent casual look.
However that would make me look like a tourist and I prefer to look like a pilgrim. (at least in Spain I do)

Last edited:
@Anamiri
I haven’t worn shorts for about 30 years .... UK weather, pale skin and aversion to sun cream ... I’d rather cover up once I’ve had my 20 minutes vit D soak.

My favourite outdoor trousers are 4way stretch and fit brilliantly, dry out really quickly, and don’t flap around. They don’t feel like polyester, either ... no idea why not ...
But I only wear them for walking/scrambling.
Like you, I have an aversion to polyester, for ‘normal’ use .. to any artificial fibre, really ... and I can’t wear it for underwear at all.
It is odd that we can ‘compartmentalise’ our clothes ...

I’d never thought of wearing tights/leggings under shorts, until I saw so many posts recommending it on here.
If I can find a decent pair of shorts, I might give it a try :)

I've worn the hiking pants I wore on the Camino frequently on weekends since, especially if the weather is going to be hot or if I will be doing much walking. They were zip off pants that convert to shorts. I don'r wear them often as shorts, though. I actually find it cooler with them as long pants, since they shade my lower legs and are light and loose enough not to heat them.

€46,-
The Camino just got them broken in, it's hot here in Texas so the legs are zipped off most of the time but, they just feel right. Probably wear the same ones next year on my Ingles/Finisterre walk.

This is an ancient thread and fashions have changed, but I've found Levis are pretty much acceptable anywhere in the world these days as casual and office wear. I took a pair with me on the Camino last year for "my evening wear."

Notice they don't have the unnecessary Cargo pockets. 99.99 % of people don't know what cargo pockets are for anyway. My first Platoon Sergeant in Viet Nam told me that every time I threw a hand grenade to put the ring in a cargo pocket and after I had filled both Cargo Pockets, he would let me go home. Anyway after having expensive pants or shirts stolen while traveling, I buy my clothes for less than $2 at a local Goodwill store and don't bother bringing them back with me. Found out that Second hand clothing stores located near hospitals tend to get high quality clothes--including hiking pants--donated by doctors who can afford such gear.
Originally it was meant to be a map pocket (like they were going to issue maps to every Squaddie in the British Army) and there was just the one on the left leg.
Somewhere in the family archive is a photo of my Dad in WW2 looking very dapper, field cap set at a jaunty angle, hands behind his back in a formal "at ease" stance, taken on the day he got his one and only stripe (Lance Bombardier, RA), the whole effect ruined by the rectangular bulge in the cargo pocket. When challenged as to what it was he'd claim it was his pocket bible whereas in fact it was a 2oz tobacco tin. Though how he managed to keep it filled during rationing in war time UK is a mystery . . . .

Last edited:

€46,-

The Camino Macarena? At the start of every wallking day (and about 5 times a day after that).

http://shop.bluffworks.com

http://snarkynomad.com/so-these-are-probably-the-best-travel-pants-on-the-planet-right-now/

I might have to try these out, they may be on the pricey side, but they look like they normal pants that you can wear before, during, and after the Camino yet still be office appropriate when you are home.
First rule for any kind of trouser, travel or not: don't put ANYTHING in your back pockets that you wouldn't be happy for a pickpocket to take home with him. Read the review - iPhone peaking out of back pocket? "Now where did I put my phone? It was here a minute ago!"

"99.99 % of people don't know what cargo pockets are for anyway"

Cargo pants were first worn by members of the British Armed Forces in 1938, and were introduced to the United States in the mid-1940s during World War II. The large pockets characteristic of cargo pants were originally designed to allow paratroopers more room to hold radios and extra ammunition.

On the Camino they are used for holding Brierley Guide, passport, phone and whatever else takes your fancy.
Ah the P37 battledress trousers, rough serge wool that acted like sandpaper on your legs and probably the reason why, although I'm a hairy chested type, I have almost no hair on my legs below mid-thigh - much to my daughters' chagrin.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.